1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much does you Lab shed? little, medium, a lot!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Lab owners, how about labs as a house dog? Behavior ok and shedding livable?

Thanks and love to see your dog photos.

2. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Sorry, Ore,

Where should this be posted?

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Labs shed like the dickens. I have/had four since 1995, all three colors and I find the reason they stay so clean is that they are constantly changing into new clothes. If the significant other is a bit OCD about cleanliness, etc. and is not in love with the Lab it is hell to pay (or you get the vacuuming and dusting duties forever).

But, Labs are worth it.

HBT

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Our labs are/were medium(current)to heavy(RIP)shedders.There are certain things you just overlook,or just deal with when it comes to great dogs.....you just can't go wrong with a lab.

D.P.Reynolds

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

You posted it in a good spot why Mark wants you to go to an other sight seems odd. I have a Yellow Lab Ginger she is 10 years old and is the center of our family. My daughters and wife are so smitten with her gentle and friendly nature they start and end their day spending special time with her. I have her full time most days and we go every where together best friend and more. Yes she sheds a fair amount requiring some upkeep but she is such a great dog it is not an issue compared to the joy she brings to this family.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

mallard2....this should be posted in "off topic" when you start the thread. People that view their threads based on topics get pissed if your post is in "shooting Related" threads.

PS: Regarding setters, The Llewellan and Rymans are more laid back. The standard English setter can be a big runner and hyper. Same with labs. Watch the parents and see how laid back they are. Most pups are a handful till they're 3 or 4 years old regardless of the breed.

7. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

I have a chocolate lab that sheds enough for three dogs but she is the best house dog I have ever had.

She is not a watch dog she will help them haul my stuff away. She has never meet another dog or person she does not like.

It is worth all of the hair for how good she is. You will not go wrong with a Lab. Phillip

8. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I am on my second lab since 1996 and he is 2 years old now. My first female lived to 14 years and was a great house dog. As far as the hair goes, it seems like there is always hair on the floor, more sometimes than others but that is mainly my fault because I never bother to get into a regular brushing routine. Remember that any hair that comes off the dog outside from brushing is hair that doesn't get into the house.

Dave

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hardly any at all!

-Gary :p

gw22_2008_0303218.jpg

10. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

Maggie hard at work

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

When Labradors aren't a shotgun shooting related topic, I want off this rock.

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Of course labs are house dogs! Why do you think they call couches FURniture.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are great house dogs. Extremely smart. They are a good alarm dog but that is all. They love everyone.

This is our Gertie.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_0303.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030315.jpg

14. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

pullbang_2008_030321.jpg

This is my buddy Lacey. She is 4 years old and a GREAT pet. Yes, she does shed, more in the spring than now. Her shedding now is very minimal.

Don't let this breads shedding deter you from getting a Lab, GO FOR IT.

PS; for those that think this should be on another category, BS! This is the same type of conversation that you would have at a gun club along with trap shooting discussions!!!!!!!!

Frank

15. lc

lc TS Member

Labs shed their weight in hair in a years time. However, the love they give you more than makes up for the hair around the house. Brush once a day outside helps but you will always have hair in your house.

16. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

pullbang_2008_030322.jpg

pullbang_2008_030323.jpg

pullbang_2008_030324.jpg

MORE OF LACEY

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

You just wanted to see more dog pics, dincha? Here's Elle on a winter chipmunk hunt. Bill
    slayer_2008_030315.jpg

18. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

19. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

You Lab guys are funny about shedding. I have two GSDs and they both blow their undercoat twice a year, but never at the same time. I have considered stuffing pillows with the hair.
    If you haven't had a GSD, you don't know shed.
    Alan

20. 548

548 Guest

My 8 year old female yellow lab. Her name is Briley. Yes, named after my choke tubes.
    548_2008_030342.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.