1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much scope for a 375 H&H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I just purchased a 375 H&H as a birthday present for myself and I want to put a nice scope on it. I asked around my local gun club and gun shop and have gotten mixed signals. A few people tell me to go with a 1.5-5X, some say 2-7X, still others have told me that I have a 1,000 yard gun and should get something like a 4.5-14X. This will be my first gun in this cartridge so I have no experience hunting with it so I would like to draw on the experience of others. I plan on using it on black bear for the most part in Northern New York State and possibly on some boar. I someday hope to take it to Africa, but that is a long way off. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Kyle

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

First off, the 375 H&H is not a 1000 yard gun. The effective range is whatever you are capable of shooting accurately.

I am just finishing up a custom 375 and elected to go with a Leupold European 1.25-4 power with Talley quick release lever rings. It has 30mm tube and like all Leupolds, is a good value for the money. Is there better, more expensive glass out there - absolutely. You need to be realistic on how it will be used and buy a scope accordingly.

Welcome to an excellent big bore adventure rifle.

Eric

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I'll second Eric, a low power variable. I am partial to the Leupold 1.5-5x20, a classic scope for a classic caliber. Turn it down to 1.5 you have a huge field of view with a set of cross hairs superimposed, nothing faster for quick target acquisition, especially on an animal that might eat you. 5 power is plenty for all but the longest of shots. I have two on rifles and several extras if you are interested.

Michael Goines

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Good Advice so far, you do not need anything bigger than a Leupold 1.5x5 on a 375 H&H. I lived in Alaska for 10 yrs and a Pre 64 Winchester 375 H&H was my hunting gun for everything but sheep, then I used my .270

Oscar Ray

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What do you seriously think your longest shot is going to be?

The 375 H&H just begs to be used with iron sights. Since aging eyes work better with optics, and that the cartridge is designed for big or dangerous game at close range, it stands to reason that a low power scope is best. In fact, Leupold makes special crosshairs like the German post style, with the lower reticle post being very thick, it's purpose being to simulate a large iron sight. These are incredibly fast to use.

6. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Really depends on uses that the rifle will see. If it will shoot moose, that is one thing, African Sable or Kudu another, and Leopard certainly another. I can not foresee the need of a .375 H&H that would require more than 7X at the top end.
    Eye relief is probably more important. You don't want to get beaned by the scope. Tends to make one flinchy.
    Also go for good quality that will withstand the pounding. Africa is no place for scope failure.
    dju

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Good advise so far, for most close ups, low power as suggested, and as the gentelman said above as much EYE RELIEF as possible, just ask my right Orbit. Cyrus

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Low variable power, no more than 5 or six on the high end, low to the action, with extra low rings, so small objective size, and with as much eye relief as possible to lessen the impact when it hits you in the forehead

9. oleww

oleww Member

Any quality scope that can handle the recoil. I have a 45-70 single shot that broke the crosshairs twice now on a cheap Busnell scopes. My 45-70 will recoil less than your 375

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A 1.5x5,or a 2x7 is all you'll ever need on that rifle.Just buy a scope of the highest quality that you can afford(Buy American).BTW a .375 isn't considered a big bore..........its a medium bore.

D.P.Reynolds

11. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

The Leupold 1.5x5 is a great scope for a .375 H&H. I have taken two elephants with that setup and the only equal I have used was a .470 Nitro double rifle with iron sights for my third elephant.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Depending on your intended use, a low power scope is the way to go. LOTSA eye relief is key. Ammo loaded to max levels will give you scope eye if you don't watch what you're doing. The 270 gr bullet loaded to around 2800 fps will rock your world if you don't practice with it. The 300 gr pill is not really needed on this side of the pond.

I have a Leupold Euro 30 3x9 for my 375. A lot of eye relief, and built to last on medium bore rifles.

Realize the 375 is perfectly capable of harvesting game at the same ranges any 30/06 class rifle is. This gun, with the 270 gr factory load, has plenty of oomph and a flat enough trajectory to take a 300 or so yard shot.

If you handload, you can make this versatile firearm even more so. There are 235, 250, and 260 gr bullets that will flatten out this big round at long range.

It is not over powered for big bears, elk, and moose. With the right ammo, it is flat enough for that "last day of the hunt" 350 yard shot at a mulie or whitetail.

The 375 may be the most versatile rifle ever.

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

You've gotten some good advice so far. I have three game rifles and all shoot to the same point of aim out to 250 yards, so I use the same scope for each. I use a quality quick release mount and the scope is a Swarovski: this one

Z6 1-6x24 EE has true 1X magnification, to make an ideal scope for up close hunting situations. Combined with 6x magnification on the upper end,  you will be perfectly equipped for medium shooting distances. The impressive field of view of 127.5 ft is particularly advantageous during heavy timber hunting. The 1X magnification allows the shooter to keep both eyes open for faster target acquisition during close range shots. The EE means 'extended eye relief'.

Z6i 1-6x24 EE L

Reticles available

The three rifle calibers are: 30-06, 350 Rem Mag, and 375 H&H Mag. They cover about everything I hunt in North America and then some. There is something magic in medium bore rifles, especially in the 35 cal area...cya, and enjoy that new rifle. Over time, you will appreciate the 375 much more the. You think. Same could be said for a good 35 caliber -- .35 Whelen or my favorite, the 350 Rem Magnum....

14. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I agree with most of the comments. 6 power was the most that I used on my 375 H&H. It did a good job on everything from brown bear to mulies. The 375 will shoot about like the 30-06 with 220 grain bullet but with a 1 1/2 ton impact. I liked the 270 grain bullet for most of the game that I hunted.I am like Coach
    I think it is the most versatile rifle ever built.

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My .375 H&H wears a Series '60 Weaver K3 with CH/post reticle. Mounts are quick detachable for use of iron sights.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First thing to do is to put a break on that gun. Then get whatever scope you need to hunt the distance you will use it. If you plan on Africa and dangerous game a low power scope is best. If you plan on thumping elk, like I do, you will want more scope. My 375 has killed several elk over 400 yards. It is far more then a 300 yard rig. Jeff

17. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will go with either a Leupold VX 3 1-5 with a German #4 reticle or a 2.5-8 with a Boone & Crocket reticle does anyone have any experience with either of those reticles? That will really be the deciding factor.

Kyle

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Hunting squirrels with that 375? Watch out there dangerous.

19. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

If you can not see it in a 6x scope it's to far to shoot, IMO Ronnie

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I was not going to suggest a 400 yard shot with the big rifle, but Jeff has it right. It IS flat enough for that long, "must anchor NOW" shot. Make that almost 2 1/2 tons with the right loads.

A brake will make the big gun horribly loud in the field. If you put a brake on it, ONE SHOT without hearing protection will damage your hearing.

If going to Africa, make sure your PH will allow you to use a rifle with a brake on it.

I had a Browning Stainless Stalker 375 with the factory BOSS, and it was incredible. 30/06 recoil, but 7mm Ultra Mag (or worse) muzzle blast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3x9 for big bears
3x9 scope for dangerous game

best scope for 375 h&h

best scope for 375 h&h mag
best scope for 375 mag
effective range of 375 h&h
recommended scope for 375 h&h
scope for a 375 h&h