1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Punishment Can You Take???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I am very, very fortunate to live close to a fantastic shooting venue and participate at least two days a week. Through the summer I was mixing it up shooting a variety of 12, 20, and 28 gauge.

For the last couple of months I have stuck primarily to 12 gauge...I was gearing up for a shoot that as it turns out I will not be able to attend, but that's another story.

Back to the 12 gauge...I've been shooting 200-300 rounds in about a 3 hour span. My ammunition is mostly the 1 oz. $4.77 Federal Target loads from Wal Mart. I am noticing that right at about the 200 round mark I start to get fatigue induced misses. If I push through it and go to 250-300 rounds, my entire upper body feels it the next day.

I think I may have to curb my enthusiasm and limit myself to 150 *meaningful* 12 ga. targets per outing. I will probably go back to mixing in more sub-gauge practice, too.

How much is too much for you?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Try 1000 doubles. Of course that usually takes about 5 - 6 hours.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

200-300 in a day is normally no problem. But 1000 in five days in Las Vegas this past spring was just over my limit. After about the first 700 my cheek and shoulder were getting beat up pretty good.

I will have to tell you, when I took a long leave of absence from shooting I had to ease myself back in to it. Just after 100 round my shoulder was sore the next day. It is something you have to condition yourself to.

Bryan

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Many top shooters do or have done gun lifts regularly to prevent fatigue, some also walk, lift weights and other do exercises to stave off fatigue. Lifting agun gun requires a different set of muscles than were accustom to using.

Fatigue as you found effects your ability to remain consistent when shooting a large volumes of targets. Therefore your choices are to shoot fewer targets, lighter and smaller guns or exercise more.

Surfer.

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Surfer...your advice is full of fail. You left out the *one* option that is most likely the correct path to high volume target nirvana - BUY A NEW GUN.

I'm shooting a DT-10 Sporting 30" and I love the gun. When I shoot in South America I have used rented 20 ga. 391s and my own 687 EL Gold 28 ga....so I know a thing or six about high volume shooting. I love my O/U, but swinging 9-10 lbs. of fixed breech beauty just simply takes a toll on a guy.

I think I may need to add a dedicated target autoloader to the stable. All of the ones I currently own are field guns. Maybe I'll get a 20 gauge...are the 391's in 20 discontinued too?

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

There are lots of things that can be done to increase the stamina most are listed above. But for the recoil abuse portion lighter loads (as sarge suggested) or a heavier gun (more stamina work needed) or a true recoil reduction device or a combination of all of them is needed. In your example you have absorbed 200-300 blows in a 3 hour period that impact not just your shoulder but snap your head and neck back each time as well. That is one heck of a fist fight.

After 5o plus years of getting kicked by rifles, pistols and shotguns (plus 3 heart attacks)I have found that I need a heavy well fitted shotgun, a real recoil reducer and 1oz loads at 1180 to make a 400 bird full day of trap shooting.

--- Chip King ---

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

7mary3, If you shooting those 1290 fps. one oz. walmart loads, its no wonder your hurting after 200 rounds or so. Go buy some 1185 Rem STS one oz. or some Win. AA one oz at 1200 fps. Both are 2 3/4 dram loads in one oz. Or better yet reload your own at 1180 fps or less. This will put you back on track. Break em all JEff

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Grand American...2200 targets...11 days

4 days in between

Cardinal Classic...1000 targets...4 days

Kolar @ 10 lbs...no problems, no sweat and priceless.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

At 40 years of age,3-500 rounds a day was no problem. At 77,I am content to shoot 100. 200 tires me, no fun. In a 2 hour period,I shoot 50-100 1-1/4---3 3/4Dr Oakley loads. I don't bruise,but the arthritis in both shoulders flares up. I work out 4 days a week. W. Anderson shoots 300 registered everytime out at 80 years old. An exception. Clyde

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

1oldtimer, Willie is just plain stubborn and he loves to shoot. There's only one Willie.....thank God!

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Admittedly the G-Square system on my Xt cost half as much as the gun but I don't suffer from fatigue due to recoil, even with heavy loads. I made the investment with the idea that I could enjoy the game more and longer and have not been disappointed.

Robert

12. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

The Ironman Doubles Marathons or the torture tests are a lot of fun,but 500 pairs are tough.The Alaska State ATA has done it for 26 years and it is tough.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

SMT,
    A new gun always makes the day brighter, so never pass an opptunity to aquire one.....

I'm 69 and shoot 10 and 10-1/2 pound guns which seem to do fine for me, but somedays I do fold early because I don't follow my own advise exercising very little.

As far as the walley world 1oz 1290 fps loads are concerned, my girlfried and I have shot at least 50,000 of these since they were introduced, she and I find them pleasing to shoot and will continue using them until are discontinued or priced beyond reason. We also shoot games i.e. pot shoots, buddies, Annies and so on. Most of what we load for these games are middle of the road compared to what some guy's shoot, but if necessary, we can pull out the 1-3/8oz 40 grains of Blue, but I don't look forward to shooting these often........

It sounds like you favor Beretta's 391 20 ga., I have 391 20ga. sporting and they are soft shooters and a kick to shoot, so maybe you ought to ditch the DT-10 (put it in the safe) and get a 391, even if they're discontinued, I'm sure someone has a new one floating around some where.

Surfer

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

JF -

Confession - I rarely shoot trap! I'm a Sportie and my gun has it's own stroller. I would never actually carry it around a course.

Tron says I just shoot too much. But what does he know?? I've never seen him shoot more than 75 rounds in an entire day.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Age and fitness have a lot to do with it!

Before I hit 70, 500 bird marathons were a piece of cake.

Now that I am 77, 200 birds is not a problem ... but ... when I finish ... I am ready for a nap!

Let's not forget ... gun fit is a major consideration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.