1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Do Add-On Ribs Weigh?? *****

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting an add-on rib for my Browning 525 Sporting Clays gun, but I don't want to add a lot of weight to the barrels.

Does anyone have an estimate of how much weight a rib about 3/8" wide, 1/2" tall, and 30" long would weigh?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

.61875 lbs for aluminum before machine work. After they machine some type of ventilation pattern in it it could feasibility weigh half that! I really dont see how some forward weight would hurt you unless you guns a brick now.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Jeez!!! That's almost 10 ounces. I doubt that the "ventilation" would remove more than about 1/3 the total weight which would leave me with about 6 1/2 ounces added to the barrel weight. This would make the barrels of the 525 (with the add-on rib) weigh just about the same as my XT barrels.

I was hoping to add height to the 525 barrels without adding more than 3 or 4 ounces weight. Guess I'd better figure out what my Plan B is. LOL.

Thanks for the info.

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Adam lost one rib , I am guessing 8 ounces tops, and Eve gained that!!

Just A thought

5. Illuminati

Illuminati TS Member

Just weighed a ventilated rib that is 30" x 3/8" x 3/4", it was 5.4 oz. So, 2/3rds of that is what you will have. Hope this helps!

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

The Delrin ribs that we install usually weigh about 2 to 4 ounces tops but that is spread over the length of the barrel.

Dennis DeVault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.