Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much practice? 50, 100, 500 targets per week??

3K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  pigkiller 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how much practice everyone puts in each week and how many days per week do you shoot? How many targets do you shoot per week?

Right now I shoot 100 targets every Saturday. Is that really enough to become a really good trapshooter?

#5 ·
You can practice all day. You might just be practicing all your mistakes, all day. I strongly suggest that you attend a shooting clinic with a professional shooter, ( like Phil Kiner for example ) They will point out your mistakes, and then you can practice to strengthen what you just learned.

Regards
Ed Mathurin

#6 ·
I think that it depends on your age and how much talent you have. I am old (62) and have very little talent. I try to shoot 250 on Tuesday, 100 including a 50 bird league on Wednesday, maybe shoot 100 on games Friday night, a 100 or so on Saturday if I have time and 300 to 400 ATA on Sunday. I still seem to be progressing very slowly. I don't think just shooting practice will help, the Big Dogs recommend competion, even if its league or games, as it teaches you what it takes to win. John 8703697

#8 ·
I agree with MK what is the sense of practicing to much in one day, once you're muscles get tired you are wasting shells and time. It is the quality of the practice that counts not how many targets you shoot. I would rather shoot 50 or 75 targets then a 100 or 150 and not get any knowledge from it. You pick up muscle memory when you get tired not a good thing when you are trying to be very consistent.

#10 ·
Since I don't have the money to shoot as much as I would like to. I shoot about 1200-1400 registered singles targets a year. I shoot about 800-1000 HDCP & DBLS targets each in th registered year. When the end of April gets here I will start shooting practice 50birds friday night or sunday morning mostly 16's. caps and doubles when I feel up to it.
I do shoot practice at the state shoot before an event just to warm up.

Jason in PA

#13 ·
Once the ice pack clears off, as much as I can and as often as I can. I try and think of it like golf practice, try and make the same swing every time. With this it's try to mount, call and shoot on a consistent basis. I think most would say make sure your fundamentals are good first and then repeat to perfect. Unfortunately, like golf I have to tinker with things.

HJH

#14 ·
Shoot ,lately if I don't break mid 20's,I stop at 25.Until I break outa this awful slump,no sense wasting shells.........I know,some wanna know how I'm going to improve if I don't shoot more,well,Talked to my Yoda today,told him he better come have a look,,Don't want to get into too many bad habits that he's going to have to correct.Basicly,I think I've got Adult ADD,after first five straight concentration stars wavering.

Doug H.

#16 ·
I try to shoot 200 per week before the ATA "season" starts, weather permitting. I don't shooting if it is below 50 degrees as I don't enjoy shooting in cold weather. That being said the best practice is ATA, for me I can always screw down a little tighter when the targets are registered. Most of the shooters at my club want to practice 16 yd targets. I prefer to shoot HC. When the weather starts to get better I usually shoot HC alone with my ventriloquist.

#17 ·
At clubs where I have sole access to a range, I prefer to do drills. 5 from each post with the machine set straight away. 10 from each post with the machine set at hard right . The 10 from each post with the machine set hard left.

Then do the same thing from my handicap distance + 1 yd.

Phil Berkowitz

#19 ·
Up to this point all my jobs required travelling so the weekends were my only choice and since Church takes up most of my Sundays then I have to rely on Saturdays. After about 100 targets I am ready to call it quits for the day or sooner if things aren't going right which as a beginner happens often. I recently change jobs and no longer have to travel so I am thinking about breaking it up in to 75 rounds twice a week. I also am now thinking of reloading since I might be shooting more. May it will save me a few bucks and afford me to shoot 100 rounds twice a week.

I just don't feel like I can progress shooting once a week. Especially being a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.