1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many times have you fiddled around ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

How many times, after seeing a gun advertised, you couldn't make up your mind whether you wanted it or not and fiddled around trying to make the decision. Then, when you finally did decide it is "the gun" that will (a) make you famous (b) cause women to swoon and (c) allow you to quit your day job and just give clinics you are too late and the gun is sold ?

Without any chance or a, b, or c above I just fiddled around for 10 days trying to decide on the purchase of a K Gun - and by the time I quit brain f'ing it the gun had been sold. I went back and forth rationalizing the the pro's and con's - finally convinced myself it was a good deal - and when I made the call to the seller the gun was long since sold.

Worse still, the next gun I decide I have to have will probably result in a hasty decision and it will turn out to be the worst move of my gun purchasing career. I think it's time for four fingers of Crown Royal Black !

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Procrastination has saved me a lot of money over the years.

Jim

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have a customer who did this on three consecutive guns. All he had to do was tell me he wanted them, and I would have held them for him to pick up at his convenience. Make up your mind what you want, what you will pay, and when it comes around, buy it or have this happen again.

I have a very short list of guns I will buy on sight if they are in the condition I want, at the price I will pay. Nothing impulsive about this.

I had been looking for a European Commercial '98 8X57 with Iron sights for a number of years.

A fellow walked in the door holding a pristine, unmolested, iron-sighted 1948 Husqvarna Model 640, with a post-war Belgian FN action. (WOW) He wanted $400 for it. To say I snatched it out of his hands while fast drawing my billfold at the same time pretty well describes the sale. It quickly became one of my all time favorite shooters.

Nothing impulsive here.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The last two I really wanted I decided to "sleep on" the decision. By the next day I lost out. Now I figure I will determine what I am looking for and what I am willing to pay before I even start shopping. When I find what I like at an acceptable price, I'll buy it and stop looking. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing an item you just bought and were happy with for $100.00 less the day after you paid for yours.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My dad(God rest his soul) always told me when you see something on the spur of the moment and you want it REALLY REALLY bad don't buy it. He said go home and wait several days to a week. He said then if you still want it that bad go back and see if you can make a deal. He said if you go back and its gone, it wasn't meant to be. Its damn hard to follow pops plan sometimes but it does help.

Matt

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Procrastination has saved me a lot of money over the years."</i>

No kidding. Missed out on some guns I later regretted not jumping on.

Still managed to buy a lot of guns. Some I later regretted buying.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That works with women too. I avoided my future ex wife several times.

HM

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I was told at lunch last week of an event on this site last week. A friend saw something on the site 3 minutes after posting. He walked in the next room to think about it and decided it was a "must buy"--- all within 10 minutes of first posting.

You are expecting this ending. Yep, only 10 mins elapsed and it was gone.

He could not sit down at lunch because his butt was sore from him kicking it for the next day or so.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I know this much. If a sweet deal comes up over night MIA is on it. He has Owl eyes and swoops in like a thief in the night. Next morning the only sign of the missed deal is Jacks big smile as he laughs watching the thread sink down to the done deal graveyard. I have woke many a morning to read of his new purchases. Have no fret it will be up for sale again some day at a new higher price after some of his TLC has been added. LOL

Matt

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

My mother warned me not to fiddle

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

amboy49,

The reason is you needed to do your homework in advance.....if you know IN ADVANCE, a GOOD THING WHEN YOU SEE ONE....you would have jumped on it...indecision means you were not sure: maybe it was a good thing.... when in DOUBT, don't do it!

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It happens with things other than guns, too. We were looking for a smaller home recently and fell in love with a completely remodeled bungalow that was done in all high-end style. My wife loved it but I wanted to wait to take the plunge until we looked at a condo the next afternoon. The contractor called the next morning to tell us the bungalow was sold.

We liked the condo and took our daughter back to show it to her the next afternoon only to learn it had been sold minutes before we arrived.

Three days later, we saw a condo that had just been listed online moments earlier for the first time. I called and we went to see it two hours later. We liked it and asked that it be held for us for 24 hours. But we thought about what happened with the first two and went back that same afternoon to take it.

In the end, I think things worked out for the best but it's hard not to shop around and then decide between several options.

Ed

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is an old saying, "after thinking you want something, wait two months before buying." You will be surprised at your interest in two months.

14. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

You are here for a short time,if the kids are fed, the bills are paid

enjoy the time left no matter the hobby. If you snooze you loose

It"s only money

jpark

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Well, fiddling with buying different guns? No. Fiddling with the gun I have?
    Constantly!! I was lucky enough to buy a nice gun which should last me the rest of my life. Although that new Blaser F3 has caught my eye. Always something new and improved. Dave T.

16. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I always wanted to be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

Ric C.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

To many have waited so long, that life passed them by. How many people have known a person who waited to build up their pension--lived long enough to get 2 retirement checks. How many people you know wanted to take a dream vacation, had a stroke & were paralyzed.

There is an old Jewish expression--Man makes plans & God laughs.

Phil Berkowitz

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I am looking for a particular gun, I carry cash in my pocket, not checks. When I find the gun I want, I don't dicker on price, I asked the guy how much and if it's a fare price I pay him. Over the years I had a friend that always had the money, but felt let's dicker to the point that he pisses off the seller. He looked over a year for a certain gun and one day found it at a gun show. He upset the seller so much by insulting the man with a low ball offers that the seller refused to sell the gun to him. I myself, have learned the hard way. One time I told the guy I would buy the item, and told him I had to get the check book from my car. When I came back he sold it for cash to someone else.

When I have something for sale I don't inflate the price. I put down the amount I want. If the guy attempts to get it cheaper, I raise the price 10%. One time I sold a 3200 trap for a very fair price of $900.00. I told the guy the price was firm. He offered $800.00, and the price went to $1,000.00.

I can not stand tire kickers and people who try to take advantage of fellow shooters. If I owned a gun store the price you see is the price I want. I am not putting the gun on layaway as this is not Sears. End of story.
    Steve Balistreri

19. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Strike while the iron is hot.

Considering how much ammo costs, a hundred here or there for a gun means nothing.

Buying good guns at market price is a good way to keep from wasting your hard earned cash

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Saw my Ljutic on the rack....shouldered it....coveted it....shot it...knew I had to own it...bought it...that was 28 years ago...haven't changed guns since...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.