1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Rib ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

On a trap gun with an adjustable comb and adjustable rib, once the p.o.i. is set by adjusting the rib(say 70/30 as an example)is there any reason to adjust the comb to see more or less rib between the beads ?
    Thanks for your inputs.

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

FNG:
    If the gun fits you, and you like the poi, suggest remove that middle bead. I believe that middle beads cause more trouble than they are worth.
    Steve Balistreri

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you adjust the comb after using the rib to get the POI you want, you will change that POI. Anytime you move the gun's rear sight (your eye), you change where it shoots. If you absolutely positively HAVE to have a figure-8 sight picture, about all you can do is play around with the comb and the rib until you hopefully have both the POI and the sight picture you want. That's a lot easier with a rib that has front and rear adjustability, as moving the rear won't move the front sight (and change the POI) but will change the sight picture.

Ed

4. FNG

FNG Member

So is the amount of rib a person sees purely a personal preference thing ? With a lot of rib showing I guess you'd see the bird above the rib/bead, as opposed to seeing little or no rib and covering the bird up before firing. Is this correct ?
    Thanks

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How in the world would a person shooting a plain barreled gun shoot winning scores at trap if the rib is all that important?

Hap

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Assumption: A rib that is parallel with the bore axis and a choke that is concentric with the bore axis.

When the gun is fired at a target with the shooter looking along the rib or barrel (thanks Gene), the center of the pattern (the gun's point of impact/POI) will be the point of aim (POA oor where the shot was pointed.

Raise the front of the rib and keep the POA the same and the POI will be lower.
    Raise the back of the rib and the POI will be unchanged, assuming that the shooter continues to look along the surface of the rib.

Back to a parallel rib: Raise the level of the eye so the shooter is looking down onto the rib when firing and the POI will rise. This is the desire of shooters who like to shoot with a figure-8 bead configuration. The POI of the gun is a little higher than its POA. For many shooters, that means that rising trap targets do not have to be covered with the muzzle to provide the forward lead necessary to break them.

The eye acts like the rear sight on a rifle. When it is moved, the bullet impact moves in the same direction. It is the same with a shotgun's pattern.
    Hap - Because the shooter has a consistent gun mount, a consistent eye and rib alignment throughout swings and knows the gun's point of impact.

FNG - Raise the comb (the eye) and the pattern will rise. If I remember correctly, raise the comb 1/8" and the POI (center of the pattern) will rise 3".

The same is true when when the heads of shooters, for a number of reasons (poor gun mount/incorrect head and neck posture/inadequate drop-at-the-heel stock dimension), move their head and eye (relative to the rib), during swings to targets. They unintentionally adjust the rear sight on their guns. This affects where their patterns go.

A slightly incorrect sight picture (relative position of the front bead or muzzle and a target) when accompanied with a slight movement of the head during a swing can result in a lost target. This is an important benefit of shooting a gun with a stock that fits the size and shape of the shooter, one that allows a good shooting form to be used.

Rollin

7. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks for the explanations. That helps.
    FNG

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Would any of you buy a shotgun without a rib if there was one avaiable. They make a gun attractive, whether you use them as intended as not.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Dave P, I bought one when I was young and used it to register my ATA targets. I shot it well enough to make the 27 and won a car shoot on the way back. Tell me again exactly how important a rib is to breaking targets, aside from the looks?

Hap

10. Hap MecTweaks

Jr., figger 8 ? I R,I R shamed.:)

I'da probably continued shooting it cept it was stolen and gone for about 9 years or so. Got it back and was really tickled to do so too! I bought a P gun after it was stolen and shoot those today but they don't hammer targets as the old 12 does.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.