1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many trap shooting fatalities per year?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Just read an article from the American Rifleman in 1990 that as of then there had never been a fatality in a scholastic shooting event. Making it much safer than swimming or football.

How many trap shooting fatalities do we experience?

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Zero in registered shooting.

jim brown

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I only know of 1 around 1989 from a Rem. 870 coming apart. Edit, make that 2. Someone was shot in the head while they were shooting different handicap yardages a 1/2 dozen years ago.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Fabulous record, considering we've enough ordinance to start another civil war.

5. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I thought somebody got shot in california at a range last year, in the parking lot, by a gun that was accidently loaded when somebody was getting it out of there vehicle

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I thought there was another fatality, possibly in Montana, when a guy tried a another guy's gun but was unaware there was a release trigger in it.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I seem to join the dead several times each season on the trap line.

Pat Ireland

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Early 60's at a local gun club. I believe it was an 870 or Model 12 that exploded with a piece of the receiver severing the jugular vein of the adjacent shooter!!

9. warren

warren Member

As I recall the death in So. Calif. was a suicide, I agree sport shooting in general has a very good record. My worst scare was when the machine broke down and the woman shooting next to me was waving her loaded gun around, I told her to unload it and she said she didn't know how. I promptly showed her how and needless to say was appalled and let her know it.

warren

10. TOOLMAKER 251

Oleolliedawg, Are you sure about your time frame? Are you sure it didn't happen in the late 80's at the Perry gun club, and the guy from Norristown, Pa. who died as a result of his buddies 870 blowing up on the next station.

11. oleolliedawg

I believe this one occured at Fleetwood and I'm quite sure of the timetable. The story was relayed to me by the late Bill Hunsberger who's been dead over 25 years!!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The man that was killed in Montana at a private ranch was shot by an inexperienced young man with a borrowed model 12. The gun was examined and found to work properly if I recall. The young man claimed his finger was nowhere near the trigger when it went off? A model 12 can do exactly that, if it happens to have a broken firing pin!! It can work as designed with a bad pin till the broken front end piece sticks in the bolt end!!

Our ATA trapshooting sport has a better record, death wise, than ping pong does!!

Hap

13. TOOLMAKER 251

Oleo, I am quite sure of the time frame also on the Perry intervalley shoot. It was a colored fella that was killed.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Yardage Separation is the best reason to shoot with guys you know . Or maybe not

15. oleolliedawg

Toolmaker, you're right about the color and probably even the gun club. I don't think it happened in the 80's!!

16. target 1

target 1 Member

DOES THE TRAP HOUSE COUNT AS A FATALITIE

TARGET 1

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I'm pretty sure more of us die from heart attacks, than gun related injuries.

18. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

After reading the above posts, I have concluded my reasonably new ( 8 years)hobby/sport is very safe and mighty expensive...Larry Lockhart

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

When my father was a trapboy back in the 1920s, a guy was killed when he was shot in the stomach by a guy handling a presumed unloaded gun left in the gun rack.

20. perazzitm

perazzitm Member

About the fatality in modesto, ca at The Old Fishermans Club, I am a member there and knew the shooter and the shootee, the story goes thaat the skeet range saftey officer had a lever action .410 that he was proud of for all the work he put into it and always kept a couple rounds in the tube so he could pop gophers with. So the day of the shooting it was about 9:00 am and this guy wanted to show off this gun to another shooter and forgot that it was loaded, worked the action and pulled the trigger thinking it was empty. The guy that was shot ( Wild Bill ) was in another group about ten feet away talking and he was shot in the back of the head and died instantly. It is a sad thing when safety get put by the way side when handling firearms. Since then we all have to store our guns inthe gun rack with the chamber open no matter what action type so it can be clearly seen that the firearm is empty and we are only allowed to closed a loaded firearm when we are ready to shoot. It was a terrible tragity that hopefully will never repeat it's self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
high school trap shooting fatalities statistics
trap fatailites

trap shooting fatalities