1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much do your scores drop in the winter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

It is not due to the extra clothing or anything other than the weather itself that accounts for less broken targets. When it is warm the target is not as hard as when it is cold or frozen. You may think that the hardness of a cold target would actually make it more brittle and it does but you need to drop the temperature down to the point of about 28degrees negative calvin to make the target brittle enough to actually increase your scores but at that temp you would not be able to be out in the cold for more than 4 or 5 birds at the max and the rest would have to be considered lost since you are not there to shoot them so ... well ... it aint the clothes but its the weather.

It might also be all in your head as well ... or maybe it might be the choke as well. Open up one choke and see if that does anything or maybe you might want to change from 7.5 shot to 8 shot or visaversa that if your the other way now or possibly just go to left handed shooting instead of right handed shooting ... heck ... maybe just save the money and not shoot till spring would be a bad choice as well.

Heck I aint got no clue as to what ... um ... uh ... I wonder what I should have for lunch today? Anyone have any ideas?

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I shoot with people whos avg only goes down a bird or two,,,,96 to 94,,,,,but mine is always about 6-8 down for the winter,,,93 down to 86-84,,,,half in the head,,,half ,,,playing with new loads ,and holds,,,and it F***in cold some days

3. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Try shooting Winter League in New Hampshire!

http://www.mountwashington.com/weather/index.html

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

lumper, it doesn't have to "negative calvin" to have physics hurt your scores. The increased air density of cold weather is all you need. If it gets to zero your full choke is IM, and so on.

Neil

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm with 682LINY, except it is the weather. Lousy backgrounds, cold swirling winds, low sun angle and I don't shoot well with gloves or when shivering.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

I find that when it is cold outside my vest and gun do not fit correctly. It would seem that the lumps in breasts throws everything off and ruins my shooting.

Does anyone know how to keep my chockahoonies where there supposed to be instead of receding up to my chest to try and find warmth?

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

My scores drop a bit in the winter also. Part of it is that we are shooting more games and little registered so concentration seems to diminish.

I hate shooting in the cold. The only thing I hate worse is not shooting at all.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My scores don't drop in the winter................ they disappear completely.

I quit shooting around Christmas and don't think about it again until April. I've reached the point where volunteering to inflict pain on myself proves nothing except a basic lack of good judgment.

Morgan

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I loose intrest in winter, I go to winter league shoots to beat the winter blues, I loose most birds in winter couse we shoot under lights more often. I just do not do well under lights.

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

A lot! Practice in the cold winter is a waste of time. I've gone from about 6,000 birds in the winter to about ZERO, and it didn't make one bit of difference after warming up in the spring and shooting regularly. Winter practice is about a waste of money, and your body.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Scores can drop in the Winter and we can pick up some bad mental and physical habits shooting in the cold. How long does it take to recover out normal style of shooting in the Spring? Early Spring scores shot in warm temperatures seem lower than scores shot in July.

Pat Ireland

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I quit shooting in the winter about eight years ago. I spend most of the winter wondering if I will forget some fundamentals of if I will forger some bad habits. It can and does go either way. Always makes spring interesting.

Bob

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Your right Pat. Early April scores can be kind of shaky, but by June when the Ohio State shoot comes around I'm usually in that summertime groove and hitting them hard!

I did try one winter to even travel far into Ohio, PA and NY for every registered I could find, thinking maybe a lot of shooting would bring me on stronger then ever in the spring. It did nothing of the sort! I should have saved my money for the regular season and stayed home and watch football.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

pretty much down to ZERO....but then I don't shoot in the winter either..sorry...couldn't help myself....

15. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

In Northwest Penna.I try to shoot as much practice as possible in the nasty winter months. We have terrible winters. But...when spring arrives and the weather gets nice, it just seems so much easier !!!!..........Uncle Sam, Pa.

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"...How long does it take to recover out normal style of shooting in the Spring? Early Spring scores shot in warm temperatures seem lower than scores shot in July."</I>

Believe it or not, Pat, my scores in the spring are actually a bit higher than they were the fall before. I used to try to shoot a lot of registered targets between in April-May. I think it's because I have forgotten all the bad techniques I developed during the summer and am doing only what I know I should do. As the year goes on and I encounter the occasional slump, I begin to change things about my style and end up being a confused mess by December.

Morgan

17. Dave L

Dave L TS Member

I guess it depends on the person. Me, i sweat really bad in the summer. I do my best shooting in the cooler weather.

Dave

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Speaking for myself, apparently a lot. I have also recently switched from 1 oz #8s to 7/8oz (velocity change from 1150 to 1270) and a new trap gun. As I reload, should I have kept the velocity the same? Back to the patterning board? Could use some suggestions. Cesar

19. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

My scores are down an average of between 10-20% in the winter---sometimes they are a bit better, sometimes ALOT worse. Up here in Northern Wisconsin it's a fun thing to do to get out of the house----the Winter league shoots every other weekend. You go out one weekend and are pretty much sick of it, but let a couple of weeks go by and----believe it or not----you're starting to look forward to it again. It really does seem to help the winter pass quicker.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

ChairborneRanger- So does shooting the Dixie Grand and the Southern Grand at Silver Dollar.

Dave- I also like to shoot when it is cool. But for me, 85 to around 95 is cool.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.