1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to add a skeet range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhmorrisn, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

Our club is starting from square one to built/install a Skeet range. Room isn’t a problem but knowing were to start is. We got the NRA Range Source Book to get ideas from but I would like to hear from others on how they did it.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Get the specs from NSSA. They have large drawings that will help. I believe the NRA drawings may be flawed.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Consider using overlay fields, so you don't have to have too far to walk from the clubhouse or signup area.

Every club is different but start right or suffer in the future.

Note: Trap only places sometimes have the fields too close together for overlays.

We have 6 overlay fields, needed because we do not have room for a long line of fields.

HM

4. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

Explain this over lay system a little bit more.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you can find it Winchester used to have specifications it had printed for their shooting ranges and I remember seeing a typical club layout somewhere.

Possibly Whiz white might have the info.

The NSSA is also a good place to go.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If building new, on field storage of targets and equipment is the way to go...

Both clubs are in Vermont!

joepotosky_2008_030316.jpg

joepotosky_2008_030317.jpg

7. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Tough background on both - must make good shooters!

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Skeet fields are like chiggers. They are easier to get than than they are to get rid of.

jim brown

9. halfmile

There you go again. You better come out of the closet.

HM

10. 85TTR

85TTR Member

Found this in one of my folders. Also check the link above. Paul

Combo_Skeet_and_Trap_a.jpg

Combo_Skeet_and_Trap_b.jpg

SkeeetfieldPDF.jpg

11. WTW

WTW Member

AMEN for Jim Brown

Ted

12. C1

C1 Member

I would suggest you only use wood for construction. Some day you will want to burn it down and cinder block buildings need to be soaked with a lot more kerosene.

You will save your club a bunch of money if you don't build it. A whole lot of money. More money than you can ever imagine. And you will have a much friendlier club. With money in the bank.

Never talked to a member of a club that had a skeet range over 10 years that didn't want to burn it down. Some even did.

Don't do it. You'll be poor and sorry!

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

C1

What a load of crap...

14. fly

fly Active Member

just make sure you have the required shot drop zone in 3 directions.

anyone who doesn't promote all kinds of shooting sports is a DB.

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

We built our overlay fields with station 8 skeet overlayed on the 16 yard trap station 3. The layout above would be better if you are going to have an active skeet field next to an active trap field. Our overlay fields are used pretty much only for skeet except when we have a big trap shoot, then they are all used for trap only.

john

16. halfmile

The layout shown is a good one.

Be careful here. It is easy to try and save space by moving the trap layout back a few yards. Bad Idea. Turbulence above the trap house makes for very jumpy skeet targets.

Don't ask how I know this one. (6 fields' worth)

HM

17. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I agree. Any GOOD club should promote all shotgun sports if finances and enough land is to be had. Its a shame to see any club abandon any segment of shotgunning. I have seen several locally fail because of that.

18. mag410

mag410 Active Member

The layout above is fine, but if you want to utilize the trap machine as part of a 5-stand or for other games, then side slide the trap field back such that the 23 yd line of post three falls on station 4 of the skeet field. This puts the trap house 4 yards closer to the skeet stations and makes it much more useful.

There is no official combo field layout. The 27 yard is most common, especially where the trap fields were added after the skeet fields. Each field must conform it its sports rules. The most recommended direction to face either a trap of skeet field is NE. West should be avoided, as it would preclude shooting in the afternoon.

Michael Goines

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Missoula Trap & Skeet Club has 5 overlay fields. One of the fields is even used for 5 stand with an incomer & high tower outbound. So here you have all 3 fields being used during one shooting game. As for this thing about skeet shooters being sissy pants,I remember talking to just about the best skeet shooter of the past 30 years. I knew him & had a few lunches with him. I asked how he was doing target wise. He said he hadn't missed a single target in the last 600 he shot at. Yup,it was at Vandalia during the Grand & he was shooting 16 yd targets. Just for the fun of it,of course. Can any of you hotshot loudmouths do that? Run 600 straight 16 yd targets at the Grand. Just for the fun of it.
    The guy was Wayne Mays.

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Story about Wayno doesn't surprise me in the least. Probably the best all around shotgunner the world has ever seen. Unfortunately sporting clays didn't come around until he was in his mid to late 50s, or he could have been dominant in that as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how much land required for skeet range
how to add a new trap and skeet range on the internet
nssa skeet field layout

skeet range layouts

skeet shooting field layout

trap field layout

trap shooting range layout
what do in need to start a skeet range