1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much table space do I need for an SL900?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am trying to plan out my reloading bench so can someone with an SL900 measure the size of the area that I need of table space (using a Strong Mount)? Also I assume I need some space on the left for the bin of wads, how big is that area?

Thanks a lot!

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Mine, including spaces for the wad bin on the left and shell bin on the right, takes about 24" wide by 16" deep. The depth includes room for the shell feeder and the strong mounts pretty much flush with the front of the bench. 28" x 18" would be plenty.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Holy crap that's a big sucker!

[​IMG]

Ok so how big the bin on the left for the wads? Same size as the one on the right? And the 16" depth, I assume that's in the air for the casefeeder, but how far back does the machine or bin go on the table surface?

I want to mount it to the side of my bench and I think it will work, but I just wanted to check. I have the XL650 on one side and wanted the SL900 on the other side. Then just leave the middle for single-stage loading, etc.

Thanks

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

You can use any type of bin you want for the wads. I use a bigger one so I can dump an entire bag of wads into it without spilling any. I cover close to 30 inches wide with both the wad and complete shell bins. 16 inches from front to back is enough space. Its tall though too with the case feeder so make sure you have the clearance to pour shot and hulls.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We set one up in a finished basement room and damn near didn't make it because of the height considerations.

Nice machine, easy to use. Watch the primer feed, you can break the little plastic slider. (they supply an extra).

I love the small amount of effort used.

HM

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok now you guys have me worried since I only have an 8' ceiling in that room. My XL650 is high on the bench, but still enough room on top. Is the SL higher?

I think my bench is 24" deep so mounting it on the side will just give me enough width with the two bins on the sides.

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The bin I use on the left for wads came out of a refrigerator's ice maker, and is 4.75" wide. The bench I made is 24" deep by 39" wide. I have the strong mounts 0.25" from the front of the bench, and the mounts themselves are 10" deep. Yes, the 15"-16" measurement is in the air from about the front of the bench to the back of the casefeeder. When the handle is in the up position, the handle/ram linkage protrudes about 2" past the front of the bench. The shell bin is about 15" long. Again, 28" wide by 18" deep should be sufficient.

My ceiling is 7'6", my bench is 33" high, and I have about 17" from the top of the casefeeder to the ceiling.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Does the SL900 REQUIRE the strong mount or can you mount it to the bench like the other Dillon machines?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suggest making the bench as large as possible, only limited by the space you have available. It is simple to find things to put on a loading bench. Any flat surface in an area I am using quickly gets filled.

Pat Ireland

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Did you finally get one? Dave T.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Nope not yet....I ordered a bunch of ammo, will get back to looking later. I did pick-up a Forster Co-Ax for rifle loads so now I am trying to plan out my table. Either I fit everything on it nice and neat or my wife sends me out to the garage if I ask for more space & storage :)

12. mt92

mt92 Member

Dont settle for anything but the SL-900. You will regret it if you do, I know I did.

13. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yeah I'm pretty much set on it. Tried to look at the Mec's or P/W, but keep coming back to the SL900. Plus I love my XL650 and Dillon service is the best.

14. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

You need just enough head space to load hulls.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put the table and reloader in your bedroom. Then you won't have to worry about your wife sending you out to the garage. HMB

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I guess the old saying to each his own applies on a shotgun reloader also. My first progressive was a SL900 and it had some quirks I did not like and no matter what part was replaced it never got better. I quickly sold it and got a P/W 800+ with case feeder and electric drive and between me and a fence post I wouldn't trade my set up for two Dillons. Dillon does have fabulous customer service. I just like the die system better than turning some bolt in out for drops. Once mine is set I never change anything. I just go load a case in about 20 minutes with no strain on my body other than inserting a wad but I have twice the money in my set up than what a Dillon will cost you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.