1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How tight to tighten chokes??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought my wife a new bt99 the other day, I ordered a couple of the gold extended browning chokes to go with it, when I tried to remove the factory choke it would not come out.. I tried as hard as I could and nothing would budge.. finally I took a cresent wrench and put it on the choke tube wrench and broke it free.. I have never tightened a choke anymore than just finger tight but man this one was really torqued in there.. is there any reason to really cinch down on them when tightening? thanks!

2. Smiley

Smiley Member

With any screw in chokes put a little lubricant on them before screwing them in and only do them up as tight as needed so they don't come undone,a little experimentation will get it right.
    Paul

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

grease it and remove it every so often clean and relube it

4. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

A little dab of grease or never-seize on the threads and nothing bigger than a quarter to tighten. Extended chokes just use your hand.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Chokes need to be tight. It is the preload (force along the axis of the barrel between the choke and the barrel) that keeps the choke tight. Barrel vibrations can relieve this preload if it is not adequate. I prefer a choke wrench with a handle like the speed wrenches that Briley sells. That gives you a 2" to 3" lever to apply torque with.

I have seen a barrel with plastic (from the wads) driven the complete length of the choke. The shooter knew something was wrong when he noticed that plastic was protruding from between the choke and the barrel at the muzzle. His choke was tight every time he checked it using his fingers. That experience cost him a barrel.

Jim Skeel

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I tighten my tube with my fingers until it bottoms out. Then I use the wrench to just nudge it a little bit. Even with excessive force, the tube will not turn enough for me to see after I have finger tightened it. I take the tube out once every 2-3 years, lube it and put it back in. I shoot around 50,000 shells between lubing the tube. I don't recall ever checking the tube between lube jobs. It has always required a little push on the wrench to get the tube out.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.