1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much for barrel work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullbangloss, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Can anyone tell me what the ballpark cost is to have a barrel done by Wilkenson or Allor? I'd be looking to get a single barrel and o/u barrel done.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Ski

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

WILKINSON
    Choke--Barrel work $700 plus Choke tubes 750 plus

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

In all honesty, what level are you at, and what do you expect to accomplish?

Many general smiths can extend forcing cones or open up chokes. Wright chokes or Brileys will help you if you have chokes tubes. Unless your at the edge of the top looking for that little bit to get you over, I'd look at other things first.

JMHO

4. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Matt, Check with Gary P. as he had Wilkinson do some work for him. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

Matt, I'll work on your barrels for free,...I've brought Larry S. into the shop for choke tubes, p.m. for my shipping address.

Wayne the gunsmith

6. jimbohughes

jimbohughes TS Member

I just had Tom Wilkenson tune my Ljutic barrel, changed POI and fitted two new custom tubes.Aprox. $550.00 ! I have spend alot more for less, I am very pleased...

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

IMO, Tom Wilkinson is the best at what he does. Tune a barrel to give you a better pattern, fit custom thin-walled choke tubes to your barrel etc. If he does it, you'll be pleased.
    He does the choke tubes for Silver Seitz when a customer orders a new gun. That alone should tell us something.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS I've talked to him, never met him and have no interest in his company.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Make sure, whomever you use, that you know how your gun performs now, and by what metrics they plan to prove that the work they do makes your gun better than it was before.

I think a lot of guys who do barrel work firmly believe they make your barrel better by what they do, but I don't know how many actually prove to you that it really is better.

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The absolute cheapest is Don't Do It. What can you possibly gain? Spend the money on gun fitting, shells, and targets. Barrel work will not get you more of those.

Charlie

10. pullbangloss

To all that responded, thanks for your comments. Even the smart ones, Wayne!

I'm not expecting the barrel work to magically be completed and break every target. I'm a AA-AA-27 yard shooter who just wants to maximize my gun.

I've seen many a Wilkenson barrels smoke targets consistently. However, my Perazzi does not. I used to shoot a BT-100 and that gun smoked targets consistently more than my Perazzi.

Thanks again.

Matt Ski

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If that's where your at, and that's what you want, then by all means, Kerry Allor.

12. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

Matt I hope you get that work done then maybe you will be able to hit target #50 for $300.00.

hook

13. JRW

JRW Member

Kerry Allor he will pattern the gun and show you on paper what has been done. When he did my K80 it was 300.00 per barrel. Jerry in MI.

14. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

T. Wilkinson approx $550 to optimize a barrel. If you've got a great barrel already, may not be worth it - but if you send it to Mr. Wilkinson it will be a great barrel.

Did a wonderful job on a DB81 barrel, tell him the yardage you're planning to use it for and the type shells you use, and you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Matt,

While you're at it you might contact the BEST - Jim Eyster.

His dad did the barrels for the first 500 x 500 squad at the GAH!

(740) 625-6131
    jimeyster@ecr.net

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

16. pullbangloss

Thanks again for the comments guys. You too Hook!

Matt Ski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are eyster barrels worth it