1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How old was your dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luckyman, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I was wondering how long did you hunt with your dog? I was out hunting yesterday with my almost 13 year old Weimaraner " Lucky " and she still continues to amaze me!! We did some clean up hunting out at "Silver Springs" State Park located in Yorkville IL and once again limited out with 4 birds for my hunting partner and I...We hunted for almost 3 hours straight with one 20 minute break and my Weimaraner just wants to keep going!! I will say she was a little stiff yesterday but today she is up and down the stairs and on and off the bed without any problems! I feel very blessed to have a dog like her!

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you're very lucky ...enjoy her and take it easy on her and hope she has many more years in her..you obviously take great pains in her health and nutritition and its paying off now...God bless our four legged kids

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I do....I feed her the best food I can afford as well as give her all the exercise she needs..She was the first child (Before our son came along) in our houselhold and I charish every minute she is with us knowing how precious time is!!

I will post pictures from our outing when my hunting partner sends them over...God Bless Our Four Legged Kids!!!!

4. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Im lucky. My pup is getting ready to turn 2.Without a doubt my best friend. I plan on hunting her as long as I can. Good luck Chuck Hrosik
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Chuck,,looks are deceiving,,,Great looking dog,,,

(You don't look like a liberal),,,,,,,,,,,,

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Thanks pal. Really I'm not a liberal. I happen to be a blue dog dem. Can't really say that around here. Nobody will buy it. I love my French Britt. Great dog with a will to hunt. Gonna train her to retrieve ducks for next year. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I had to have my Golden Retreiver Sam put down last May 11th. He would have been 10 this past July. I still miss him. Bill T.

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

You made my day to say a wiemmy can make it 13. Our wiemmy Lucy is as much of our family as anyone. She is a big one. 105 pounds and not fat. At this moment she is in HER chair in front the fire place with it roaring. I don't really hunt much with Lucy but she had it in her to be a great gun dog. I get a kick out of her killing field mice when I bush hog. If it runs,climbs or flies she is after it.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Wow, a Weimaraner female at 105 lbs sounds way over breed standard. My Chesapeake male is 11 months old this week, 76 lbs, and right at the top of standard for his breed. Most Weimarainers I've seen are slightly smaller than Chessies.

10. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

My lab passed 2 weeks after her 15th birthday hunted with her every season, sure do miss her. thanks Ronnie

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've never had a large breed go more the 13 years with the exception of my big blue tick coonhound who bested that by 1 year as did my catahula...the catahula got that thing where their stomach twists ...I loved them all...my lab Asia is 4.5 and my constant buddy..wish I could teach her to actually drive my shooting cart
    [​IMG]

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a 13 year old beagle that still likes to chase rabbits. I try to restrict her time out in the field to a 2 to 3 hours at a time now. I still have to go get her, she doesn't want to quit. She moves a little slow after the hunt, and I don't let her hunt 2 days straight anymore.

13. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

My old Brit was raised in my dads kitchen and trained with biscuits. He had a complete mastery of the kings English. I got old Mutley at 2+ years and he passed about a month ago. He would have been 19 this comming April. I let him run free the last 7-8 years. We quit hunting 4 seasons ago. A natural, I put a lot of quail and some raised pheasants on the table. He was deaf as a stone, but had sharp eyes and smell. If you got 15 yards away from the house, he thought you were going for a walk or a hunt. DAMN good dog - and hundreds of stories.....merlyn

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

My 10 y/o Choc' Lab "Oscar" is like me, showin' his age but neither of us is ready to admit it just yet.

John C. Saubak

15. k3uro

k3uro Member

Buck, short for Buck Wheat, turns 12 this year. He still has all the hunt an old guy can stand.

I have switched to a pointer. I don't have to walk so fast, assuming that dang Rooster will waite until I get there?

Take care,

You all.

Jim

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You all be thankful, I had to put down my Cocker Spaniel last march at 8 years old. I know not a hunting dog but my best friend. I feel I was cheated some years and I still am not over it yet and don't know when I will be if ever. They make a big difference in your life and become family.

17. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

this is my staffordshire, she is 4 and tenacious as ever, i only wish i hunted more so she could test her skills out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

black_wal_nut

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Ole Chet was 13
    [​IMG]

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Great stories! I just love to hear about peoples dogs and how much they are loved and appreciated! Who ever said money can't buy love has never purchased a dog...Just wish more people had as good of character and loyalty as our four legged family members! Here is a picture of the Queen in one of her customary positions...Taking it easy as you can see! God Bless her!

[​IMG]

20. len loma

len loma TS Member

My 12 year old yellow lab max has bone cancer. He has large tumors all over his leg joins. Vet gave him 3 months at the very best in early August. Took Max for his last bird hunt Christmas Eve and hunting with 4 much younger dogs he was the only one working his heart out in front of us. I will miss my hunting buddy greatly. I can tell he has but a few weeks left before it hits his lungs. I will cry like a baby the day he parts.
    Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.