1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH PSI ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by longrifle, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longrifle

longrifle TS Member

can anyone give there knowledge about routinely shooting high pressure loads from a beretta Ureka 2 20 ga? I shoot alot of shells for hunting and some for skeet/trap that are around 11,ooo psi. It is rather hard to find low pressure load data for a twenty that are the right FPS for what I need.

So I guess my questions to you would be can my shotgun handle these loads long term? will a semi-auto do better with higher pressure loads? worse? what kind of psi do factory 20 ga ammo run?

-Thank you to all for the help. - Skip

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I shoot The Federal PF204 shells for pheasant. These are 1 oz lead loads with a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps. This is a commercially produced factory load which is well within the factory specs for any modern shotgun.

We used to load 20 gauge shells for hunting using Winchester 540 powder, which is no longer available. Hodgdon (web site link above) has some fairly high velocity loads listed. If you can't find one listed there to suit your needs, I suggest you contact them for more information.

We stopped loading 20 gauge hunting ammunition because we only shoot a couple of boxes of hunting shells per year, so it just didn't seem to be worth the trouble to save a few dollars per box. Bill Malcolm

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

WW 540 and HS-6 are the same powder. Call Hodgdon.

HBT

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

longrifle

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAMMI) establishes max pressures for center fire and shotshell ammo. Following is the first shotshell pressure chart I found via google.

SAAMI Shotgun Pressure Specifications (Maximum Average Pressure in PSI)
    All Piezo measurements unless specified)

Cartridge Maximum Average pressure

10 gauge 11,000 (all)

12 gauge 11,500 (all but 3 1/2" mag)

12 gauge 3 1/2" mag 14,000

16 gauge 11,500 (all)

20 Gauge 12,000 (all)

28 gauge 12,500 (all)

.410 Bore 2 1/2" 12,500

.410 Bore 3" 13,500

I can't respond to your various questions but SAMMI doesn't consider 11k psi to be "high pressure" and a steady diet of 11,000 psi 20 gauge shotshells in a modern firearm should not be an issue.

sissy

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

longrifle

"It is rather hard to find low pressure load data for a twenty that are the right FPS for what I need."

It might be easier to point you in the right direction on low pressure loads with some information. Like how much shot, What FPS you require and what powder you are now using.

Bob Lawless

6. longrifle

longrifle TS Member

For Hunting: 7/8 oz shot 1250-1300 fps hodgdon longshot
    also: 1 oz of shot 1275 -1300 fps hodgdon longshot

I'm trying many different hulls but I've gotten the best patterns out of the STS/AA hulls so far(in 7/8 oz loads) with waa20 wads.
    The Fed's patterned good but I need to try a different wad- with 1 oz loads there is no room for the shot and the crimps were really bad.

If 11,000s not really that much pressure though, then I should be fine.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Skip, The 20 ga. is normally loaded at 1200 fps. If 12,000 psi. is max and you are loading at 11,000 psi. I would consider that in the high end. Find a nice load at 1,200 fps and add a foot of lead. LOL The 20 ga. is not your reach way out there kind of gun. That's were the 12 ga. comes in. There's give and take on both ga.'s. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge maximum psi

how much psi is in a 16 gauge shotshell
max pressure for shot shells
max psi for 20 ga
max psi for 410
max psi for shotgun shell
maximum psi 20 gauge
significance of psi data in shotshells