1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How rigorously is SAFETY enforced?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ffwildcat, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I know this subject comnes up frequently and the general consensus is there should be zero tolerance for safety issues on the line.

I agree.

But practically speaking how many clubs have a range office (or club members acting in that capacity) that enforce the safety rules?

I was at a club over the weekend (not my regular club) and two fields over I saw a couple of guys shooting a camo semi auto and they were obviously not regular trap shooters. So they proceed to load multiple shells and fire once then walk to the next post with a loaded gun. They also walked from post 5 to post 1 with a loaded gun and then they went one better. The shooter walks back to the scorers chair where his buddy was, hands him the gun and he loads up the magazine and walks up to the line with a loaded gun.

I went into the club manager and reported the safety issue but by the time he came out to the field they had left the grounds.

I am sure they will be back and repeat the behavior.

Was I right to report it to the club manager to address or should I have approached them myself and pointed out the safety rules on the back of the scorers chair?

There are pros and cons to both.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In answer to your question the answer is YES! My question is where was the puller/scorer when this was happening?

Eric

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Most clubs I have visited seldome have any sort of personel on the shotgun range(s). If I see someone mishandle a firearm, I will generally go over and politely educate the person on range etiquette. Most just simply don't know and seem to take no offence to what I have to say. I'll generally invite them to shoot with me if neither one of us have a full squad. This way they can see how it's done without much being said.

You are always going to have the "special" people. Rules don't pertain to them and how dare you correct all their years of improper gun handling. I let the club personel handle those.

ss

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You would have been correct to simply go to the person and politely explain the safety rules. If they took offense and did not change behavier, ask them to leave

5. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

At my club it is each members duty and responsibility to curtail any safety violation. Anyone can call a cease fire.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We see this kind of thing regularly and it is no big deal to walk up the person and explain our rules and how they should load and shoot their shotgun. This doesn't have to be a bad experience for either side. Part of the explaination needs to include the reason that the rule is important. It also helps if you can set the new guy up with a shell pouch or vest - make the experience easy for them.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Most people I have dealt with were actually grateful for learning the etiqitte without being loudly called out and embarassed. Those who refuse to accept the common safety rules shared by all at target ranges need to be invited to shoot elsewhere. They are a detriment to everyone. The worst offenders I see are old guys who weren't raised in a culture where gun safety and responsible firearms handling practices were promoted.

8. superump

superump TS Member

You were 1000 % correct in reporting a violation like this. Its not only for their saftey but for yours and everyone around them. At our club any member has the authority to point out to someone what they are doing wrong or why its a violation. the "old heads" are always watching for this stuff but more than willing to work with the violators and explain to them why its a safety issue. Do it in a kind and polite way and they will usually understand, but we then keep an eye on them untill we are comfortable that they have learned or got it. most people in violation are not doing anything deliberate it's just that they didnt know the safety rules, or why its so serious to them and all the people around for their safety. GOOD JOB!!!!!!

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I do it myself, politely, of course.

I ask the offenders to stop, please keep the gun pointed downrange, and unload.

Then I proceed to tell them, its club rules, to protect you and others who shoot here. And if they are new to the club, I remind them they should have read the rules on the piece of paper they signed at the clubhouse when they bought their rounds.

I tell them our club has a spotless safety record, and we'd like to keep it that way, because if we don't, we'll be shut down.

Most often, they say, OK, sorry, didn't know, thanks for setting me straight.

If they get uppity, I tell them, politely, we can go speak to the manager who will tell you exactly the same thing.

I do the same thing when I see folks shooting without safety glasses or ear plugs.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At my club there is a sign that says: "No shotguns with a barrel less than 26" and no shot guns without a shoulder stock".

Eric

11. wolfba

wolfba Member

I see this often at one of the places that I frequent. It's a public range and all the "good" shooters segregate themselves leaving first time shooters to learn from other inexperienced teachers.

I shoot for fun and don't mind sharing some gun safety but must admit that I've actually left if there's an entire group. It's usually pretty clear who's who when they are all using rented guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.