1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much is it worth??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Racerx, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racerx

Racerx Member

I have a real early 22. bearcat Ruger with a sn # 7XX and yes I know they have new ones out there that go for $500+ so whats it worth ??

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Blue Book Value

Old Model Bearcat Early Mfg.

100% $550

98% $450

95% $400

90% $325

Super Bearcat worth $50-$75 less.

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If they have clips that are detachable you can double the price and probably get it now. Gotta love capitalism.

4. Oregunner

The Bearcat is a revolver.

5. Racerx

Racerx Member

yes its a 22. revolver

6. Racerx

Racerx Member

heres a pic

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

What's the difference between a Super Bearcat and a regular Bearcat ?

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Bearcat has an alloy frame compared to the steel Super Bearcat.
    Same size otherwise.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Don't waste your time trying to get a value from the value books, they do not reflect current values. You need to observe the prices at which such items are sold on an internet auction site such as Gunbroker.com. You should watch the prices over a period of three-four weeks and pay attention only to the sale prices, not the asking prices. When you call up, say the Bearcat, you will find a list of them showing the asking price and the current bid price. Note that 90% or more of them will have no bids meaning that the starting price is too high. When one is sold, you can still call it up by its item number and see what the selling price was.

Be very careful to note the condition of the piece as shown in the description as that has a great bearing on the price. In real estate sales, the by-word is "Location, location, location", in selling or buying firearms it is "Condition, condition, condition."

Also be prepared to adjust your price downward if you really want to sell an item. Don't get caught in the self-made trap of "My-gun-is-worth-===-and-I-won't-sell-it-for-less" as you may find it does't sell at all. Be ready to negotiate slightly downwards if you are really interested in selling it or else be prepared to sit on the item for a long, long time.

10. Oregunner

The people that tell you not to believe the Blue Book value, are usually the ones that are trying to get a bargain. Realize that BB is usually a retail selling price, not what you are going to get as a trade in value. It is a starting point for an asking price and insurance value. Blue Book on Bearcats looks pretty close to GunBroker to me. Even if it a little off, we are not talking thousands of dollars here. Most people don't buy and sell guns to make a living. If it close to a fair price for a gun you want, the price you pay will fade, as you enjoy your new gun. Every gun that I really enjoy, I would enjoy just as much if I had paid $100 more for it. Mark

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I agree with what wahoo and what Oregunner are saying. Blue book can be spot on and way off. I like to use the compleated auctions feature of gunbroker.com. and then search for items with the most bids.

This does 2 things.. nUmber one you are looking at items that have sold within the time frame of the search. You can look up to 90- past on closed auctions.

You will see really fast what a gun in prime condition sells for VS a gun that that has some wear VS a real beater/shooter.

Unless you are a total moron you will see very quickly where your gun "Fits In" in the grand scheme of things that are SELLING.

I could care less what somebody is asking for anything. What an item sells for is what an item is worth and not a penny more or less.

If you look at all that and decide your gun is worth more then that to you...

That is fine as well.

If you hold on to it long enough it may well be worth want you want it to be worth some day. Or you could just sell it for a few dollars less and move on. Jeff

12. Racerx

Racerx Member

I agree with the last 3 posts.. the only thing im having a problem is most of the bearcats sold are high sn# guns not a three digit early gun ..so I havent seen any sells like mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.