1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW MUCH DOES A DIVORCE COST?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was talking to my 25 year old newphew. he was pretty down. said he had been married 3 years, they own a condo, which is presently up for sale. his job had been eliminated 1 month ago, and he has been looking for employment. both him and his wife have college degrees. they decided they would go to washington d.c. to look for work, he's in non profit, and they had a good time and both said they wouldn't mind living and working in that area. his wife came home from work the other day, stating she was filing for a divorce. she would not tell him why, other than they were growing a part. she refuses to speak to him now. he's devasted. she gave him an address of a negotiator that she hired to supposely to handle the divorce. she said i would appreciate if you came to talk to him to discuss this. he refused, said he would not come without representation. without his knowledge, she took half of their savings and half of the checking. she took all her papers, passport etc, and left. while he was out of the property she snuck back in, and left a note that she was going out of town to see her parents. my newphew lives in the milwaukee area. wants to know how much does it cost usually for a divorce? there are no children. is there a flat charge for a divorce? he asked me for some help. any suggestions, also anyone know of a good divorce attorney in the milwaukee area? if any of you went through a divorce, any tips i can give him. he's a hard working young man, and this blind sided him. i asked him if he thought there was someone else in the picture, and he didn't think so. any help that i could pass on to him would be appreciated. also, does a negotiator handle the entire divorce? is he an attorney too?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Boy, Smoke, you sure have one hell of a time in this life. I'd like to see you come on the site with some positive news for a change. However,In your nephew's case...there is ALWAYS someone else in the picture.

Booger

3. chemist

chemist Member

Be happy she did not take ALL of the joint accounts. HIRE THE BEST ATTORNEY YOU CAN AFFORD- my first lawyer took 2K and did nothing, my first hour with good lawyer who was highly regarded to find out where I stood was $400 , they want $$$ up front- retainers- more time you argue in presense of lawyer more the cost-try to keep a better mental state as this procedes- one of the toughest hits life can throw you- but you are not alone -good luck-

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

She has found someone else.

He needs an attorney.

Luckily for all there are no children.

Get it done quick and tell him to get on with life. Then it will cost less - in every way (money and emotions)

Cost is reasonable if uncontested. If he gets stupid and argues over the Christmas decorations it gets real expensive and real bitter.

Don

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

What dverna says is right on the money.

The quicker he can get her out of his life, the better off he will be.

He should be glad that he found out before they had children.

Much more complicated then.

Hauxfan!

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Generally the divorce will wipe out everything a man has with the liquid portions going into the Laywer's pocket. It doesn't really matter what the soon to be EX wife is up to, obviously the marriage is broken beyond repair. Time to bail! Best thing for the man is a clean break without future obligations. Rebuilding from that point will take a couple of years but many guys have done it and have emerged the better for it.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was talking to my 25 year old newphew. he was pretty down. said he had been married 3 years, they own a condo, which is presently up for sale. his job had been eliminated 1 month ago, and he has been looking for employment. both him and his wife have college degrees. they decided they would go to washington d.c. to look for work, he's in non profit, and they had a good time and both said they wouldn't mind living and working in that area. his wife came home from work the other day, stating she was filing for a divorce. she would not tell him why, other than they were growing a part. she refuses to speak to him now. he's devasted. she gave him an address of a negotiator that she hired to supposely to handle the divorce. she said i would appreciate if you came to talk to him to discuss this. he refused, said he would not come without representation. without his knowledge, she took half of their savings and half of the checking. she took all her papers, passport etc, and left. while he was out of the property she snuck back in, and left a note that she was going out of town to see her parents. my newphew lives in the milwaukee area. wants to know how much does it cost usually for a divorce? there are no children. is there a flat charge for a divorce? he asked me for some help. any suggestions, also anyone know of a good divorce attorney in the milwaukee area? if any of you went through a divorce, any tips i can give him. he's a hard working young man, and this blind sided him. i asked him if he thought there was someone else in the picture, and he didn't think so. any help that i could pass on to him would be appreciated. also, does a negotiator handle the entire divorce? is he an attorney too?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Boy, Smoke, you sure have one hell of a time in this life. I'd like to see you come on the site with some positive news for a change. However,In your nephew's case...there is ALWAYS someone else in the picture.

Booger

9. chemist

chemist Member

Be happy she did not take ALL of the joint accounts. HIRE THE BEST ATTORNEY YOU CAN AFFORD- my first lawyer took 2K and did nothing, my first hour with good lawyer who was highly regarded to find out where I stood was $400 , they want $$$ up front- retainers- more time you argue in presense of lawyer more the cost-try to keep a better mental state as this procedes- one of the toughest hits life can throw you- but you are not alone -good luck-

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

She has found someone else.

He needs an attorney.

Luckily for all there are no children.

Get it done quick and tell him to get on with life. Then it will cost less - in every way (money and emotions)

Cost is reasonable if uncontested. If he gets stupid and argues over the Christmas decorations it gets real expensive and real bitter.

Don

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

What dverna says is right on the money.

The quicker he can get her out of his life, the better off he will be.

He should be glad that he found out before they had children.

Much more complicated then.

Hauxfan!

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Generally the divorce will wipe out everything a man has with the liquid portions going into the Laywer's pocket. It doesn't really matter what the soon to be EX wife is up to, obviously the marriage is broken beyond repair. Time to bail! Best thing for the man is a clean break without future obligations. Rebuilding from that point will take a couple of years but many guys have done it and have emerged the better for it.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It depends on teh state. A lot of states are community property which means everything ( inc retirement benefits) are split 50- 50 which makes it pretty easy

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Bet there is someone else in the picture. Women are like monkeys. The don't turn one branch loose until the have another branch in the other hand.

15. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

2,500 $ if you are lucky

16. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Get a good lawyer I did and now the cheating b***h is paying for the whole divorce and paying me weekly also.

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Based on the description, she has found another. And take a wild guess on who she is "visiting" on this trip. He should take the half she left him. They don't have much. Get a simple divorce. Move on. He is young. Jake

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Damn, you have had a rough week smoke! Senile in-law, hacked up 3200 and now this!? I think I would get drunk! In fact, I think I will anyway! Tom Rhoads

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, call your nephew now and tell him to cancel all the credit cards and charge accounts, the debit cards, all of it. And do it this very second.

Neil

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Smoke,
    My attorney practices law in both Wisconsin and Illinois and I'm usre could be of help. His name is Louis Scherb, his office # 847.724.5200. It sound as if this could be a easy divorce which should lend it self to being inexpensive versus a bitter divorce battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.