1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How reliable is rem 3200?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jornski, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

any known problems? looking at 1 for my 13 year old daughter

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get a more modern gun-- there are problems with them- their owners live with them

good idea- poor material selection

BT99 maybe with a 32 inch barrel

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

A 3200 is pretty heavy for a young girl. Ron

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My 3200 has been reliable, but if it were to break, the parts and repair options are limited and EXPENSIVE. The updates alone would almost cover the cost of a new 1100. I'd second the vote on an 1100. You can modify the stock or purchase a second one to modify and replace it when she grows into it. It is a much less expensive option and probably much easier for her to handle, weight and recoil wise. The 1100 is not expensive to repair or maintain either. The 3200 is a heavy gun and can really beat up the shooter if it isn't fitted properly. My 3200 put some nasty bruises on a female shooter's cheek in about ten shots. The stock is almost unaltered (trap Monte Carlo) and does not fit a small framed shooter well.

6. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I've had several 3200s over the years and never had a problem with one of them, had a competition trap rechambered to 3" and briley chokes, hunted with it for alot of years and put alot of 3" mag shells through it and it never missed a beat. parts are not hard to come by, patrick laib has bought all of remingtons parts and does repairs at a reasonable cost. If it was such a terrible gun, kreighoff wouldnt have bought the production rights to it for theyre own guns, I've seen more problems with kreighoffs than 3200s. yes they are heavy. just my opinion.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Let her shoot it before you buy it. If she breaks targets with it, and if the recoil doesn't hurt her then buy it. A Remington 1100 is also a good choice. There are a lot of used guns out there for sale. Let her shot them and find the one that works best for her. HMB

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I would get a BT-99

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A beretta 303 is a light soft shooting gun, This would be a good one to start her on.

Dr.longshot

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kelly- Krieghoff purchased the production rights to the 3200? what is your source for that? Do you possibly have this confused with the model 32 Remington?

"put a lot of rounds throught it" means many things to many shooters- some shooters consider a 1000 shells a lot of rounds--- some shooters put 50,000 rounds a YEAR through Krieghoffs and Perrazis

To deny the 3200 has problems is to deny reality-- when they were still being made I would see the people line up outside the remington trailer at their shooting facility on Long Island sound to have them repaired- Remington lost their rear on the gun

Yes I have shot 3200s-- shot one exclusively for international skeet for 2 years and it does have some good points--

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My first "real" trap gun was a 3200 Competition I bought shortly after they came out in the mid-70s. It pounded the living snot out of my jaw even after the stock was shortened and the pitch changed to fit me better and the comb was made adjustable. My nephew always liked it, so I sold it to him and he never complained of any discomfort when shooting it. They're very tank-like but can be hard-kickers for some people.

And yes, Krieghoff bought the tooling and production rights for Remington's Model 32, not 3200. The 3200 was released after Remington saw Krieghoff being successful with "their" Model 32.

Ed

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had an early 3200 Trap. It was a heavy gun but I don't remember the recoil being too bad but that was in comparison to my previous O/U a Winchester 101. I parted with the 3200 when our local gunsmith who could actually make parts retired.

13. larryjk

larryjk Member

My 3200 has not missed a lick yet. Maybe it will start, but in the meantime, I really like it for doubles. I have heard so many bad things I keep on shooting it for spite.

14. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

I don't know how good a long, 9+lb over-under is for a 13 y-o girl, but if thats what you're after...

If you have it fit and the gun has the updates done its very reliable and a pleasure to shoot, and will give years of reliable service.

If the gun has the fore-end and receiver face strengthened, I don't know what these other mysterious problems are. I have two - one updated, and one not.

You could spend under $2k and get a 3200, and have a gun that will be reliable but may or may not occasionally have a hiccup.

Or.

You could spend $5-15k, get a Kreighoff or Perazzi, and have a gun that will be reliable but may or may not occasionally have a hiccup.

Personally, and I've already made this choice, I'd go with the poor man's K80 (aka 3200). It won't break the bank to buy, and if you decide to move on to another gun, the resale value is there, unlike a new high-end gun that drops in value the first time you pull the trigger.

The impression given seems to be that the 3200 is some junker that throws parts out of it as it shoots or breaks each time you pull the trigger, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I've seen K80's stick-shut, and MX8's snap firing pins in the middle of the round, but they don't get nearly the bad wrap as 3200's...and its not for any good reason..

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The 3200 may have a few issues but there are still a lot of them out there on the trap fields. I personally have been shooting them for about 15 years and other than having a couple of preventive updates done have had exactly two breakdowns, a broken spring and broken firing pin. No annual service necessary either. I have spent a lot less on the 3200 than my shooting friends have on their Perazzis and K guns during the same time. Parts have not been a problem. Check Egun parts and Laibs. If the gun fits your daughter and it is in good shape with updates I wouldn't worry too much about reliability.

16. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

browning citori might be something to think about dwain

17. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Stay away from the break-opens until she has become accustomed in the shooting discipline. Any Remington or Beretta 12 ga. auto will do the trick, both make light soft shooting autos that a youth can handle & while your at it, download those reloads to just above subsonic for the first 6 mo to a year, this will reduce the noise and recoil until she is accustomed to the shooting discipline. When she gets to be 15 and is still interested in shooting, then explore the break-opens.

But if you invest in a break-open up front, make sure it's one that you want to shoot for yourself, good chance that she may lay it down and never want to pick it up again if this shooting is not her bag.

18. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I encourage everyone to continue to bash 3200's. Convince all users to stop use of the 3200 and send them to me. Thanks.

My only advice is to use 7/8 oz loads with them.
    This takes out the kick, obviously, and is the only reason my wife continues to shoot.

I messed up and let her shoot 1 1/8 oz, she said she wanted to continue shooting but it was tearing her arm off.
    I started shooting and reloading 7/8 oz, convinced her to give them a try and now she is addicted to shooting with no complaints of hurting arm...etc.

Beware that some over and under guns do not like 7/8 oz!! With the 3200's it is not a problem because they have mechanical triggers.
    Also some autoloaders do not like 7/8 oz.

19. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Jon,

Make sure your daughter gets to shoot the gun BEFORE you put down your money. You know my son (Tristan) and he had one for a while and it beat the tar out of him and he's no lightweight. He loved shooting the gun (despite recoil issues) and it was very reliable and he shot some excellent scores with it but in the end the weight and stock dimensions became an issue and we moved it.

My $.02

If you do decide to go with the 3200 then Ken Genecco (master gunsmith) can take care of any issues you have with the gun and parts/service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 3200 reliability