1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much lyotype per 100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Roc'n C, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

I have access to about 1000 lbs of lnotype, i would like to know what percenage of this to 100 lbs of cleaned lead before i make ingots, Thanks Chuck

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Excuse the spelling lol

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

No more than 20% linotype in the ingots.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Linotype lead is highly sought after by handgunners who cast their own bullets, a quick check on ebay will confirm this. Seems melting into shot would not be the best use for it.

Robert

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I cast boolits with a mix of 2 pounds of Lino to 20 pounds of wheel weights, I size and lube them about the same day because they will "knit" and get very hard makes a good bullet but not good for hunting, hard bullets are used to cut down on leading in the barrel.

I dont know about making shot with it, I would think adding some tin would make better shot though, I never have made any shot so thats just my thoughts.

Rick

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chuck- When I was making shot, I also came across about 300 lbs. of Linotype. For me, the best use of this lead was to trade it to a rifle shooter for 1000 pounds of wheel weights. We were both happy.

Pat Ireland

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The composition of linotype as taken from a Lyman chart is,

lead 84%

tin 4%

antimony 12%

and the BHN is 22 and you never did say what you intend to do with the ingots, so giving you a ratio is impossible unless you specify what you intend to make from the ingots.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The fact that linotype contains a substantial amount of tin would be cause for keeping it far away from my shotmaking alloy. It takes very little tin to ruin shotmaking alloy.

Jim

9. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Thanks for all of the info, i was going to run it in with my lead for making shot, Chuck

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I am curious too. I would think that just plain wheel weights is what most use for shotmaking. Adding a pound of 50/50 solder to 10 pounds of wheel weights gives the alloy called 'hard ball' now and used to be known as Lyman #2, a good alloy for pistol and rifle bullets not pushed too fast. The tin in the solder is more to help with the flow of the alloy and not so much as a hardening agent. Now then I would guess that adding the linotype to pure lead would be neccessary to make hard enough alloy to make shot? Anyone know the receipe for that? Also for pure lead and linotype and pure lead for 'hard ball'? Bill

11. TOOLMAKER 251

Mag shot made in our country usually has around 6-7% antimony, chilled shot 2-4% antimony. If you decided to make mag shot you would have to alloy pure lead and linotype at a ratio of 50/50 to get a alloy which would have 6% antimony, but someone mentioned that tin is counterproductive to making shot. Your mag alloy would have 2.5 percent tin.

12. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Along this same subject, a hypothetical question...

Say a club was mined and only 6% antimony shot had been used there (or for that matter, any other percentage as long as it was known) . In the process of re-melting and re-dropping does the antimony content remain at approximately the same or is there any change (loss) due to the processing?

Thanks

Larry

13. TOOLMAKER 251

Shot is alloyed with 3 elements, Arsenic,Antimony, and Lead. I would imagine the smelters have a way of bringing the hardness back to what it was originally. If you take shot and melt it down for example to make cast bullets, the Arsenic starts to seperate and you wind up with a yellow/olive drab clay looking material floating on top the melted led. It's not a good idea to try this, I know.

14. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

At this time I have close to 1500 lbs of lead to make into ingots ,i;ve droped close to 800 lbs this winter , just looking to try to harden the shot alittle more ,Chuck

15. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

16. TOOLMAKER 251

I posted the recipe without using quantum physics, If you want to make mag shot (6% antimony) you will have to mix linotype and pure lead 50/50. 12% diluted by 2= 6% - Arsenic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.