1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW TIGHT DO YOU HOLD YOUR GUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

When you mount your gun how tight do you hold it?

2. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

I hold it VERY tight to my chest and to my
    Cheak

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I took a Kiner clinic a few weeks ago as my shooting has been going backward for a decade and I developed a world class flinch in the process. I tried going to release trigger with no real improvements and was about to hang it up altogether until attending Phil's clinic.

Phil noticed immediately my legs were dead and my arms were pushing the gun eveywhere except to the target and I was flinching like a spring.

One of the main points Phil made in his class room chalk talk was making the gun one with you and how all the top shooters, Harlen, Leo and others rotate like turrets on a tank because they have a strong grasp on the grip and their gun is pulled in tightly not firmly into their shoulder. When I asked Phil how tight, he gave me more than a strong handshake and then we interlocked bent fingers and he pulled my arm towards his with a (very strong pull) I said, that's a death grip, it may be now but it won't be after you grow accoustomed to mounting your gun and making it one with you.

I've shot twice since his clinic and have found already eveything comes together if the gun is pulled in tightly and you have a very firm grasp on the grip, the move to the target is smoother the targets are more centered and as of now, no flinch. Thinking back when I was young and strong I always had a strong grip on my gun and is was cranked into my shoulder. As I grew older loosing strength in the process I became lazy not working at holding onto my gun and everything suffered. Doing it Phil's way at this moment is nothing but work and tiring, I have to make myself grab hold and pull in, but the payoff is more scored targets.

I have Phil to thank for reminding me the etiquette of holding and pointing a shotgun.

Surfer

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm right handed. Righty-tighty, Lefty looser.

5. Mr. Schock

Mr. Schock TS Member

as a general rule you want to hold your gun as tight as you hold your pecker, just tight enough to have control

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shouldn't you take it to dinner first and then give it some tender foreplay and caresses before mounting?

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Brian, the caressing and foreplay aren't required if it is properly lubricated during dinner.

8. KW post 5

KW post 5 TS Member

Very tight,how are you doing havent seen you in awhile ???Kevin

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Firmly to the shoulder, forearm support it gently and the stock tight but gently. Place head on stock do not let it move from there.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I hold it very snug and when I do the targets break harder, in otherwords centering the target.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Between this discussion and the recommendation to use K=Y Jelly instead of gun grease on the Perazzi, I am getting a headache! Regards, Ed

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

Tight,,I like the above post saying like a tank turret.That's how I do it and how I tell anyone that asks,don't use arms,think like a tank turret,move at waist.

Become one with the gun.

Doug H.

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

All jokesters who think they are Bill Cosby except -dead on 4- .....ignore the rest and follow his advice. I will do the same. Martinpicker

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Someone asked Kay Ohey if he thought the guy was holding the forearm too tight. Kay asked him...Is the sap running out of it...Guy says no...Kay says then you are not holding it tight enough.........SMOKIT

15. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Like dead on 4 and Kiner. Lately I'be been doing that and telling myself "Just shoot it!". So far it's worked better for me. Mark

16. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I hold my rifle tightly, but have a tendency to squeeze my gun.

rm

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Martinpicker,,

Seems you either didn't read the post about Kiners input,or just plain ignored what I said.I supported what he said,and each of my points were covered and mentioned by him within the first sentence.I'm not a jokester,and I reply to posts with honest input.Person asked a question,and I answered it honestly.Implying others are jokesters is rather unfair as if your opinion is the only one that matters.Just sayin,if ya don't know the person,it's not nice to bash them.

Doug H.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I remember when there was a thread about flinching. I had stated just that to get rid of the flinch. Before getting into the concentration mode, and routine of the target, focus on grasping the forend tighter. Now get into the pre-shot routine, and concentrate on the target and follow through. I was told I was wrong, and even proved it by saying Phil Kiner said just the opposite. So which one is the real Phil? I also said to turn at the waist, once the gun is mounted that position should not change. Hmmm.

Update: Sorry it was not Phil, it was Kaye and Harlan.

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Works for trap, not so much for other games with lots of bbl. movement. Tight muscles do not respond as well. Why do you think golfers waggle their clubs before swinging?

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

They have to do something, while they are talking to the ball! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hold rifle tight or loose
hot tight gun

how tight do you hold a hangun stock

how tight do you hold a shot gun

how tight hold gun

how tight to grip hand gun