1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Are Your Trap Guns Costing You?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In reading the seemingly continuous threads about the rising direct cost of shooting both in target fees and shells, I often see responses that can be classified in general as, " Why do guys shooting $10,000 guns complain about $4.00 targets?". Of course that logic can also be extended to people driving big $30,000 SUVs and Pickups complaining about $3.00 gas as well.

In contemplating these concepts it also occurred to me that even guys that don't shoot a $10,000 gun may be "spending" a lot of money on the guns they do own. In investing, there is a concept that can be roughly described as the lost opportunity cost. Simply put it means if I do "A" with my money it has cost me the opportunity to do "B" or "C" with my money.

Anytime we buy a hard asset, like a gun, it costs us the opportunity to put that money in, let's say, a 4% CD. Consequently, for every $1000 worth of trap guns in our safes, it costs us $40.00 per year in lost interest. Now, I only have 3 trap guns and their combined value is only about $4,000. But, even at that level, my guns are costing me $160.00 per year. This, of course, doesn't assume any depreciation or appreciation in value should I decide to sell them.

So, if you are going to complain about the rising costs of shooting, you better start with what your safe queens and shooting irons are costing you.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

No safe queens here. Still shooting the Browning Broadway I bought new in 1970 for $540. That gun is going to outlive me.

Eric

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Well...let's see....I bought my Ljutic 73 in 1983 for $2100......spent about $700 on wood and a reblue....my Browning ST-100 cost $3750 back in 1980....and I haven't "upgraded"....I'll leave the $10K guns to the rich guys!!

4. chemist

chemist Member

If you go into a sport as an investment endeavor I think it takes away the fun and enjoyment that you were seeking to remove you from the daily grind of tyring to make money. When I shoot the $$$$ are not in front of me any more than when I use my old bamboo flyrod which is around $1500 today. I worry about raising a fish with the ugly fly I tied with my 1000 investment in fly tying gear. I don't worry about lost flies or broken stuff- just enjoying nature and the friends I am with- You will leave behind a lot of $$$$ so why not enjoy one or two of them ?

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Except for the loss of any investment income my cost is zero. I also belive my guns are worth more than I paid for them.

Sharpshot thanked this.
  6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I keep going back and reminding myself of the days when I owned a 25 ft. Grady-White with twin 175 OB's and of course all the saltwater fishing gear and electronics.....makes the expense of trapshooting seem insignificant.

I plan on leaving this world the same way I came into it..."Nekkid & Poor".

Curt

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buy a Krieghoff. The gun that cost $4,000 in 1980 now sells for $15,270.

If you bought an automobile in 1980 what do you think it's worth now!!

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

My Kolar isn't eating anything and certainly doesn't need upgrading so I guess when you factor a gun like this over 10-20 years it really doesn't cost that much to shoot. No complaints here about target costs.

Steve

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I spend about $10,000 a year camping, shooting and having a great time. Can't think of another thing I would rather spend it on right now.

I have no kids to feed or school, just the wife and dog that enjoy the weekend trips as much as me.

When It's no longer fun I'll move on to something else.
    I bowhunted hard for years, got tired of getting up in the middle of the night to spend the day freezing in a tree stand and fighting over land, hung up my bow.

Did the cabin thing for a while, got like work, sold it. Did the lake boat fishing thing for a long time, got tired of fixing boats and cleaning fish, sold it.

What's next? I don't know, golf anyone?

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The Enjoyment factor is worth it. The $400.00 interest I would be receiving for/from/instead of my Trap Gun wouldn't last a year. The value I'm getting with 12 months of smiles, soot balls and friendship: Priceless. No complaints from me. Shoot well. Shoot many. Dave T.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The money wise thing to do is probably not to buy any firearms or shoot them but what good is that? A CD just isn't entertaining. Money is only of value when you spend it on something you want.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Terry, I see you are still stuck with that dog. I told you all I could afford was a $1.00 down and a $1.00 a month. If you would have done that deal in December, you would already be $3.00 ahead. Next month it will $4.00, March $5.00. How long can you wait?

Plus, at 4% you are already losing $116.00 per month! If you can't stop the bleeding at least slow it down to $115.00.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It was either the guns or an Escalade and I couldn't get the Escalade in the closet let alone the gun safe ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Life is about balancing your responsibilities and managing your priorities.

After you take care of your family, I think that it is OK to have a little fun. I knew a man who accumulated a considerable fortune but he never went anywhere or did anything. He liked to boast that he was “multi”. He never owned a clothes dryer, drove a beat up VW and died in his middle 60’s. His relatives are having a great time with his wealth.

My 870's and 1100's are paid for and require little upkeep. They used to dine on Federal Papers but, as of late, they have been fed STS lite handicaps, Federal Gold Medal plastic 2 3/4 dram 7 1/2's, Wal-Mart Federals and reloads.

Like Curt observes, boats are a hole in the water in which you throw your money. I still have an 18-foot bass boat with a 150 hp engine purchased new for around $20,000 in 1987. I rarely run it at more than 4000 RPM (45 MPH) as it can really gulp the fuel. I gave up updating the electronics years ago, as all I want to know is how is the depth of the water. I fish mostly for Bluegill and Crappie and I just put in and follow the bank until I get a boatload. I will bass fish if the spirit moves me. If I would have put that $20,000 in the market, I could have bought a couple of Kolar’s and a truck load of shells with money left over for entry fees. However, the family and several friends have had many a good time in the boat.

I do have several deer and varmint rifles that I don't use anymore for their original purpose. My lifelong hunting partner passed away in the spring of 2007 so I don’t shoot to kill anymore. Still, it is nice to "exercise" them at the range every now and then.

One of my biggest costs over the years has been computer gear. My first system in 1988 cost over $10,000 and you could duplicate its functionality today for around $500.

When you look back over the years, you may question some decisions. However, I have never seen a Brinks truck in a funeral procession.

When you go, all you take with you is memories. Make sure that you have some good ones.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Hmmm...so if I sold the Perazzi and invested the money I could afford more shells and practice rounds, right? But then I wouldn't have a gun to shoot....

Yes, I grant you that by doing one thing you forgo your opportunity to do another. If you buy food so you can eat, you can't go to the movies. If you buy a house to live in, you might not be able to buy the new car. If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

School teacher hit the nail square...balance your responsibilities and manage your priorities.

In that context, I NEVER complain about the cost of shooting. I complain about NOT being able to shoot MORE.

16. pdq

pdq Member

I can't believe it -- a thread about the cost of shooting with consistently positive posts -- very refreshing!

You guys are all correct -- who cares what your gun costs? It probably cost you what you can afford, and that allows you to then have a good time & enjoy the comradarie of others. For me, that's what it's all about. I have no ambition to go & shoot by myself at the range -- I go there to shoot & meet people I know -- great way to spend an afternoon.

And, at the end of the day, does it really matter what gun someone has? In the 3 years I've been shooting, I've never had anyone refuse to squad up with another person because they owned an XWZ gun.

Shoot what you can afford & have fun in the process. Same as in golf -- some people have Pings, others have Wilsons, but everyone has fun (and help each other look for the ball in the woods).

Pete

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yukon, you're still in a much better position than those guys who have to ask permission from the wife to buy a gun. Mine's well trained. She told a friend this week she has no problem with my bringing home another gun-as long as another woman doesn't accompany it!!

18. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Click on the link above and figure what your old gun cost in 2006 dollars ... Bill Malcolm

19. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If you have to ask the cost, maybe you can't afford one. Post-2

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It's cheaper than drag racing, skiing avidly, running a motorhome, or a bass boat. At least that's what I tell myself...and it's cheaper than drinking a lot or hanging out in the neighborhood bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.