1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much does PORTING depreciate VALUE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I have a chance to buy used, in great condition, P-gun, combo, but all barrels are Pro-Ported. My choice would be no porting, but they were previously done. Gun is a very fair deal, nice condition. Has PORTING ever truly been a deciding factor on a gun you really want, but are hesitant because it is in fact ported ??!! Don't know why such a dilema with me. Moot point, or what?
    Rob

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of guns that I ordered with porting. I have guns without....if I were to order again today, I would not get porting done.

As to whether it adds or subtracts from value, that depends on if the buyer in question wants/does not want porting.

If I was selling a gun, I don't think I would add to the price if it had porting....kind of like wall paper in a house...its a nice selling point to those who like the paper but doesn't really add to the value.

On the other hand, I would not lower the price of a gun I was selling due to it being ported...it would just have to sell to someone who either likes it or is neutral on the subject.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

A personal thing, I guess. I wouldn't buy it. Might take it for free.

4. dimapower

dimapower Member

Agree with the point above. And, I think it's overblown on this forum.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but in the last 8 months I've passed on 4 guns that I really wanted because of porting. I have sold or traded all of my ported guns some time back.

As far as how much value is lost, depends on the market place when you go to sell.

ss

6. pheasantsgalore

Seems like every gun that comes along once-in-a-while........that you really would like to own and enjoy shooting, has some makers' porting done. Don't know what to think......... rob

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rob: Your point isn't moot, it's dead-on. SS's and Shawn's stance is common -- lots of people, myself included, will pass on a ported gun they would have otherwise bought. So if/when you go to sell ported gun you'll have a smaller pool of interested buyers. All else equal, less competition = lower sell price. It's a buyer's market right now, especially for higher end trap guns, so do yourself a favor and hold out for what you really want. If you negotiate wisely, you might be surprised what you can get it for.

-Gary

8. pheasantsgalore

I have a chance to buy used, in great condition, P-gun, combo, but all barrels are Pro-Ported. My choice would be no porting, but they were previously done. Gun is a very fair deal, nice condition. Has PORTING ever truly been a deciding factor on a gun you really want, but are hesitant because it is in fact ported ??!! Don't know why such a dilema with me. Moot point, or what?
    Rob

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of guns that I ordered with porting. I have guns without....if I were to order again today, I would not get porting done.

As to whether it adds or subtracts from value, that depends on if the buyer in question wants/does not want porting.

If I was selling a gun, I don't think I would add to the price if it had porting....kind of like wall paper in a house...its a nice selling point to those who like the paper but doesn't really add to the value.

On the other hand, I would not lower the price of a gun I was selling due to it being ported...it would just have to sell to someone who either likes it or is neutral on the subject.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

A personal thing, I guess. I wouldn't buy it. Might take it for free.

11. dimapower

dimapower Member

Agree with the point above. And, I think it's overblown on this forum.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but in the last 8 months I've passed on 4 guns that I really wanted because of porting. I have sold or traded all of my ported guns some time back.

As far as how much value is lost, depends on the market place when you go to sell.

ss

13. pheasantsgalore

Seems like every gun that comes along once-in-a-while........that you really would like to own and enjoy shooting, has some makers' porting done. Don't know what to think......... rob

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rob: Your point isn't moot, it's dead-on. SS's and Shawn's stance is common -- lots of people, myself included, will pass on a ported gun they would have otherwise bought. So if/when you go to sell ported gun you'll have a smaller pool of interested buyers. All else equal, less competition = lower sell price. It's a buyer's market right now, especially for higher end trap guns, so do yourself a favor and hold out for what you really want. If you negotiate wisely, you might be surprised what you can get it for.

-Gary

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Factory porting: Zero

Aftemarket: $50, even if it's an excellent job, it's deviation from the original and this is a minus.

If you don't like porting, it's the wrong gun for you.

About the only benefit is the porting of the lower barrel on the O/U. What good does it to reduce muzzle jump on a "single shot"? My combo came ported, I have no complaints.

16. shark1

shark1 Member

Very simple,
    Are you buying for investment and collector value? If so, then NO. If you are buying the gun to shoot and win? Buy it in a heart beat. PS I do not notice any difference with porting, (imho). Mike Sharkey, DC

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not like porting and would pass on a gun because of it, but thats my personal opinion and is purely subjective at best ... I know people who have ported barrels and they don't seem to be bothered by it ... If I found a gun that I had to have and it was ported it would have to be a steal or I wouldn't bother with it, I feel pretty much the same about choke tubes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's like chrome on a harley. The previous owner paid for it cause he wanted it, but he ain't getting his money back when he sells the bike.

19. pheasantsgalore

Setterman,.......shark1........I agree, this gun certainly not an investment, just a great solid shooter. Just that I have never really purposely shot a ported competition gun, and even though I see many ported competition guns in shooters' hands, its hard for me to know if those who shoot ported barrels, really felt it did nay good, from both a performance point, must mostly a sesale factor. Like adj. ribs vs fixed rib trap guns. Fixed rib guns seem to be worth little anymore, regardless of the economy.
    Trust me, I am not trying to even bother with pros/cons of ported barrels, just not sure what the heck to do. Like everyone here, I don't have money to throw around, but just unsure as to whether I might be making a mistake that I cannot reverse, without selling, and losing more yet. Guess thats the chance we all take...............Rob

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rob, A while back, I bought used Alferman with porting. If the price is right, I can live with it. What does it hurt? You don't HAVE to clean those little holes after every shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.