1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Paladin, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

From David Gergen;

"Public spending by federal, state, and local government was 24% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 1950, 35% before the Great Recession, and could hit 44% this year."

"The Tax Foundation estimates that 60% of all Americans now receive more in income benefits from government than they pay into government, and that with new policy directions, the number will grow closer to 70%."

"The Tax Policy Center has found that while everyone is expected to pay payroll taxes, only 47% of American households now pay federal income taxes."

"The European Union has agreed that it is dangerous for a country to allow its publicly held debt to exceed 60% of its GDP. The Congressional Budget Office says that the U.S. could hit 60% by the end of this year, and on its current course could hit 100% by 2020."

"Meanwhile, The Economist estimates that the federal government now employs a quarter of a million people to write and enforce regulations."

"Personally, I find these trends troubling. If they continue, we will diminish both the vitality and prosperity of the nation. Government should be compassionate and yet lean."

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

And, from Second Amendment loving American's, that are sick of hussein;

"I'll keep my money, freedom and guns. You keep the 'change'.

"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing its idiot."

"If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's "free"."

"DO NOT tell Obama what comes after a trillion."

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Don't know about you folks but I've had just about enough of these no-good lyin chicken theivin Mf'ers,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish the worst for all of them,,,,,it can't come soon enough,,,

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

My opinion:

After "progressives" have created all the entitlements they want...the more intelligent ones secretly hope for a responsible, fiscally-conservative politician to come along and "do what's needed" to keep things on an even keel.

In other words - they want a Conservative to raise taxes to pay for it all, then take the political heat for it.

(Like Schwarzenegger and the budget-balance law in California).

Well - it looks like the U.K. just got "their" Schwarzenegger.

I heard an analyst say just the other day - whichever party gets the majority next in Britain will be out of power "for a Generation," as a result of all the tough, unpopular things that will need to be done to prevent collapse.

What happens when America arrives in similar straits? What happens when the Republicans won't allow new taxes...and the Democrats won't stop spending?

What stops the death-spiral, then? (Are we there yet?)

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

the government does more harm than good. Most of our economic problems were caused by government as well as most of our social problems. If the government would back off most things would get better and America would be a better country to live in.

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

We need smaller not bigger government. Big government just gets in our way.
    John

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

buzz, WHAT HAPPENS IS............GREECE!!!

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.