1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much does weight fluctuation affect gun fit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 23, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    If you have been in this sport for any length of time I am sure you have heard fellow shooters comment after they lost weight or gained weight on how their guns no longer fit them.

How they had to adjust their adjustable stock or even had to purchase a new stock for their gun in order to shoot good scores again.

How many times have you shot and had a bad score and wonder what happened? You did not forget how to shoot, so what could be the cause?

Here's my question, how much weight gain or loss of weight can affect your shooting performance? Is it as little as 5, 10, 15, 20 lbs or more? Any one have personal experience after gaining or losing weight?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Most people that lose weight is in face first, and yes a small amount will affect your fitting.
    I visit a gun fitter, like Rod Stumbo several times a year.
    My 2 cents!
    Rooferbob

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would think a lot depends on how a person gains weight. When I gain weight, I pick it up all over. My shirt sleeves and collar get tighter, my pant legs get tighter, etc. When some people gain weight, their belly gets huge, but they are still walking around on those same skinny legs, looking like a fat guy riding a chicken. They lift their shotgun with the same skinny arms.

I would think a person would have to gain a LOT of weight for that to affect the fit factor. In the frozen north, people have to shoot in winter coats and that DOES affect the gun fit. But how much weight would a guy have to gain to be as thick as a winter coat?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The gravitational pull of the Moon will also play a role in gun fit. Now that the moon is at its closest point to the Earth your guns POI will change, causing you to miss targets. HMB

5. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Yep Steve it changes. One place where weight gain/loss is going to show up is the face. My 260 lb body had a fat face so my eye was further left and higher. Adjust comb to center pattern. Shoot 50 lbs off my body and now have a leaner face. Had to change comb position again to center pattern. Losing and gaining is subtle on your scores. It isn't a sudden drop-off it is one bird here and one bird there and then in an all day event you start missing more than normal when your setup seems correct and your mental picture of bird/bead/bbl when the shot lets off doesn't result in a smokeball but maybe a chippy break or a miss. Another place is LOP, fat chest vs. thin chest. That too is something you can adapt to over time and isn't so detrimental to scores as the face fat/thin effect though. Pattern board on a regular basis for me works. I don't change things on a whim and I pattern over several days to be sure of what I thought I saw the first day.

Don T. Littleton CO

6. senior smoke

A lot of you bring up some good points. When I gain weight which is often, the first place I notice a change is in my LOP. When I first started out shooting I took a 14 3/8 lop. Over the years, I am now down to a 13 1/4 lop.

My friend told me if I gain any more weight by next year I'll be shooting one of those pistol grips for a stock.

Trapshooters in general, are well known to point the finger at someone else which causes them to miss targets. Some of this criticism is justified, but I wonder if weight gain especially in someone's face as little 5 pounds could be the real answer on why some of us can shoot like Bonillas one week, and shoot poor scores the very next week?

Has any one out there ever patterned your gun before the weight gain or loss and then after? What was the difference that you saw on poi and even left or right of center?
    Steve

7. archangel

archangel Member

Sounds like it's all in the head. Mike

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I noticed my gun shot slightly right after my 25 lb. weight loss. It was not much, approx. three inches or so. Not to much, up and down. I noticed the weight loss in my face the most. I moved the comb to account for it, and shoot on center now. Unfortunately, my shooting has gone downhill since, but I know it is my mind that is the problem.

9. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I believe studies have shown that any weight change of 2 pounds or more require purchasing a new gun, having it ported, and adding an extra half-grain of powder.

10. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Mr Literalist, I do not know you personally, but after reading your posts for the last few months, it appears to me that you are a sage and wise man! These nuggets of gold are valuable indeed. I am changing my loader this afternoon!

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I lost 32 pounds this year, and my Blaser fits even better now. Went from a fit 185 to a very fit, if thin 153. This was on purpose for the cycling season.

I have also noticed when I work long hours now, my feet, ankles and such no longer bother me.

Being 62 and having to buy size 30 pants was a pleasant way to spend a little money. LOL

12. senior smoke

Shooting coach:
    A sincere congratulations on your weight lost. If you are in deed wearing size 30 pants that's remarkable especially at your age.

When I was in sixth grade I wore a man's small sweater and a size 33 waist pants. Nowadays, if you sewed 2 pairs of your pants together I could possibly fit into them.
    Steve

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Remember when you lose weight ,you also lose muscle strength---get into a real fitness program. The gun may fit but if your endurance is gone, forget about shooting good scores.

Phil Berkowitz