1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***HOW TIGHT ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What is the proper method to tightening the stock bolt on a K-80. I asked the Smithy at Krieghoff and he said tighten until stock wrench starts to flex. Damn that seems tight to me. I would damn sure hate to crack the stock. What is everyone's method on how tight to make it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Beni

Beni Member

I would use a torque wrench set to inch lbs and see where your at now,a flexing tool is not much help beni

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It kind of amazed me that none of the manufactures ever say torque to a set inch pound #. I am sure they have there reasons but it sure would be easier in my book.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There is no torque setting because you are compressing wood. No two woods will be the same. One might handle a torque value that another would crack with.

Attaching a stock is an art more than a science, but not precision. It's OK to use a crayon rather than a pen. So, tighten it until there is no gap where the wood meets the metal. Then give it another 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Two Fingers, Doc!

-Gary

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I've had numerous on and off, swapping things etc; a little flex or almost so seems to do it. They are well made, it's not rocket science. Not if I can do it with no problem. :) Bob

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

With a wrench that long I'd use the instructions you got from Kreighoff. The Browning XT uses the same wrench for the factory adjustable comb stocks and the bolt isn't excessively tight when the wrench shaft starts to twist a bit.

I bought a long 5 mm hex wrench and cut off the short leg with a dremel disc. I put a 5 mm socket on a nut driver and put the 5 mm shaft in the socket. You can't generate much more than about 5 ft/lbs of torque with a screwdriver-type handle and you're not likely to over-tighten that way.

MK

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you're going to include a locking washer in the mix I suggest <UL><LI>type AN aircraft or grade 8 flat washers that don't change shape under pressure<LI>wave or spring washers rather than the el cheapo split washers that are usually softer than the bolts they are supposed to lock.</UL> Waves washers come in both SAE and metric sizes: <center>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    </center>

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.