1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many times do you reload a hull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herman63, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Was wondering what the average loading times would be for a STS and Old AA HULL?

Thanks, Herman63

2. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

I reload STS 8 times and toss em'.You could possibly get more but thats when they start to get ugly and I like nice crimps. Josh Andersen

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Herman, I used to get 8-10 loads out of one with mod. pressures in my loading data. If you use over 9500psi chamber pressures on your loads you may get less. They will vary abit from person to person on how the closing stations are set on the reloader as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

It depends on if im loading for singles or handicap. If it is singles, about 8 to 9 times, but if its handicap then maybe 4 to 5 times. that is for the sts hull. For the AA i would only m6 to 7 for singles and 3 to 4 for handicap.

5. philk

philk Member

About eight or so for old AA`s if I remember right, when they start splitting dumpem.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The original AAs, according to legend, going to be called the "plastic 50s" because they had been reloaded fifty times in the trials by Winchester/Olin. I have some that may approach that but have started culling any which show any "crazing" or any other kind of surface deterioraton.

Last summer, during trap league,on the fifth station, first bird, I had a shell go "ffft", and when I shucked it out of my TB870, fire flew out the ejection port. The case was tucked inside itself. I figured that the case had insufficient strength to hold the shot/wad back against the powder to insure complete ignition and, while the wad and shot ejected, the powder started its complete burn while somewhere up in the barrel. The shell had an alligator skin surface on the upper part of the hull. I have since become more careful in sorting and shucking those which don't look really good.

BTW..I broke the other four birds at the station..just don't ask how. I never saw them.

Don't take chances. Sort, toss and be safe.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The old AA's were the best of all for getting lots of reloads. Many times I would load them more than I will admit here and never had a malfunction. By the way... if anyone has some once fired OLD AA's I would be willing to buy a couple thousand of them. Send a PM if you have some. Rick .... Texas

8. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Until they start to split, then one more time and pitch them.

Joe

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I only reload my hulls two ot three times and either give them away to some of the club members or toss them. Hulls are to easy to come by to load them till they are ragged.

Tom Strunk

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Same, or close enough, as 90T shooter.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have loaded the old AA and STS's but I will not load AA HS hulls I do not load 2 piece hulls ever.

I only load all shells 5 times then pitch them. Put a small flash light in the mouth of the case and look at the side of the case like you were trying to see through it. After about 5 loads the appear to have very tiny cracks inside of them.

Also if you stick your little finger in the mouth of the case and feel the inside of the case they feel like sandpaper or like they are charred. I don't need to to take chances for the cost of a new batch of cases.

Bob Lawless

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

3X for Estates, Top Guns and Walmart MP's.

Curt

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

You can hardly wear out the Remington gun club hulls. They are tougher than STS or nitro's. Even the 6 star crimp sportsman loads are good.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I inspect each hull after shooting. If there is a pin hole or small split in the crimp area I throw them in a container for reloading once more for practice, then chuck them.

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Until they make your fingers look like you're wearing black gloves but aren't!! Or until they start splitting from the top. If I find a split along the side even I won't reload that...a guy has to have SOME standards ya' know.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Federal had a board in their building at Vandalia that had 20 Gold medal shells, each one loaded one more time up to 20'

The 20 loaded one had 8 little fingers sticking up.

But the most reloadable hull I ever saw was the old green Remington Premier.

I went to 15 and they still had a nice flat crimp for consistent pressure.

Old AA gets the little windows by the fold at abot 8 loads.

AAHS lasts longer, 10 or so but I won't shoot them in autos because of the base wad potential problem.

HM

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have my empty hulls in a container along side the loader and as I reach for one I look for the best one in the box. I select that one nad insert it into the loader. Then as I am going thru and see tha I have no good ones left, I dump the rest into a bag for dubs reloads. Little slower that way, but the singles and hcp loads look pretty solid when you are only choosing the good hulls. If there is any doubt they are in the dubs bag. All my ATA Hcp loads are once fired. That means I go thru about 2000 once fireds a year. Green STS fo rsingles and gold STS for hcp and old for dubs.

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I usually pitch mine when it takes more than one piece of duct tape to keep the shot from leaking out.

Jim

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

With all the once fired Top Gun, Estate, and Gun Clubs that people toss, why reload more than twice?

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Remington hulls, until they stop holding a crimp. Then 1 more time for doubles, if I have some tape handy.

Federal cheapies, one time and on the ground they go.

Rio papers, one time and on the ground they go.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many reloads per hull

how many times do you reload winchester hs hulls