1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many touched by violence.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bcnu, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Just sitting here pondering our judicial system and thinking about how bad it is for the victim and how good it is for the criminal. I was wondering how many folks on here have been touched by violence, either themselves or their families.

My family was "touched" last November and we have been to the court house a total of 8 times so far with a continuance granted to the waste of air each time and no end in sight. Why is there not a limit on the number of times that they can get a continuance? How come the criminal has more rights than the victim? How come the victim ends up feeling like a piece of trash and the criminal feels victorious every time that he walks out of the courthouse unscathed yet again? If you were a criminal, would you be looking in your rear view mirror all the time? Because I'll tell you, I would sure like to be in that rear view mirror one day.

I'll get off my rant for now but will revisit it some time in my lifetime, maybe.

John

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

No, afraid not, I am getting a new flock of turkeys in Sunday night and have to be here for awhile. Will be at the whole Missouri fall handicap though probably on campsite A-41 or B-72 There will be a white Dodge Stratus parked in front of the camper if anyone wants to stop in and say hey. I'll put a big bcnu sign on the 5th wheel end of the camper. Anyone from here is more than welcome. John

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

John

The attorney's on the other side realize the stress they are putting you under. This is a tactic to get you mentally and physically exhausted. If they can cause you so much discomfort, perhaps, you drop everything and just walk away. You have no rights until you violate the law, or so it seems. We will be thinking about you and yours. Michael and Jane

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I know that. In fact, that is why I go to each and every one of his little court dates. Just to show him and them that I have nothing better to do than come to the court house and watch him squirm once every month. He also gets to see me which is more important. Fortunately I have an understanding boss and can go to all these even though it is not necessary. If nothing else, it lets them know that they are not wearing me down. He will get his sooner or later.

John

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John,

The laws of the street work in mysterious ways and this guy will get what he has coming sooner or later, unfortunately no thanks to the juducial system ...
    You will get the last word and his probably won't help him much in the end as he lays quivering and broken gasping for his last breath ... I have seen it happen many times, its just a matter of time ... Stay strong and stay well ... You and yours will be remembered in our prayers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. calilori

calilori TS Member

John, I was just thinking of you and your family yesterday. My daughter was asking me how things were and I was going to look for your email so that I could I check in with you. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Lori and Crystal

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My friend was beaten to death with a baseball bat by a group of thugs lead on by a policemans son. In rockland massachusetts outside of Dangelos. None of the attackers spent enough time in jail, anything less than death penalty is not enough. May their lifes be filled with missery and and hardship and not soon enough death.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My first wife was killed in a random shooting. The shooter was never prosecuted. My second wife was kidnapped and murdered by two escaped convicts. After a bunch of finagling, a federal judge, John T Nixon, overturned the conviction, stating it was "unnecessarily harsh". A step brother died at the hands of a friend, a cousin died by his own hand, and my Dad was shot twice while running a bar over a span of 50 years.

These things did not make me confident in the criminal justice system. These things did not make me shun firearms. What they did do was to make me want to be able to train folks to defend thamselves from criminal activity. As an aside, my passion for sport shooting has led me into the training arena as a coach, both rifle and shotgun.

I wish these things had not happened, and for some things, there is no closure. One must accept things as they are, and move on, with eyes and heart focused on making the future better.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, John...don't lose faith. Sometimes the system does work. I was almost killed by a stalker that ran away from the scene of the crime, was caught in another state some years later trying to kill another girl, and found out that he had done that to someone before me. He wasn't very good at it...never quite successful at killing anyone, but he is in jail for life with no possiblity of parole.

It took a little while, but he got his. The system is not set up to protect the victim. Be patient, stay quietly strong, and stay involved.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

John, Keep doing what you can. Gina and I will say a prayer for you and yours. This POS won't get what he deserves but hopefully he will be made to go to prison and stay there for a good long time. Jeff

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

John, I don't know the details of your situation, but would like to encourage you, if I can and, hopefully, offer some advice.

I'm a career prosecutor (with 80 days to go before retirement) and was a police officer for nearly 11 years before law school. I don't know what your state's laws and rules are (I am in Florida), but, (1) you should be in close contact with the prosecutor on your case. I make sure my victims know they can call me before any hearing and I tell them what is to happen there. If it is something minor, then they can elect to come or not. If they don't, I call them afterwards and tell them what happened. You can only do this with your prosecutor if you are confident he/she will not allow the case to be disposed of if you are not there. If you have ANY doubts, then you need to be there every time. There are slacker prosecutors just like there are slacker defense attorneys, slacker judges, slacker truckdrivers, etc., and you should, by this time, know what catagory yours fits in. (2) Prosecutors generally like to have the victims present at any serious hearing. It shows the defense that they are interested and lets the judge see the same thing. (3) Not all states have depositions and open discovery, but if your state does, then the rule of thumb is that it takes about a year (+/-) to get any serious case to trial. If the defense if forced to go to trial before they have fully investigated the case (gotten all the reports from labs, cops, etc., deposed every witness they want to depose) there is a chance some appellate court will reverse the conviction and it will have to be tried again. (Some defense attorneys-certainly not all- like to try to set this up by asking for continuance after continuance till they are finally denied). (3) Something that you could talk to the prosecutor about is asking the court set pretiral hearing or status checks at longer intervals. If the defense is actually working on the case (and that is always a problem for the prosecutor-getting them to actually take the depos, etc.), then having these hearings a little farther apart makes sense. I sometimes ask the court to set the next status check in 90 days rather than 30 or 60, but only if I am sure the defense will actually work during that time. That keeps the victims from having to come so often. (4) Sometimes the court sets these hearings more frequently if the judge has doubts that the prosecutor and/or the defense will actually work on the case without court supervision. Again, you probably have formed some opinions about both the prosecutor and the defense. You might discuss that with the prosecutor, if you feel he/she is being dilligent in his/her work on the case. (5) If the prosecutor's office or the law enforcement agency has victim advocates you should take advantage of them. Generally, they are know both the prosecution and defense and can offer insight into what is really going on. (6) Don't lose sight of the fact that this whole proceeding, from your point of view, is to see the defendant convicted of the highest crime(s) he/she committed. IMO everything you do should be geared towards that goal. Sometimes that requires patience, some extraordinary degree of understanding and biting of the tongue when the temptation comes to lash out at someone involved. My advice is to save the latter until after the jury has reached a verdict and the defendant is led out the back door.

I hope this helps you, in some way, to get through what must be one of the most difficult times of your life.

Bob

12. recurvyarcher

Excellent advice from Bob. I did, in fact, get quite a bit of help initially from the Victim's Advocate.

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, just got back from the court house. Continued till October 9th this time but, they are finally going to take depositions so it sounds as if the defense MAY think that I am serious now. This all started on November 17th of last year. So I guess that after the depositions it will be yet another year before anything really meaningful happens. I have stopped making my daughter go as it infuriates her and her mom to no end. I don't have to go but do just to see the little worm squirm.

As for the victim advocates, they are a joke as far as I can tell and should be made to repay whatever they are paid for working there. They keep telling me that the order of child protection that I got is not worth the paper that it is written on because the attacker is not someone living in the house or a relative but a classmate. A judge gave it to me, then amended it with a distance clause, he has violated it numerous times and is even on tape yet the V.A. say it will probably be thrown out. The prosecutor seems alright I suppose. It is just the total inaction of the whole system that gets me. At least I know that were I to ever do anything worthy of going to trial that it would be several years down the line before it ever comes to be.

Just my monthly vent on the justice system, or lack thereof as the case may be.

John

14. recurvyarcher

DON'T lose your cool. They are hoping for that.

Any time there are people sitting in the jury will be when your daughter needs to be there. Try to sit next to her with your arm around her, supporting her. Show the jurors what a good dad you are, and that you are reasonable. Do everything you can to make yourself, your daughter, and your family appear to be reasonable, intelligent, innocent victims.

Sorry for what you are going through. I know how it feels.

Protective orders do nothing, unless the victim and/or defendant are under 24 hours police surveillance. I know, I had an order of protection against the perpetrator BEFORE he attacked me. Be careful.

15. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

My 88 year old grandmother was raped and sodomized by a 25 year old punk ass gangbanger. I will be forever grateful to the sheriff's dept and the Texas Rangers for finding this asshole.

It was made real clear to the punk and his family that if he appealed his 40 year sentence, someone in prison would be notified as to what he did and he should know that lifers don't take kindly to child molestors and men who rape little old ladies.

16. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Duckman, the prison where this creep is should be notified of his whereabouts. Those guys don't want that criminal element to clutter up their midst. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.