1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much CHOKE Needed for 16 Yard Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rennerize, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Drew, If it were me I would let Tom W. decide that, he is the expert.
    Don

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You are undoubtedly going to get 5000 different answers. I personally like about .032 for my singles and .035 for handicap but once again that is what i personally prefer. You could easily use a light mod for a slow shooter and have no problems what so ever. ----Matt

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Light mod (.015)?? Personally, at a minimum, I'd suggest .020-.025

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why are you going to need 2 barrels?

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ask Tom when you talk to him . It is impossible to really tell the difference between .032 and .035 . That is nuts .

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i asked an all american shooter one time, what is the best choke in constriction for 16 yds? in his opinion, he said 28 thousand choke. i asked him same question about handicap, and he said from 27 yards, as tight as i can get it. he said most shooters use 37 to 39 for 16yd and handicap if they don't have choke tubes.
    steve

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Drew, If it were me I would let Tom W. decide that, he is the expert.
    Don

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You are undoubtedly going to get 5000 different answers. I personally like about .032 for my singles and .035 for handicap but once again that is what i personally prefer. You could easily use a light mod for a slow shooter and have no problems what so ever. ----Matt

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Light mod (.015)?? Personally, at a minimum, I'd suggest .020-.025

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why are you going to need 2 barrels?

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ask Tom when you talk to him . It is impossible to really tell the difference between .032 and .035 . That is nuts .

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i asked an all american shooter one time, what is the best choke in constriction for 16 yds? in his opinion, he said 28 thousand choke. i asked him same question about handicap, and he said from 27 yards, as tight as i can get it. he said most shooters use 37 to 39 for 16yd and handicap if they don't have choke tubes.
    steve

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

.20 for singles. But remember much can be done with different loads, whether they be new shells or reloads.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ask Tom. I can tell you from talking to him that he thinks you only need two chokes. That would be .25" for singles and short yardage, and .035" for long yardage.

The previous owner of my first MX-15 barrel had Tom do the bore and chokes. He got it back with a .740" bore and matching .022", .027" and .036" tubes.

If you had Tom install his own choke tubes when you had the previous work done, all you have to do is order a new one.

If you don't get hung up on actual constriction, estimate the distance you take your singles at, then tell Tom to give you 85% PE at that distance.

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I don't mean to flame , but you contract with the "premier" barrel guru and then come here and ask us mere mortals for opposing views? You made the correct decision by choosing Tom. Stay with it. JMHO. Sietz #67 with Wilkenson tubes 25 and 35. I must confess though, the 35 rarely gets changed. My inability to crush targets has nothing to do with tube selection. Jake

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Drew...Here is my recommendation. Whatever you have used in the past....don't change! If I had your career achievments I would not touch one thing...nuttin', zero, nada......just my opinion......Uncle Sam, Pa.

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've seriously tried two chokes from "name" barrel-workers which were labeled "16-yards" and had about 0.016 choke. They never got me more targets than my usual 0.028. I have a favorite singles gun, with 0.040 choke but shoots IM, and not the super-full you might expect, so it may pay to check.

I now have another choke-tube gun, and plan to go through all this again, but bet I'll end up with 0.025 to 0.030 for singles.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.