1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how many times reload a hull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

I keep reloading the hull until the plastic gets crazed or split, but I have heard you should dump 'em after 3 reloads. Supposedly the crimp isn't as good and you lose velocity. Has anyone ever tested that or read about any tests on that? With the price of lead getting astronomical, I'm penny pinching everywhere I can.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I usually trash-em soon as it takes a piece of duct tape to keep the shot in.

Jim

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Pick a number 4 or 5 (max) - reload that many times and pitch. Why compete worn reloads against new factories in competition? Best Regards, Ed

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A quick inspection of my hulls on the evening of shooting and I save any that aren't split or developed holes. A test I did in the late 80s using once fired hulls and hand weighed charges; once fired cranked through the machine at full speed; beat up old hulls with hand weighed charges; and finally beat up old hulls cranked swiftly through the machine resulted in the very best standard deviation coming from those old, beat up hulls cranked through the machine at top speed. None of the samples deviated enough to concern myself with more precise sorting.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have a longtime friend in Meridian Miss who took a loader and everything necessary to make a test to a range and sat, loaded and shot an (one) old style AA hull over ten loadings and absloutely nothing changed enough to give a problem.
    Loade as much as good sense dictates and give them a heave.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I should have addressed the "change in velocity" more than I suggested. If there was any change noticed in my test, it was within variations in other samples. Then, when we're chasing a 43 MPH bird, do you really think our shell producing 800 MPH or 795 MPH is going to be noticed; heck, even 775 MPH? I'm reminded of a good friend describing his job in the Federal Court Clerk's office as "Pole vaulting over mouse turds!"......Bob Dodd

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Load them till the crimp starts spliting or you see pin holes, then trash them or load thm once more and leave those on the ground. You will be surprised how long some hulls last.

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Jim101-try dripping a drop or two of candle wax on the crimp....works much better than duct tape!! LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

PS Load them till they split, then load them twice more, THEN throw them away!

9. crk

crk Member

so how is everyone identifying their shells to know how many times a hull has been reloaded?

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Black felt-tip pen mark on the base - done while sorting. Just takes a minute to let ink dry, then load away. Best Regards, Ed

11. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Yeah, because when I load 500 shells at a time, I want to:

1. Count the number of marks on the end of each shell, followed by

2. Add another dash to the base

The formula is simple, shoot them until they split. Any loss in velocity is minimal.

12. BustClays

BustClays Member

I never thought of the duct tape before. WOW, now I can use the same 25 hulls, I'll just call 'em my silver bullets!

bustclays

13. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I load Federal Gold Medal hulls (the ribbed ones) 8 times. They really don't look that bad. However, 8 times is enough. At one time I loaded them up to 12 times, (TOO MUCH). I had a hull separate just above the brass and stick at the choke constriction. Fortunately I had the presence of mind, when only the brass with a little piece of hall in it, to look down the bore.

I keep my hulls in lots of 500. Each lot is identified by a letter and a log sheet is kept on the lots, how many times they were loaded.

Each box of 25 has a small Avery label with the lot ID. I have cartons that hold 500 shells, each box has the ID. At a shoot I take plastic bags, also with the lot ID.

This may sound somewhat cumbersome. However, I have been doing this for many years. It works for me.

Frank

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Almost all hulls, even the premium ones, have lost enough of their crimp strength after about 5 heat cycles (firings) that the chamber pressure and shot velocity have both dropped and the shot pattern has become tighter but less uniform (more inconsistent) than it was when the hull was new. In other words, you're no longer shooting what you thought you loaded. This was tested. It will probably be more of a problem in handicap than at 16 yds., but I discard everything after its fifth use (4 reloads) anyway.

Morgan

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I load them till they split or the crimp is bad. I truely believe they will go more than 10 times. I have read on the velocity loss but this is not a concern. I have had mis-loaded barely firing dudds that the shot came out at 1/2 speed and still broke the rock.(surprised me to!) To me this debunks the whole theory of speed making much difference at all. If your on they will break.

16. DocJim

DocJim Member

A few months ago the reloading editor for Skeet Shooting Review studied this and published the results in the magazine. He measured velocity vs number of times reloaded. He found no drop of velocity with shells reloaded up to 10 times I believe despite cracks and holes around the crimp line. He did discard shells that were split and did not carry the experiment beyond 10 reloads as I recall. Confirms what Bob Dodd said earlier in this post.
    Jim G

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I believe an STS or Nitro will go at least 10 times. I've done it and broke a few straights with that many reloads in them. A quick spin in the hand will tell you when to pitch them.Probably also depends on the dram load or PSI that you load them at.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is probably safe to reload premium hulls 6-10 times, but I do not do it. I have a lot of new AA hulls and about 4 times is enough for me.

Multiple reloadings will reduce the force required for the gases to open the crimp (reduce chamber pressure slightly) but this is somewhat off set by the increased friction between the wad and the hull wall that would tend to increase chamber pressure. The inside of a hull becomes a little rougher each time it is fired.

Pat Ireland

19. gold40

gold40 Member

At my club, they sell NOBELs and almost everyone leaves them on the ground. I started reloading them 3 years ago, and they work well; I toss them after the second reload, as the crimp becomes less firm.

CHEAP, available, and O.K.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I run as flat at a time 250. I keep the same 250 in the same box, when they get beat up I load and throw 1 last time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.