1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How serious are you about your game?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anchorsteam, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I have a buddy that I introduced skeet to about 3 years ago. He even joined our club. He likes to shoot trap now too. He has joined both NSSA and ATA. But year after year, he complains about not shooting up to his potential. He is a 'weekend shooter' only - why: Never talks about the game during the week, owns no books on the sport other than the one I gave him last year and I doubt that he has even opened it; the only video he has is the one that I suggested to his wife to get him for Christmas; and so on. Bottom line is that he seeks no information on the game other than when we are shooting - after that, it's business or some other non-shooting related crap. I can remember when I first started shooting skeet 8 years ago - I simply couldn't get enough of it: practice, research, books, discussions with top shooters, lessons with the pros, videos, reloading, etc. I lucked out with a couple Military All American titles in the end. Now that I have discovered trap, I own a couple videos, several books, wall chart, reload, and tons of other doodads and stuff that helps my game in the end. How involved with YOUR shooting are you? Do you chronically complain about sandbaggers, better shooters, etc. but not put in the time and effort you need to shoot better??? What's the deal here - are you a dedicated shooter or a weekend shooter???

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Your friend is atypical, whether it be any of the shooting sports, golf, tennis, etc., etc...

Those without natural talent that do not put forth a concerted effort will fail, no matter the endeavor.

Those with natural talent that do not put forth the effort required to succeed with only be fair at best.

It requires a combination of natural talent and hard work (practice & competition) to be in the top 10%.

Curt

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have no desire to shoot ATA registered targets. Why? because I know that I will not be able to achieve the amount of targets I need per year. Do I think the ATA is a great organization? Yes, and the competition of it and IF you're dedicated to the amount of time put into it is probably rewarding. I do shoot alot of trap. I enjoy shooting skeet, wobble and sporting also. Alot of targets per year shooting these shooting sports also. If I combined them I'd have well over the amount.

You are more apt to see me shooting trap, skeet or sporting on a 15 deg. Saturday or Sunday (and not complaining about it) than a weekend with temps in the 80's or 90's.

I have a major addiction to Smallmouth Bass. I live and die for it. The only real time I feel some inter peace. Outside of my family and things that come first for them, I'm not commiting any weekend time to shoot trap at a competative level. I shoot all year and when I do I shoot it seriously and want to shoot well. Maybe some day I will shoot ATA or NSSA.

But, let it be known I do not have a problem with registered targets and ones comittment to them. Go for it. Be all you can be. Do your own thing. If you don't have that peace inside you (much like my smallmouths) and don't know if it's right for you, and doubt or worry about the next guy, or sandmen, or this rule or that rule. You're probably in the wrong game. Or lets say a wrong part of the game.

As said I'll tip my hat to any and all serious ATA competative shooters. Good luck and shoot well.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I would not chalk up lack of natural talent to why someone is not more into any particular sport. Trap competition requires a lot of time and money to get to a level of being able to compete. That's why it's an "old man's sport". Not from a derogatory standpoint, but because these people have mostly retired, sent their kids through college, perhaps have the mortgage paid off, and thus have the time and money to put into it. The age demographics of the sport bear this out.

Myself, it's the above reasons. I do not have the time nor money to compete, but even if I did I'd rather shoot sporting clays anyway. And hunting is more my bag that shotgun sports.

So for me, trap is more like a school. It is the fundemental basis for all shotgun sports or hunting. Trap has helped me achieve my goal of being able to hunt with a shotgun. When I started, I could not hit the ocean from a rowboat because of crossfiring. That problem has long been overcome.

Edit: BTW, I have several trap and shotgunning books, and a Terry Jordon wall shooting chart.

5. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

I consider myself a "ADDICT", I started shooting trap alittle over a year ago and have bought everyone's trap video,(Harlan, Phil, Dan C's)wall chart, every book I can find,(Russel's,Lanny's, etc.) I read every thing I can find...I even carry a small wall chart to stare at in the hotel room just to visualize the shooting when I can't...I think about shooting all the time but, work inteferes with it...OH WELL!!! Mortage has to be paid!!!

6. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Clayshooter08 - you are going to be a terrific Trap shooter.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am afraid I am not as serious as I should be. I shoot a lot of registered targets. I spent 60 nights in motels last year while attending shoots. I shot many local one day shoots. I love to shoot ATA targets, but frequently when I get on the line, I lose my focus and am no longer serious about breaking the next target.

Pat Ireland

8. copper

copper Member

I shoot trap I like trap guns and shot guns enjoy the sport but mainly the company of a half dozen good friends to joke and talk with. My first love is bird hunting and bird dogs duck chessies they look like the marsh, and live to hunt and are tough as nails and independent. Vizla,s for up land they love people I have hunted them for 40 years are easy . two totally different dogs for totally different games. If I had more time and money I would shoot trap more when hunting season was closed.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I went to shoot sporting clays with a good friend of mine, we started shooting at the same time, a small one trap club near New Albany ohio in 1967, we started out shooting red birds, shot and wad shoots, then buddy shoots we both started shooting registered targets, we shot a lot of calcuttas, and someone complained to an ATA delegate about his winning, they gave him 2 yards, un-earned yards, his ATA scores were mediocre, he quit shooting and did not re-new ATA Mbrsshp, started bass fishing w/his dad/ his father passed away and we took his mom to Bingo Games in Central College Ohio until she passed away. At the Big Walnut Conservation Club, we got together and shot a round of 50 targets for $11.00 they had food brought in by shooters and a donation to eat some, pop was .50 cents a can, old friends were there that we shot with in the 70s, it was a good get together, talking old times, converastion got around to registered shooting and they all said no-way, I much more enjoy the comrade w/
    old time shooters, and I can take my time between shots as there are usually 6-8 shooters in a group/ and they rotated the lead off position on each presentation of the targets, He and I saw friends we had not seen in 40 years that we shooting sporting clays and conversation, and old times, old friends and deceased friends that we each remembered. The ATA ran off that new shooter because of complaints of his winning some money on calcuttas, that is the first step in killing our sport, he did not even get the chance to earn any yardage, they did this to another friend of mine in the late 60s ATA gave him 3 yards for a 199 on 16s at Middletown and he quit the ATA he quit sent in his ATA card and said for them to shove it where the sun don't shine. We shot the harder 3 hole targets, hand pulled, I am the only one left that still shoots ATA on occasion, mainly because of lack of income as I am retired, but I absolutely enjoy trapshooting and sporting clay shooting, the shooters I am talking about, we are all in our late 60s and early 80s. The ATA has a lot of problems, targets too easy that allowed higher scores, and discouraged the younger shooters because they could not compete, but on the sporting clays couse scores ran from the low 20s to mid 40s. all were happy, unknown angles and pulls were all over the place from slow to really,really slow one trap the puller had to use both hands to release the targets.

I am ranting on and on bet there are still some of us who are still shooting and love trapshooting, maybe no ways near what registered targets we used to shoot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I fall asleep every night visualizing shooting doubles. I pick up my gun and practice mounting it several times a day. I shoot 250 rounds a week for practice. If I could shoot more days other than Sunday I would. I have not changed guns for 5 years. God I can hardly wait for Spring Grand. I guess I'm too an addict to this crazy game.

Jim

11. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

X trapshooting addict - best drill I used to do was shoot 200 practice rounds in the living room 2 days prior to a registered shoot. I shot singles and handicap only - mainly because doubles were shot at the end of the day, and I had a wife and little girl to get home to.

Think about it - your holding your gun, loading it, mounting it, taking the shot, removing the shell. The drill was to do that with a dummy shell, 200 times, practicing my mount and putting the bead on a spot on the wall. Do that 200 times - you will get tired, but you'll be building muscles and perfecting your mount.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sigraph- Would not your practice be both more realistic and more memorable if you used loaded shells?

Pat Ireland

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well when I started dateing the Mrs. she asked me what I liked to do I said "shoot and blow stuff up!" The look on her face for about a split second was of amazement, Then she said"Cool me too!!! I love to shoot trap!" I thought ok she was 1 of those girls who went with dad in the back yard. I could not have been farther off. 1 Sunday morning last February we got up and she said" Lets go to the club" Not knowing which or what she had in mind I said ok. We went to the SugarGrove trap and Vets club, OMG everyone knew her!! And missed her ,she had 11 years off to be a mom.(She was on the NewYork ladies team 1997 name JoAnn Love). It was all it took I had a challenge and well its kida like shooting with lil miss sure shot and I have to work on my HUMBLE pie each week when she beats me. But I do work at my game 2-3 days a week trying to catch her. Now our vacations are planned around the shoots she wants to go to, to try to do it again, could have save alot of heart ache finding this one years ago, but back then she was more 1 of the guys and not a lil lady that caught my eye.

Jerry lewis

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Love it enough to make this forum a part of my life, even when it wasn't always pleasant to do so.

Love it enough to have spent weeks of my free time gathering trophy donations for a local club, only to have a senior member of that club make derogatory phone calls about me to every donor on the list (nationwide).

Love it enough to get to the line on crutches, and pay for it in pain all night, only to do it again the next morning.

Love it enough to proudly come home with perma-marks on my shoulder and callouses on my hands, to give up much of my makeup because it gets on my gun stock, and to deal with "hat head" in the evenings when we go out to dinner after shooting.

Love it enough to have spent $30K per year to do it.

Love it enough to marry someone else that shoots trap, so that I wouldn't have to explain all of the above.

15. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

bow thats a fine lady.

Rick

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hi Devi, I hope all is the best with you and Martin and the dogs/birds. Everyone should have 1/2 half the passion you do for the sport. Thank you for your help to further our interests. Bob

EDIT: You have no idea how fine a Lady. Martin does.

17. LFT687

LFT687 Member

When I first started shooting trap I was afraid of everything. Afraid of missing the target, of disrupting the rhythm of the squad, shooting out of turn, etc.

As I shot more (and won a few trophies and belt buckles)I gained enough confidence that I can stand on the line and give anyone a run for their money.

I shoot 100 targets on Sunday all year long, usually another 100 on Saturday, too. During the summer I get out 3 - 5 times a week (the range is closed Mon. & Tues.).

Most of my ATA targets are shot during Winter League and at local club shoots (around 80 shooters). I've never been to a major shoot, but that's on my list.

Most of my targets have been shot with my best friend and I've made many other friends along the way.

I guess I'm serious enough, since I spend all week waiting to get out to the range again.

Dave

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In America, we watch TV all of our live's. Everything is presented as a issue or problem in the first 15 minutes. The problem is solved in the last 15 minutes, and everyone is happy. Goes to say, most people live their lives that way. ERGO: I should be rich by the time I'm 25. I should get a $100,000 job the day college ends. And of course, I should be on the 27 and AAA in 6 months, shooting 100 rounds a week, with my field grade model 870. Unrealisic you say? Take a look at the kids today, their expections, for doing very little.

19. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I feel I have the talent and ability, and at times I've had the focus, but right now I can't afford to shoot the number of targets I need to develop into an strong AA shooter and 90+ average 27 yard line shooter. So, I don't have much enthusiasm for the game anymore.

~Michael

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The "game" has given me friends all over the country. We spent years touring the U.S. as an avocation and usually, when in a far away location, could phone a trapshooting acquaintance, invite them to dinner and spend a pleasant evening.

My wife never shot but was the daughter of a trapshooter and always enjoyed the company of wives of my trapshooting friends. Good memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.