1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How much difference does a yard make?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am just wondering are there any actual facts or research to show how much an increase of one yard may lower (or possibly even raise) a shooters average?

It would seem to me that a one yard increase change could easily fall into the "noise" of statistics unless it was done over a tremendously large sample of shooters. Otherwise just how, even in 16s, you can shoot a 25-24-24-25 one day and the very next, under the same conditions, you end up 21-22-21-20 your average is substantially changed by one good or bad day. It would seem to me that these variations would hide any real provable change in score caused by just the one yard change.

By the time you have built up enough targets at the new one yard longer range to develop a true average, you have probably shot at enough targets to become more proficient at the slightly longer range and thus skew your average upwards.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hard to say because if you suck but shoot an out of range high score they back you up in hopes you won't do it again.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

3 foot or 36 inches, its like 6 or 2-3's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Between your ears, BIG DIFFERENCE! In all truth, very little! The first time you step beyond the 25 yd line, you'll discover there is a difference. You must then become more precise for each step to the rear. But with enough practice, they become just like 16 yd targets. Please don't ask how much practice, I have no idea, I never reached that level of perfection.

Big Jack

5. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

36" closer or 36" farther.

most targets are misssed by 6"....The 6" between your ears!!!

6. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

After I made the 27 I didn't shoot a decent score. Twice, I have taken the reduction to 26. The first time I lasted 3 days on the 26. Next time it took 3 months to get punched back to 27. I have decided I'm just gonna have to learn to shoot 27 yd targets. How could 26 be that much easier than 27? RM

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

BigM-Perazzi, I just burst out laughing, (hell, I almost spilled my beer). That happened to me! I was 26 yards last year and shot an "out of range" 96 and went to the 26 1/2, just to make sure that "dosen't happen again". I've been 27 and never refused a reduction. Lets see if 2 yards makes a difference.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

A lot depends on your vision and how well you can see the target from distance. There is a point where you cannot hit what you cannot see well. JRM

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You start shooting trap and get better and better ... so you keep earning a 1/2 yard or occasionally a full yard ... until you reach your level of incompetence.

There you stay until you have shot enough to get a reduction.
    The funny part is that you think "Wow! Now that I am back to my old yardage,l I can shoot a good score!

And you do and get a punch! Back to your level of incompetence!

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Guess that depends on whether you shoot a yard in front of or behind it,-- in front you'll probably break it-- behind LOST. grin --Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.