1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How or why did you get started ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

My son ( an ordained minister ) authors a blog whereupon he occasionally delves into the matter of the soul or just life in general. He calls it "Subtle Musing." His last treatise was a description of his 4 year old son ( my grandson ) who has recently begun to turn any toy into a "gun" and has begun to ask questions like "What are guns for ?" My son never expressed an interest in any of the shooting sports, either hunting, target plinking, competitive shooting. My grandfather hunted for food and recreation. My father was a competitive trap shooter and I would tag along to trap and skeet shoots when I was still in "short pants" so to speak.

Fewer of those younger than I are now exposed to firearms of any kind in today's society. Guns are maligned by the media and public. Where will the "next generation" of trapshooters, Olympic pistol shooters, gun collectors and hunters come from ? How did you get your start ? Father, relative, friend ? Who are you mentoring ?

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Jim Brown (fellow on the left) worked for Phipps Hardware in downtown Greensboro NC. He sold guns, ammo, fishing supplies, boats - a little bit of everything.

Luckily we had a gun club on the edge of Greensboro named the Piedmont Gun Club. It was a Winchester Gun Club and offered Trap & Skeet.

I shot my 1st State Shoot at the Piedmont Gun Club in 1964 and and have been hooked ever since. When kids in the neighborhood were wanting bikes and skates I was asking grandpa for lead, primers wads and Winchester papers.

I just got back from the Southern Grand and was accompanied by JC Nunn who at 87 broke 91 - 90 in caps and 92 - 93 in the singles. I have known JC for 47 years and my grandfather got him into shooting in 1963.

Grandpa was inducted into the NC Trapshooting Hall Of Fame in 1991. He had always wanted me to attend the Grand American with him and at the time I was more interested in face powder than gunpowder.

Sad to say, Jim Brown died before I returned to competitive trapshooting. It really took a toll on him when I got out of the sport. We did however travel with him to the Pinehurst GC when he squad hustled and I scored when you had to push the button.

Today I don't really mentor anybody but I do maintain a website for trapshooting in North Carolina. My grandad promoted the sport the old fashioned way and I guess I try to promote it a little different.

Trapshooting is still fun, expensive but it creates long lasting and precious memories.

FRedmon

Picture was taken at the Pinehurst Gun Club around 1965 +/-......

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Let's see...I'd have to give first credit to my step dad, who was a skeet shooter, hunter, and archer. I was the only kid who took any real interest in really learning, and it was the recurve bow that was my instrument of choice. He taught me, then he taught me to shoot a side by side 20 guage Winchester, which he actually bought for me, but I barely shot it more than a few times, and not at targets...just at trees in the distance. He also showed me how to use a pistol, and I liked that even less. But I did really like the rifle...I shot his .22 a lot at any non-living thing that I could away with.

Because I shot the rifle and bow well, I figured that I ought to be able to shoot anything. So later in life, after my kids were older and I was out of college and had a little spending money, I started thinking about shooting again. I had a lot of people around the DC area with whom I worked that would invite me out to the range, but the timing was never just right. I was busy with work.

Then one St. Patrick's day, I was coming home from the base and I stopped in at my favorite club to listen to the jazz band, and met a trapshooter. It just happened to be the right timing, and he was coaching people, so when I mentioned that I wanted to start shooting skeet, his words where "Why not trap?" I didn't even know there WAS trapshooting. He invited me out to see the difference, and one of the guys at the club bought me a box of shells and told me that the next time that I showed up, I was going to shoot those, and not to give that box to anybody else.

I came the next week, rented a Beretta semi-auto, and shot after receiving a little instruction from the coach. I think he set it on straight aways, but I shot 23 out of 25 my first time out, and I was hooked.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

My parents didn't own any firearms when I was growing up but I bought my first 22lr at the age of 12 or 13 after long and hard negotiations on my behalf. Ever since then I've been obsessed with guns and I'm finally getting into NFA weapons now at 25.

As for how I got into trap though, we had the garage door open and my Dad was outside. The neighbor was getting his mail from his mailbox and apparently noticed the reloading press on my gun bench and some how a conversation followed between him and my Dad about shooting, etc. I ended up coming outside and met the neighbor for the first time in the 4 years we had lived there and he mentioned that he had a Citori Plus for sale and that I should come shoot some trap/skeet with him sometime. A week later I made the trip to a local gun club and shot a few rounds of trap and instantly I was hooked. I ended up selling off a few guns I didn't shoot that often to purchase the Citori Plus (which I got for a killer price!). Four weeks later I shot my first 25 straight and then the addiction was permanent.

If it wasn't for running into the neighbor, who I now consider a true friend, I never would had experienced trap and learned so much, so quickly. Now it's a year and a half later and I would be happy just shooting trap for the rest of my life. Unfortunately I still have to work until I perfect a system of making money without having to work.

As for who I'm mentoring, that would be my Dad! My addiction with the sport has now rubbed off on him. The upside to this is that it saves me a lot of cash when I don't have to pay for gas, food, and hotels when we go to shoots. :)

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Working at the local gun club. Uncle Frank loaning me his Model 12. Turkey shoots.

6. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Started shooting after reading about it in a magazine when I was 10 or 11. I got into smallbore rifle shooting big time and poured all my time and energy into it for few short years. California State Champion as a sub-junior, but we moved and I lost a really good range and mentors, so I gave it up. Still have the Anshutz target rifle and Redfield 20x scope.

Borrowed a friend's shotgun one time and tried trap. Did well at it at first, so I bought an Ithaca model 600 field gun, not knowing any better. I did progressively worse than my first outing, then sold the gun shortly before going to college. 40 years later, I purchased a Citori XT and got back into it. Now, my son and I are hooked. I sorely regret not having 40 more years of experience...If I had only encountered a mentor, SCTP coach, you name it, things might have been different. To me, that really shows the value of a good mentor.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

We didn't have any guns in my house growing up. It wasn't until a friend asked me to go plinking with him one Saturday that I shot regularly. Then a few years later, a co-worker introduced me to Trap. It was fun, and I was hooked.

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I started shooting Trap at my father in laws house down in Rhode Island.My father in law and I were hunters also but my father in law had a friend that was a Trap Shooter.My inlaws built a Trap field (one house)in the field out in the woods on their property.

My mother in law use to set targets on an old Remington manual trap.I remember it use to cost us about $1.00 a round for targets at that time per 25.That was 46 years ago and we are still hooked on it today.At the present time I have my wife Paula ,my daughter Jennifer and her husband Erik that shoot as a squad with me at registered events.

Pretty lucky to have inlaws and a family like that!!!!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse

9. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

As a kid growing up in western Kansas my Grandfather took me pheasant hunting a number of times. I also shot some competitive air rifle, and 22 in scouts but really didn't shoot much of anything after college.

My older sons had already moved out and my youngest (10 years younger than his next brother) was just starting junior high when we moved to Branson. Just before we moved his uncle, a conservation officer in Kansas, took him through a Hunters Education course (planning on taking him hunting).

He came home from his new school that first week all excited, told me he wanted to try out for the "Trap Team". I think I told him something like "you aren't fast enough" to which he explained that it was the shotgun kind!

Well, here we are 5 years later and I am up to my neck in recruiting, coaching, transporting, fund raising and flat out loving this sport. When he joined the "Team" there were about 15 kids participating. Now we have up to 70 kids involved and it runs from late October through late September.

We have many, many kids (and parents) that have had limited to no exposure to firearms of any kind before they get involved and I think I get almost as much satisfaction out of that as watching the smiles on the faces as they learn to bust some clays!

Just call me Trapdady!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was pretty much on my own for guns. My dad used to be an avid hunter, but he said hunting men in the Korean War soured him on it.

When I was 10 he retrieved a couple of his guns he had as a kid from my grandfather. A Rem Model 12 pump .22 and a Stevens bolt action .410. They later gave me a .38 revolver and a 10-22. As for centerfire rifles, I earned the money for them myself. My favorite was a Marlin 30-30.

Anyway, I had very little adult guidance. I wish someone had worked with me for marksmanship, and in particular shotgunning. Even so, I did hunt deer and especially went varminting. But for birds I could not hit anything in the air. The one thing they did do was send me to hunters safety classes the moment I expressed a desire to shoot guns.

Years went by and I delved into guns and shooting. Tried just about every aspect of the sport.

But it always bothered me that I was lousy at shotgunning (well, for aerial targets, I used shotguns quite well like a rifle for tactical). Decided to get into trap shooting to learn how, with the idea that this was good training for hunting. Found I liked trap and sporting clays.

My lack of parental support is why I have worked with my son to make sure he had good training. He's a crack shot with a rifle. His shotgunning leaves a bit to be desired. My daughter took hunters ed, and started shooting small bore and trap, but lost interest in it. I think she felt out of place without other girls around. She now wants to try varmint hunting with my son and I.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I had to pick a place to hide from my parole officer so I picked a shooting range as an ideal place not to be looked for. Oh, wait, this is still March and not 4/1/2011. Sorry...

Actually, I always had a "projectile launcher" of some sort living in an area in Los Angeles that was, during my younger years, a bit pastarol with open lands etc. And I always had a bb gun, slingshot,blowgun, etc. Also the Los Angeles police academy, in those days. would let us shoot our own firearms at a buck rental for a target frame...they encouraged that and my Mom would drop us off at the academy, about a mile away. And my parents had a desert get away/homestead place and encouraged my walking long distances plinking and exploring with one of the very early 10/22's. They were not into guns, but my father, as an engineer, loved and appreciated machines of all kinds.

Later in life, I was invited to go shooting again with a neighbor. I then went to a Pachmayr's gunstore and saw an ad for trap and skeet at their range. I checked it out, it looked interesting, and it's kept my on again and off again attention depending upon other life responsibilities. I came home from the range and one of my old aunts, now deceased, was surprised that I'd never target shot with a shotgun before...she had, in her youth, with a Model 31 Remington as she recalled...her then boyfriend shot trap. I love to have time off in life now and then to shoot!

I guess this is a typical kind of story; typical, by happenstance for too many in urban areas. I'll exit this soapbox now...

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In the mid 80s my wife fell ill and i became a caretaker. It dragged on me and I looked for a diversion. I had hunted a good portion of my life and still did as I cold find time. Adn I toyed around with shooting a few rounds of trap at a local club. That was 86. In 87 I heard about a local club just 8 miles fro my house and went there to check it out. It was the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva WI and run by the several time state champion Jack Gracey. Gracey had retired from competitive trap, but was doing group and individual shooting instructions. He inspired me and within a short time that spring and in my travels I found a 1100TT at a prominent WI gun store, Midwestern Shooters Supply. Adn I took a lesson. By June I decided to find out what ATA was all about and went shooting. In that year and the next, I went thru 5 guns for singles and handicap and one for doubles. The five were, the 1100TT, a Y model Mod 12, a BT99, A KS5, and a TM1. My best scores and 6 yards over that 2 years came with the BT and the TM1.

But I had found a new calling as well. The interest in buying an selling guns from one venue to the next. I did the same thing then I do now but then by using the telephone to contact about 50-100 dealers every two months to keep up with inventory changes and to find items that might sell elsewhere for higher money.

So, that is how I got started shooting ATA and purveying trap guns.

Jack. 87-01936

13. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

My great Grandfather hunted as a gather, survival. My Grandfather was military and hunted for recreation. My father was military and hunted for recreation. I'm prior military, current police officer, swat, weapons instructor and hunt with a passion. I have a Govenor's top 20 pin awarded to the top 20 shooters in the State of Arkansas. Ive competed in Archery and pistol for several years and shot trap for years recreational only. I've been awarded 3rd place in State in the expert class through the NRA. I was top gun 4 quarter in a row at my police dept. Enough about me, but to define my kids interest, you need to understand their exposure to the world of guns.

My kids have grown up with guns in the house and have witnessed guns being apart of my day to day life style, be that work or pleasure. My kids have been been wearing cap guns on their hip since they could walk. They practice fast draw and understood point shooting as a toddler. My kids been shooting BB guns since their early grade school years. Never has shooting or handling guns been forced upon my kids it was always a desire as natural as breathing. They actually know no other life style. My kids hunt, shoot hand guns, long guns (rifle/shotguns) assault weapons, archery and muzzle loaders. Trap was introduced to my kids by way of the Arkansas game & fish through
    a program "Arkansas Youth Shooting Sports Program" (AYSSP) Arkansas has the largest per capita youth shooting program in the country only Texas has more youth shooting, but has a much greater population of residence than Arkansas.

Between my kids and I, its safe to say we have shot over 100,000 rounds over the years and handled guns thousands of hours. my kids have a passion to learn the sport of Trap. It's our goal to shoot ATA this season if money will afford the opportunity.

I'm not an master or consider myself a know it all. I'm a simple man with a passion for a trigger and my kids are equally ate up with it.

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Simple story.... drove by a sign that said "Santa Maria Gun Club". Wonder what goes on in there? Fast forward....25 years ....still shooting trap every chance I get.

15. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Dated Bill Lawless's daughter, He asked me to shoot when I was 16, he loaned me a gun and I hit 24 of 25 the first time ever and was hooked!!!!!!! Loved that guy. I heard he was not shooting any more.

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

At age six I expressed a desire to go squirrel hunting with my grandfather. I went and loved it and next week he gave me a model 1915 Stevens Favorite to take with me, no bullet though. It was very heavy as it had what is called today a bull barrel. I carried that gun everytime we went and it was two years before I was given ammo to hunt with. I did get to shoot it target practicing a few time but with the cost of ammo he thought I just need to shoot my BB gun. I still have that rifle. A couple of uncles were avid bird hunters and had some really good dogs.(I was present when my Uncle Sambo sold one for %500.00 in 1963 and that was not his best dog) I went everytime they would let me and was the dog handler most of the time. It just went on from there. Shooting skeet in England in 1969 then Ft Worth in 71. Hunted some over the years but started back to skeet and trap in 2003. I taught all my kids to hunt and shoot but only my daughter and middle son still like it and are active. Jackie B.

17. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I invited myself to my brother's Duck Club in order to try to repair our relationship after 30 years of inattention. He agreed, to my surprise. I purchased a Remington 870, put a Kick-Eez butt pad on it, and went to the only local trap facility I was aware of at the time. I wanted to learn about safety, etiquette, and I was also curious to see if I could hit anything. Turns out I could, and I was encouraged to get into competitive trap shooting.

I shot several wonderful duck seasons with my brother. The camaraderie and being outdoors in horrendous weather together was wonderful. My brother - ever the perfectionist - is quite an excellent caller. I mean outstanding. He can call in a single duck from a half-mile away. I once blew a Teal into three separate pieces, so we're saying bringing them in CLOSE.

I lost my taste for harvesting wild game. I understand the importance of doing it, I just believe others would enjoy it more. That was eleven years ago.

We stopped shooting together over ducks, but I kept on shooting trap and competing. It really got into my blood and still is in a big way.

I had no background in the outdoors whatever as a child, my father being pretty much a hopeless city boy from Chicago. My brother and I developed interest and expertise in outdoor activities somewhat in parallel, but completely separately over the years.

Doc

18. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Sorry - forgot the last part. I do help with my High School Trap Team. I am not the Coach of record (don't want to deal with the parents or the administrivia) but work with about 35 kids on practice. I will be retiring from teaching in mid-June, but I intend to continue working closely with the next generation.

Doc

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have been hunting and plinking since i was young. A friend invited me to shoot some clay targets at their club for fun. Next thing you know i was shooting my first registered birds at the State shoot. Then the Grand moved to my home town and sealed the deal. I have talked with several doctors about it and they have all said it is terminal. This means i'll likely be shooting 'til i die. LOL

20. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Thank folks,keep these posts coming,a real pleasure to read !!!!!!!!!!!'

Sandy Holehouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.