1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you clean your gun????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gncc600, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

While standing around waiting to shoot we got on the topic of gun cleaning and I could not get over how many different opinions on how often to clean a gun. One fellow who shot a very rare and expensive model 12 said he had not cleaned it since he bought it five years ago. Another fellow with a $25,000.00 Perazzi said he had his cleaned by Perazzi at the Grand every year. And some of us clean our guns that very day when we get home from shooting. So I am wanting to hear some more gun cleaning habits. What do you shoot and how often do you clean it?? The only reason what you shoot is important is to see if the people with high dollar guns clean theirs more or less than the guy shooting an 870.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Every day when I'm shooting it...

3. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I clean my Perazzi MX-10 RS & ASE Gold after registered shoots & before storing them for Winter.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But...define "cleaning"...is it a mere wipe down of the outside with silicone or oil to prevent rust and damage from "bad hands" or is it a comprehensive cleaning of the internal parts including trigger group and chemical clean of the barrel?

I've often wanted to know how often and how a barrel should be properly cleaned/maintained.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Every time one is shot, it is cleaned. Routine service, at least quarterly, involves removing wood and thoroughly degreasing, inspecting and relubing action and forend iron. Firing pins are removed, inspected, cleaned and re installed or replaced as needed. Mainsprings are checked or replaced.

Barrels are brass brushed every time they are shot, and ejectors are removed, and serviced along with action/forend service. Choke tubes are removed and threads are cleaned regularly.

Stock and forend is waxed regularly. If shot in rain, this is likely to be done that day.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Shooting Coach,

My GTI, though unfired when I bought it, had dry-looking wood in the checkering. I used a mixture of mineral spirits and linseed oil on it, 50/50 at first, and then decreased the mineral spirits to zero over three rounds of applications. This was done based on a recommendation from a local shooter/furniture restorer. It is now more uniform in color, and matches the stock and forend color.

What do you use for stock and forend wax?

Danny

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Johnsons paste wax has always worked for me. It kept those hardwood floors in the house where I grew up in pretty fine shape for 25+ years.

ec90t

8. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

After every time shooting, I pull a Boresnake through the barrel with a patch wet with Hoppes#9 wraped around the first brush. I wipe down the action, trunions, etc with another patch wet with Hoppes folowed by a dry patch, relube the parts and finish with a silicone cloth wipedown of all outside surfaces. After aout 5,000 rounds, I do a complete cleaning of the gun.

....Paul

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I completely tear gun down ( beretta 303) and clean after each shoot only because it makes me feel better about it. It would function almost forever without cleaning if I chose to not do it. I just really like to go to a shoot knowing it is clean

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I clean the barrels of my Brownings after each shoot as I have found that the chambers tend to rust faster than most of my other guns. I clean my 870 and 11-87 every now and then, but check the barrels often. I've found a mix of KROIL and Shooter's Choice, 1/3-2/3 really gets under the plastic and gives you a bore that is way cleaner than a pure bore cleaner by itself.

Wet patch, wet patch, sit ten or fifteen minutes, brush about ten strokes, dry patch or two, light oil. Look and squint from the bright reflection.

Stainless handguns, I clean when I can't stand to look at the soot anymore, except for a couple of early smiths that only shoot a couple cylinderfuls and gall up.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Minor cleaning after every shoot then a light touch of lube on the breakover parts. I also see Browning chambers trying after shooting. Then a deep cleaning and lube every year. Living in a dry climate not many rust problems. Use to live in what i call high humidity, then they were cleaned more. Mostly checking on any rust trying to develop.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I try to clean mine every time I shoot them. Clean the inside of the barrel and wipe down the outside. The only time I take them completely apart is if they get rained on.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I wipe it off with Clenzoil and run a boresnake down the barrel after shooting it that day, thats all it needs ... I drop the trigger group out a couple of times a year and clean with it Clenzoil but thats it ... Quick, easy, and more than adequate ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Inside the barrel? Every 1000 rds. is plenty! Relube the hinges everytime I shoot. Complete tear down? Once every winter. Some people have lots of spare time to waste, I don't. Lucky I have time to shoot 10K per year.

15. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I clean my gun, inside the barrel every 100 birds. I also give her a complete cleaning everytime I use her. Makes me feel good to know my gun is in great shape. Keep shootin
    Fran

16. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

Never, I just keep greasing the moving parts.....

17. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

Here lately it has been every snow storm!! But seriously I wipe it down after shooting each time and run a bore snake through it also. After 2500-3000 rounds take it apart and get more serious about cleaning. I shoot a Model 12 so I don't have to worry about porting, but I have a Browning 525 and just hate the porting. What a bugger to get the wad build up out!!

Merry Christmas

Austin Fatts

18. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

The guy who has never cleaned his model 12 since he bought it 5 years ago told me that when you use all those cleaners on the internals it just attracts powder residue causing you to have to clean it more. While I don't think never cleaning your gun is a good idea I do wonder if I could slack off a bit and clean it a once a or twice a year. Now I will always wipe it down and grease it but the tear down and scrubbing every time I shoot might be overkill.

19. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

As a retired machinist I was trained/instructed about regular maintence and cleaning. One thing about a Model 12 is the screws. I have very little trouble with my screws loosening or breaking so I leave then alone. I maybe check them if I think about it. I have never had my action completely apart I just clean what I can get at. So far so good. I do get a lot of kidding about having a screw driver with me out on the line!! Some of the people I shoot with call them the "dam" screw driver guns.

Austin Fatts

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Depends on the gun; autoloader vs simple break open for example. But I'd guess I'm into mine twice a year with one being just before any winter stoppage.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how often do you grease your trap gun

how often should i clean trap gun

how often should you clean your trap gun

how often to clean a trap gun

how often you should clean a trap gun

how to clean a trap gun

trap gun cleaning