1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much lead used per shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

All reclaiming machines I've seen are home made by very ingenious types. The work is hard, slow, dirty, and the ground needs to soft enough but dry enough, flat enough, weed free enough, rock free enough, and did I say slow; maybe takes up to 2 or 3, maybe 4 weeks of fiddling around on a club's property, interfering with practice and shoot schedules. You bet, you can make a living at it, especially at current prices, but this isn't driving up and down in your air conditioned corn picker with Journey blasting away on your Hi-FI....breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

PSSA throws between 1.4 and 1.5 millon targets per state shoot. So let's say everyone uses 1oz loads. 1,450,000 million onces or 90,625lbs or 45.3 tons of lead in 10 days. Seems realistic to reclaim after this shoot is held. But there are some other implications.

1. All of the shot cannot be reclaimed. A reclaimer will only run through the "hot spots" where the biggest concentration of lead is not on the iner/outer limits.

2. There are 52 trap houses at Elysburg so the distance the reclaimer has to work is spread out.

3. If you have a reclaimer preforn this service for you, the club gets a percentage of the take. This is somewhere around 40%.

4. These are in addition to what Bob stated above.

While reclimation is viable it realistically can only be done every 7-10 years or more at a "high volume" club to get the maximum return. At smaller clubs it is not ever worth the trouble.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know who the guy was that just mined Brittany Shooting Park but he had the best set-up I've seen. Right now I think he and the land owners are making a ton-o-money.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

TShooter92 you are right. Small scale lead reclaimation, with home made tools is easy and profitable. On a club trap range it takes about 20 minutes to gather 100 lbs of 98% clean lead shot. On a pistol range it takes about half that time. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.