1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you change your flag??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those of you that fly Old Glory:

We (wife and I) change ours about 5 times a year. Seems the winter is worse on them with all the winter storms bringing the winds. Edges get frayed, it gets caught on the eagle at the top of the pole, the sun fades its colors.

What do you do with your old flags? We feel it would be improper to throw them away but couldn't find a place to dispose of them properly until...We were cutting through another neighborhood and seen a box with a sigh "Dispose of your flags here". It was at a volunteer fire dept. so if you need a way to dispose of your old flag in a respectful manner call your local fire Dept. Mike.

Fly them high.

By the way does anyone know a wholesale place to get 4" x 6" flags?

Update. My wife informed that we actually dropped them off in a box in front of the American Legion. It is next door to the local fire dept. with a common parking lot. My mistake, Mike.

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have bought quantities of the nylon flags from here. Their are less expensive ones but they are not USA made. You have to call them up for a larger order break. I change mine twice a year and that keeps them new looking. Where do you live that you have to change 5 times a year, seems like a lot?

I run a couple fine stitches on the end seam to keep it from fraying. They could do this but then they would sell fewer flags.

CM

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is actually an Army regulation on this

But here are a couple of commercial websites

http://www.united-states-flag.com/flag-disposal.html

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

On disposal the easiest way if you arent going to do it yourself is to take to an American Legion or a VFW- they do this all the time.

On repair- if the end is frayed or tattered ( which on commercial buisnesses bugs the heck out of me) you simply hem it although that sounds odd but that is the accepted repair- now you cant get into the field of stars when you hem it back

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- great that barrelbulge is taking the time to not only display the flag but to display it properly

4. jwells

jwells Member

get them at the american legion, and they take care of the old ones. american made too

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Claymuncher, Pittsburgh, Pa. Weather is bad on the flags some years, but what is worse on them is my wife. If it has a small tear, or is fraying a little, as soon as she sees it it's we need a new flag and a few days later you'll find me taking the old down and putting up the new one. She is extremely Patriotic. At one point she had a room in our house that she called the Patriotic room. In it she had a Patriotic tree(Christmas tree) with all patriotic ornaments, and she had a 5' Uncle sam that when you approached it it would sing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy". Hundreds of other decorations also. Mike.

Jwells, Thanks i'll try them. Used to drink at the A.M. after work in the mill in my younger days.

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Depends on the year, I change mine as needed.

To dispose of the old flag, I cut the stars off the stripes, at that point it is not a flag anymore, two seperate pieces. Then I incenerate it completely in a fire.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

BB you asked "does anyone know a wholesale place to get 4" x 6" flags?"

You might try the link above they seem pretty reasonable to me. A local club used them and were satisfied.

Bob Lawless

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Bob, thanks alot. The dozen price is about what we pay for them at the flea markets when we can find them. Mike.

9. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

I change my flag 2 a year. I get mine from here .madeinusaflags.com
    I also take the old ones to the local boy scouts.

doc Pete Healy

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

Gene77777 has it right, give your old flags to your local American Legion or VFW post for proper disposal. The Legion Post I am a member of has a public flag burning ceromony on Flag Day every year. After the ceromony is over the members of the public in attendence are welcomed into the Post for a free lunch.
    I know that many Posts have a spring flag sale where you can get Flags at the Posts price.

We fly our flag 24/7 and replace it when necessary. Although it is not directly iluminated our dusk to dawn yard light is right above it.

ctreay

11. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Locally made here in Tennessee.

12. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Hard to find flags that are USA made but why would you buy them from China?

CM

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto all the methods to retire the flag but back to "how often do you change..." We hang a good sized flag on the front porch wall in a proper manor. It is protected from rain and gets very little wind. The first so posted lasted through most of our time in Iraq before being replaced by a new one. The protected wall is a much better method to keep the flag fresh.......breakemall

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Some years I will get only 8 months out of it. This time I got about 18 months. I'm looking for a replacement now because of one corner is getting tatered. It's all about how much wind you have in the area you live in. The sun also has alot to do with it.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What is the best quality flag to go on a flagpole? I just looked on Ebay and there are a number of types. Nylon, 2 Ply, Poly. Which is better. I do need a 5x8 flag. I do know you need a flag that is made just for the flagpole.

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

We use nylon on our flag pole. It is 20' and if you use material they look sad and limp when they're wet. Those of you that fly 24/7 I hope you illuminate them at night with proper respect. Mike.

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I take the old flag the the American Legion to be disposed of.

I have never had any trouble finding a flag that is made in the USA.

As far as illuminating the flag I have a clamp on solar powered LED light that does last all night.

One question I do have is, is there any regulation as to how much light is to be used?

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I would have to get out my Rules for the flag book but I don't recell ever reading anything about the amount of lumens needed. Mike.

19. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I just put a new one up today. I fly a 6x9 and unfornately up on a mountain, they don't last long. As soon as they show wear, I change it. Today I tried a flag made by "Windstrong" who claims they'll last longer. I leave it up 24x7 and it's lit at night.

blade819

20. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

Try US Common Manufacturer in Wisconsin of Flags and poles.

M Taylor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.