1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

How old were you when you first went pheasant hunting? I am taking my son out for the fist time tomorrow and he is 8 years old..Any suggestions for a first timer taking their son would be greatly appreciated! BTW....I am going to let him carry a break open H&R .410 Hammer gun with the breech open at the "Chicken Farm I'm a member at....

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I was 14.. and had my Remington 870 20 gauge pump...2 3/4" #6's..1 1/8oz.. kicked the snot out of me..BUT.. I got a bird...

3. stkelly62

stkelly62 TS Member

Personally i think 8 is to young for a quick decision type of shooting like Pheasants, i started my son at 9 on Turkey's and then on Duck's till he could move the gun comfortably and be in control. Having to react to a spring bird at his feet could be trouble. But it's your decision,You're his parent and know his ability's better than us. Good luck and i hope he enjoys the experience, i know my son does.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was 22 and living in England. I used my first o/u a skb/bsa can't remember if it was a model 300 or 500. We didn't have phesants down in South Georgia but I had shot a pile of doves and quail. Jackie B.

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

My oldest brother, Dan, passed two weeks ago and my other brother did his eulogy about this exactly. We "went" pheasant hunting at 7 or 8 years old; we walked the plots and kicked up birds, were also "allowed" to carry the birds. In NY you can't carry a gun until age 14. What a big deal it was too - a right of passage, no it was THE right of passage. Dan was the oldest, he carried a 20GA auto Rem (that was my mom's). Still have it.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

12, I had lost my father so I went with my cousin who was 14.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I went when I was 18. One thing I will suggest is DO NOT TIRE THE KID OUT. You do not want the kid to get so tired that they will not want to go out again. I suggest a 1/4 day or 1/2 day and leave the field while they are still hungry or willing to stay out. That way they will be willing to go again. I have seen fathers keep the kid out to long and the kid just didn't wan to go out again.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

But I was also hunting with my son, who was 12.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I was five and was the "brush and flush dog" with a BB gun.

At seven I had a 410 I had to carry open with a shell in my front pocket.

After a while I got so fast at loading and shooting before the older guys could, my dad bought me a 20 gauge wingmaster and a bird dog.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was 13 with my dad and my beagle and shooting my dads 1100LW 20ga with 26" barrel and mod choke shooting high brass federal paper #6's..we wacked some bunnies and a squirrel or 2 too

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I know it will be a day he will never forget...I know I can remember my first day...I was eleven and I walked around all day with a JC Higgins bolt action .410 that I still have to this day, with my Dad, Grandfather and Uncle and never even fired a shot. It was one of the best days of my life! I did have a chance to shoot at a covey of quail but my safety was on and never got a shot off....I felt such responsibility was bestowed on me at such an early age...Being able to prove I could handle a firearm safely and walk all day with the best men I will ever know had such a positive influence on me at such a young age.

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I never hunted pheasant. They aren't too prevalent in southern Indiana and my time was spent busting bunnies and bobwhites when I was a kid. I got my first shotgun and a beagle pup when I was nine years old.

13. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I was 10 the first time I carried a gun in the field, but I had 'bird dogged' for my Dad and his friends for two years. I knew the field, and I knew the shotgun from the hours on the Trap range at my Dad's conservation clubs.

I trained my son's the same way, but I accelerated my grandson's experiences because they both have been shooting Trap and Sporting Clays since they were 8 years old. They all took the NRA Safe Hunter course before their hunts.

We just completed a big time (60 birds) Pheasant and Chucker hunt with my grandson's, and I got the best complements a grandfather can hear from our guide,"your boys are the safest and most considerate young hunters I've ever had the privilege to hunt with."

Training & understanding is the key, not the age.

IMHO,
    Kip

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I believe that I was twelve, but I had spent my time here in Michigan walking with my dad and uncle before that. At least two years of it. I remember when there was really a lot of birds here in mid lower peninsula. Flocks of them roosting in the trees! But that was in the early sixties just before I was old enough to carry a gun.Now I'm a 56 year old mail carrier in the same area and I rarely see a bird. Me and my yellow lab chase them in Iowa now. I would have to agree with some of the guys that 8 might be a little young to carry a gun, but of course it's your call. Have a great time. Bill in MI

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

First time carrying a shotgun hunting was when I was 11 with my Dad and uncles and some of their friends on opening day of 1961 upland game "quail" season in south central Illinois. I got awfully tired that day but never missed a step with my Dad and got 3 birds that day. Seemed like the coveys would break out of the brush when I was crossing a fense or ducking under some briars. I carried the 870 wingmaster 16 guage my Dad had bought for me. Sure was a big deal to hunt with all those guys and listen to their banter all day. I still remember it like it only happened last year. I would give all I have to go back and do that one more time. My advice is to take some pictures of the group. Those pictures will mean a lot to your son one day. Dan

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've never been. We don't have any of those long tailed birds down here. Heck, we don't have any birds to shoot at exept a few doves!!! Oh, Yeh and those orange things as well. LOL. When I was in my lower teens I used to spend some time in the summer up at my Uncles farm in Wisconsin and shoot the garbage birds for them. That was alot of fun. I saw some of those long tailed birds, but she had little-ins with her and was told not to shoot-em. I did chase-em around abit for fun, just to see how fast the babyies were. They all were faster than I. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

17. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

yes it is your choice- but i wud let him tag along and build the desire!! carrying an empty gun does 2 things-- let's everyone see how safety is handled and developes a thirst for more. i agree with the earlier post , its a lil early for a new young shooter making quick decisions-- even if the shot is "setup" ! i was 12 but followed dad for several years prior- just being there-walking - picking up hulls- carrying the birds and real bullets(like we really needed me to do that) !!!!

18. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Most states have youth only pheasant seasons and every other season. Take your kid. I started taking mine on youth pheasant hunts at 10 yr. old. Walk behind your kid and help them. Try to hunt homesteads, little draws, water ways,... Suggest things, tell them where they can and can't shoot all along the walk, ask them questions to see if they are getting it, gun carry, ask them about 20 times if their gun is on safety, get out of the field remind them the first thing they do is unload,.... For every kid in the field on a youth hunt, we have an adult right behind them if they are green. About 4 kids is enough. Nervous factor gets a little high with more than that. When they get older they can hunt the huge fields with lots of guys and dogs. Line up and walk together. My youngest just turned 12, has been pheasant hunting for 3 seasons and does not hunt with the group yet. My oldest is 15 and as safe as any adult and hunts with the herd of guys. Youngest will next year, but I will walk alongside him in the fields. If you're worried about them bird hunting, start them squirrel hunting. I started my boys squirreling at 6 yrs. Quail at 7 yrs. and trapshooting. If they like it, do it.

Rod

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I was 8 when I started hunting with a .22 and that was limited to sitting rabbits and treed squirrels. I didn't move into shotguns until I was 9 1/2. I didn't have the skill necessary to hit flying birds so I was limited to sneaking up on sharptails and blasting them out of trees. I was a teenager before I actually shot a rooster out of the air.

Taking an 8 year old hunting is a great thing to do but I wouldn't put them in the position of carrying a loaded gun. A little shooting practice at the end of the hunt with alot of supervision will make you both smile ear to ear. Reconsider the .410 H&R though, terrible beginner's gun. A lower end 28 gauge O/U like the new turkish made Stevens is a much better choice.

20. BPSR

BPSR Member

God what I'd give to go back to one of the opening days of pheasant season in the 70's. I grew up near Nichols Iowa, years ago it was what seemed to be the pheasant capital of at least, eastern Iowa. My uncles would come to stay the night before opening day at our house when I was a kid. When I reached the ripe old age of 7 or so, I got to be the "dog", I absolutely loved every minute of it, wouldn't trade those memories for anything. The uncles are still around, but health, and really no land left to hunt, has all but ended their hunting days. Can't tell you how much I despise the "leased no hunting" signs I see these days. Back in those days there was hardly ever a farmer who wouldn't let you hunt his land. I really don't remember the first time I got to carry a gun, but I'd guess I was eleven or twelve.

AS someopne else said, don't push too hard on the young boy. My boy was 10 when I first took him out, he was exhausted in the first hour and a half or so. Short legs, and tall thick cover wiped him out pretty quick. To this day I can't get him to really want to go again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.