1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Sara Palin's email got hacked: protect yours

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I just received an email from Trend Micro. I can confirm that this has happened to a friend of mine as well...a fellow trapshooter. Please read this and take precautions:

A hacker used one of the oldest tricks in the book to breach Sarah Palin's personal Yahoo account - taking advantage of the password reset feature. If it could happen to a vice presidential candidate, could it happen to you? Absolutely.

The password reset allows you to change your password if you’ve lost or forgotten it by first answering a question that only you are supposed to know the answer to. But if you pick an identifying question that other people might be able to answer, your password is vulnerable to a reset. The person who requested the reset then has full access to your account – and that’s what happened to Sarah Palin. According to news reports, a hacker correctly selected “Where did you meet your future spouse?” from Yahoo’s list of identifying questions, and then tested a few permutations of “Wasilla High School” before arriving at “Wasilla high.”

You basically have two options to protect yourself from intruders resetting your password. Option one is to select a question with an answer that hackers won’t be able to figure out by researching you online, and making sure you don’t have too much information about yourself on publicly available sources. It doesn’t take too much effort these days for people to locate common identifying data like ZIP code, high school, or your mother’s maiden name.

Your second option is to simply give the wrong answer to the identifying question you select. Just be the question is, “What was your high school mascot?” doesn’t mean the answer can’t be “X40g79.”

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the info.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used my first car's color. NO one knows that, It was a certain type of pink which will go unmentioned here, LOL.

HM

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Good advice Devi. Another thing that makes your password harder to hack is words in a different language or misspelling the word from another language. I pretend I really know how to spell but just do it for security sake. On phishing emails asking for your account information, I always use ESAD and a password of OU812! Hope you all all thawed out and have electricity. Omaha

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

No matter what you do with your passwords etc all a good hacker needs is any access to the network. After that all information for anyone on the network is availabe to them. Not that I would do something like that.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Oletmeyer, not necessarily so. I have a trick of my own, that I've never told anyone, to keep my passwords safe. If I told someone and it got around, some hacker would figure out a way to beat it.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Good advice for anyone running for public office - - Gawd forbid!

8. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Half Mile,
    The name of the pink color was...Canyon Coral (if it was a GM product). Using the Dupont color Code would be better. " Sierra Gold Mettalic was 2287LH" I have no idea what the number was for your "Pink". .......It's starting to look like a long winter....... I am going to the basement to load a few flash targets for our XMAS celebration @ Walworth Sporstmen tomorrow. I do thank Recurvyarcher for the password tip. Will try it shortly for all my stuff!
    Respectfully,
    Jet Boat Bill
    Shooting a TM1 Special since 1989 too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.