1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much for a new toilet and vanity installed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My wife and I want to have a new toilet and vanity installed at my mom's condo for her. I want a kolar or American standard toilet, something that looks nice and will last. I also want to have a new vanity installed with a new sink etc.

Anyone out there that can give me a rough estimate on how much these items cost individually, plus how much for instalation, what do you think the total cost would be installed for everything?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    P.S. I'd do the work my self but I can no longer bend down. My wife asked me how do I pick up my shells when they fall to the ground? I said I get on my hands and knees and I need two to three shooters helping me up.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Well Steve if I lived near you it would only cost you the materials. They are both pretty easy to install. Make a trip to home depot to get material prices. Mike.

3. senior smoke

Mike:
    There was a time that I could do this stuff by myself. It kills me to have to hire someone to do it for me. My wife now said maybe, we should get a new toilet and vanity for out home?

I said these were installed when the house was built in 1938, and they are still going strong. Can't stand replacing items that are not broken or can not be fixed.

She said why are you so cheap? I said i'm not. She said the only thing money is no problem for is your shooting and guns. I told her you have prioorities in life. Ok, I get her a new toilet. My rear end fits the old one like a glove though.
    Steve

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Steve, Depending what you select, your vanity cabinet and top alone could cost $150 to $350 without the sink. New toilet by a paid plumber $90 - $140.

5. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I'll do it for a flat of double "A"'s.........maybe two.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just did 2 of them, but used the low cost material. Home Depot vanity with top was a hundred, and the faucet was 28, a very nice one.

Toilets run 75 to 400 depending on how vain you are.

Figure 150 for a snazzy one.

Get a quote from a local plumber on install, check a few for pricing. Ask the management of her place who they use, you might get a break.

HM

7. single stack

single stack Member

1 Kohler toilet w/silent close seat and lid $189 at Lowes.
    Installed and all cleaned up in 60 minutes.

Sore back for two days.

The wife liked it so much, 2nd Kohler installed the following weekend.
    Installed and all cleaned up in 45 minutes.

Sore back only for only 1 day. I slid the 2nd toilet to the bathroom on an
    old piece of carpet instead of carrying it through the house.

The wife noticed that Lowes could have it installed for about $100.

I'm retired and I can afford that but I'd be reluctant to tell my friends that I paid someone to
    install it for me.

Bob

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Think about a handicapped user toilet. They are just a little higher off the ground for those who need to makes for easier use. Many are actually building new homes with these in them to start. Makes for better resale.

It may cost you a bit more but worth it.

Tim

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

My son is a carpenter, and was working for a high end renovation company. He came to my house after work one day to tell me about the new toilet I should get.

This toilet has an electric eye that raises the lid when you stand in front of it, and if you don't sit down right away, the seat lifts, as well. When you are done with your business, it will squirt your rear end with water adjusted to a preset temperature, cleaning you thoroughly, then gently blow warm air across the wet area, drying you off. When you stand up, the pressure coming off the seat closes it and flushes the toilet. It has a "skin sensor", so it won't activate if you just sit to pull on your socks, I guess. It has so many features that it takes an electrician AND a plumber to install, and takes about 4-5 hours to install and adjust all the features.

The cost, you say? Only $7,000.00 to buy, then the cost of installation. This house he was working on had them in all the family bathrooms, and "ordinary" $600-700 toilets in the public bathrooms.

10. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Hi Steve : As a general rule of thumb,you can figure on the cost of the unit,doubled installed [ie] if the toilet cost $100.00+ $100.00 for itstallation. at least thats what it was a few years ago when I was working.[plumber for 30yr's] Good luck

11. senior smoke

Thanks guys, as you have all been helpful. Sailor, that's funny that people would buy a toilet like that.
    Steve

12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Steve...I just bought the things you asked about.

Sink..on sale $60.
    Taps..........$98.
    Toilet........$168.
    Vanity top....$146.

I will install myself...All was bought at Loews..
    I will still need to buy new waste pipes and new supply lines, and you know now that I have the bathroom all torn apart I will have to give it a new paint job, lighting fixtures, and probably new floor covering....

It never stops.....

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve:

Save yourself headaches and high water bills and do not buy a cheap toilet. I recently installed two KOHLER Highline Classic toilets which are well-built and flush amazingly well with just 1.28 gallons. It's a little taller so it's easier on the knees and it includes the Quite-Close lid and the wax gasket. If white is OK, you can get one at Lowes for about $189 + about $100 for installation. Always replace the supply line too, it's well worth the $6.

Same with faucets - never pinch pennies on plumbing fixtures. The problems and cost to repair/replace them again in 4-6 years just isn't worth saving $50 now.

While you're at Lowe's check out Bertch brand vanities & cabinets. Excellent real wood value for a moderate price.

-Gary

14. senior smoke

Two dog and Gary thanks for the info. Years ago I use to keep a book on what every shooter did for a living. I found a few plumbers and they are all now retired.

I called one of them and he said he still shoots and reloads. He said he will go to my mom's condo with me, measure everything, and then we can go to Lowe's and buy it.

We worked out a deal. For most of the first 20 years that I shot, I used Federal paper shells. He loves Federal papers, and I said if he installs every thing, I'll give him roughly 10,000 once fired papers.

I said I just want to clear every thing out, so I'm throwing in that old electric tool that heated up the wax, and my first Texan reloader that I purchased with bushings, along with a powder scale and around 5 lbs of Red dot, and 800 Alcan primers, and about 2,000 12c1 wads. He was tickled pink, as I said it's worth it to me.
    Steve

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

That's a great deal, $500. worth of once fired papers to install the bathroom fixtures.

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Years ago, my kids toilet got limed up, and wouldn't flush good. A friend, who owns a major plumbing house here in Amarillo, told me to go to Home Depot, and put in a new one. I did that, and put in a new wax ring and supply line. Everything worked fine. Came back from a trip, and the linoleum was buckled under the toilet. Called another friend, to fix the floor etc., and he showed up while I was gone hauling cattle somewhere. When I got home, the entire bathroom was gutted. Asked the wife if there was really that much damage to the floor and walls. She said no, but it was a good time to overhaul the bathroom. That cost me $5,500. I told that friend of mine not to come over anymore, unless I was home. LOL.

17. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

If you go to Home Depot or Loews, check on vanities in the kitchen cabinet department. They are alot better quality than the cheap vanities on display. You can also get a vanity that is taller, which is alot more comfortable to use. Just passing on my experiences.

18. senior smoke

pj999:
    That's good advice.
    Steve

19. B.C.

B.C. Member

Just installed 6 of the Kohler's mentioned above from Lowe's $189. White
    $249. Biscuit went with the Granite tops. Not a hard installation depending
    on the width comes with under mount sink faucets were $89.00 for a better set.
    3 for me 3 for my neighbor. I'm 72 and just can't stop helping my friends. ! B.C.

{PS they are excellent quality }
    href="http://s8.beta.photobucket.com/user/wvfc/media/100_1749_zpsac006675.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I refaced my existing cabinet, and then wrapped new Tile around the tolie<a href="http://s8.beta.photobucket.com/user/wvfc/media/100_1750_zpsf62458a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>t and vainty

20. B.C.

B.C. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.