1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Is TOO Much!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

The last few years when it comes time to renew my ATA membership dues, I seriously consider quitting shooting registered targets because of the higher and ever increasing cost. I also consider maybe shooting only the bigger shoots but I'm getting old and I need to shoot a lot to have any hope of breaking good scores. Maybe were are few but I wonder how many others find themselves in this dilemma? $33.00 plus daily fees, at the Grand is just too much! WE worry about declining attendance and participation so they throw in a few more categories, give out more trinkets and added $100k lewis class that shooters paid for. To me, this isn't the answer. I truly believe there will continue to be a greater and greater decline if we don't find ways to curb the increasing costs. I'm not saying ATA is to blame. The majority of the costs derive from ammunition,reloading components and targets. The world has many smart and initiative people and surly many of them shoot trap so maybe there's hope out there somewhere. Hey, how about making targets out of something else that would be cheaper, maybe corn or soybeans.They make everything else out of them. Oh hell, guess I'll go on line and get my dues paid.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Good choice..

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

^ LOL!

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Yeah...I'm done chasing NSCA punches. My ego is big enough (just ask my wife) and the cost v. benefit ratio just isn't there. When over 21% of registered shooters are M class, it just detracts from the status & meaning of the original classification system.

So to answer your question...I'm right there with you, just on the other side of the range.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you have admitted to yourself that you aren't getting as much out of shooting registered targets as you maybe once did. You're tired of busting your hump trying to keep up and are afraid of embarrassing yourself with only mediocre scores. You're tired of spending the money it takes to simply be a nameless face in a crowd of other shooters who show up and pay their money to shoot at their targets with no real hope of doing anything but packing up and going home at the end of it all. You imagine there ought to be a way to chop the costs of all this so you didn't feels so guilty about spending so much money for so little return. It's not gonna happen.

I think you've already decided that it's time to quit shooting registered; stop trying to find somebody to talk you out of it just so YOU don't have to make the decision for yourself.

Keller

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Trapshootertoo,
    Its the American way. Greed! Greed! Our Fed. Govt,Oil Companys etc. set good examples for us. Iam close to 75,000 registered handicap. Is it really worth while?

Clyde

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What good is money if you don't spend it?

No point in getting to the end of the line with a pocketfull of cash - carpe diem!

8. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

To jktphd, That is exactly where I'm at. I shoot two nights a week at local clubs with a swell bunch of guys and have a good time. Think I'll take Keller's and call it quits on registered targets. Lucky to have him help make my up my mind!

9. WJN

WJN TS Member

How much do people spend on Golf? Trap is a hobby to most of us. It isn't the cheapest hobby but it isn't the most expensive either.

wolfram - a friend of mine used to say - "If I leave my kids anything when I go - I have miscalculated."

Jim

10. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

1 oldtimer,What you said is true for sure. Looks like were not alone weighing the plus and minus.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Forget the required targets to get classified. Just shoot penalty B class in 16 yard events at the big shoots. Save a ton of money. After all you need 100 to 200 straight or better to win anyways.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...No point in getting to the end of the line with a pocketfull of cash..."</i></blockquote>Nor is there any point in realizing too late that it would have been a lot more fun spending the money doing something you enjoyed instead of doing the same old thing you always did just because that's what you always did!

Keller

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You have a lot of company in your dilemma, I'm a life ATA member but don't shoot many registered tgts anymore, the costs involved are just too high for for people like me (age 71 & on SS). I do still go to some shoots as a scorekeeper and so I can visit with friends, but can only afford 1 or 2 registered shoots a year. Also doing good to stay in the 80s with "maybe" an occasional 90, I do still enjoy shooting a couple rounds now and then but just recreational. Don't quit it's too much fun just find a level you're comfortable with and ENJOY. Ross Puls

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If you look back for the last 3 to 4 that I have been saying on this forum. The Industry is pricing itself out of business. Only old timers hanging on. Oh ya their are some young but not nearly enough to maintane the statius and enthusasium needed.

If the shooting industry don't work at lowering cost and keeping quality the skeet and trap sport will be gone in a very short time. Sad. Wild Bill

15. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks for your advise Ross. I too am on SS but still work a little now and then when I can find it. I try to convince myself the extra money I make pays for cost of shooting but it doesn't really when all things are factored in . Gas is now $3.89. I'm happy for those who can enjoy shooting as much as they want any where they want. It is and has been for 40+ years the most fun thing I do. Won't Quit but must scale back a bunch.

16. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Wild Bill, I hope you are right. Then when that happens maybe some will buy them out and market shot shells at realistic prices. I bought Fed. papers in my beginning for $2.50 a box. I've never forgot how good the smell!!!

17. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

33.00 dollars a hundred, plus,,,,whatever fees...... I will have a very hard time coming back to the Grand. Matt Nicol

18. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

If you look at the statistics published by the NSSF, NSSA, ATA, and NSCA, clay target shooting is actually pretty healthy...just not at the registered level. Leagues and informal shooting are up or stable in most areas, while registered shooting is fighting to keep it's head above water. The costs of competing (fees, ammo, travel costs, time away from work, etc.)are slowly putting registered targets out of reach for most of us.

Leagues, at least in my area, are thriving. I shoot a summer and winter skeet league, trap league, and sporting league. On any given weekend I can shoot 200+ competitive targets without a) breaking the bank or b)driving a hundred miles to compete. Plus, I can shoot practice at local clubs 5 nights a week. I'm much happier now that shooting is no longer an endurance contest. Absolutely nothing against registered shooting. If it is your thing, go for it and the best of luck. My old bones will take the weekly shoot at a local club, followed by a hot coffee or a cold beer and conversation with good friends.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I too have felt the pinch after owning my own HVAC Business and giving it to my son in 2002, am also 71 yrs old ond on SS.

But I shoot a lot of buddy shoots make some money and have a lot of friends in the same position.

Buddy shooting is actually on the rise we shoot 3 man buddies so you don't have to stand around waiting to shoot.

I shot from 6:00pm to 10:30 last night made some money and shot at least 20 buddies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Thank our current gov't for high prices on everything. Why single out ATA shooting??

Why come on here and try to convince others to leave with you??

Why would you think when the cost of everything around us is high that trapshooting should be cheap. You want others to lose money so you can shoot. It doesn't work that way. I am truly sorry that your current financial situation doesn't allow you to shoot the way you were used to. But that is a life's problem with many things in our older years.

Keep shooting when you can and as often as you can, it's a way of life.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.