1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much to shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I'm a newbie on the forum but have been reading the forum for a little while. I started shooting clays a little over a year ago and am really having a blast. I try to get out once a week to shoot and am always looking forward to my next opportunity to go. My question to all is- How much and how often do you go shoot to become a good shooter... Can you over do it?... Or is it the more you shoot the better you get? Just wondering about how to approach this great hobby and get better. Thanks for any input.
    Bob

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Are you talking about trap or sporting clays?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn how to shoot clays the right way, find the right gun, and the right ammo. Do those three things and the more you shoot, the better you will get. HMB

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Lessons are a great help and will save money on practice in the long run.

Joe

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If you want to get good, make sure you practice with a goal in mind. Get the fundamentals right first. Your gun must fit and shoot where you look. Work on your stance, hold points for all the posts. Know where to look for the target on each post. Practice with a purpose and shoot as much as you can. Work on improving your technique, and note your mistakes so you can take steps to not make them again.

Scores should not matter a lot when you first start. Use them as a tool to chart your progress, but do not get hung up on them. If you notice your first round of the day is always better than the last, find out why. Keep a notebook and note how your practice went. If you are having a rough day, figure out why. If you are shooting well, again find out why. You are usually your own coach in this game.

With the price of this game currently you need to make the most of practice rounds. I have seen lots of guys who shoot lots of practice and never improve. They are simply banging away at targets, not working on their game. Practice with a purpose and you will improve and save a few dollars.

6. headhunter

Thanks, that's good advice. You are right,I can shoot prtty well to start, maybe two rounds of skeet and then the wheels fall off.. I sometimes get too much advice from more than one source and it's hard to recover. I thought I might be shooting too much and devloping bad habits. Maybe I get a little tired and stop the gun from moving, then stab at the birds.

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

Shoot as much as you can afford and as much registered as you can.

8. headhunter

why registered?

9. ryeandginger

ryeandginger TS Member

Don't be afraid to try a different approach. It's easy to get sttuck in a rut.

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

If you want competition so you concentrate a little more and want to save a bit of money, shoot a league. We have two night league shoots at my club and rather than just screwing around, there is a bit of pride involved. Cheaper than ATA and it does not take a whole day. Registered is good as well, just costs a little more and takes more time. Nothing against ATA, but I usually don't have enough time for a two day shoot.

Mike

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

headhunter- I would suggest joining the ATA and shooting registered targets. It will give you a record of your improvement, allow you to directly compete against others of similar ability and is the best way I know of to identify things you need to work on. You will find that you practice more seriously when you are practicing to improve your registered scores. Besides, it is great fun. You can go to any region of the USA and be welcomed at a new gun club.

Pat Ireland

12. headhunter

Thanks, I will check into it at the club I shoot

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Shoot as much registered as you can, when you shoot in the company of good experienced shooters. You will get better. You will see the good shooters, their stance, their set up procedure, the guns & ammo they use. In short its kind of like a free clinic.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.