1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many times do u re-load a Win AA hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Jun 21, 2013.

1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

I see people here buying up hulls fast, i only shoot 4-6 rounds of trap on sundays so i seem to get enough to get by fine.
    I think im going as high as 8 times on some win AA hulls, how many times do you re-use them...and what hull.
    Im lazy and stuck to only win AA hulls.

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Until is splits, develops holes or looks so dirty it's embarrassing. I don't count, I filter out the bad ones as I reload.

3. skipsor

skipsor Member

You might get one or two more out of them but they will be looking pretty ratty .

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If supply is not an issue, why push them too long. I shoot Remington reloads only, and put a slash on the bottom of the base each time I reload them. Four slashes and it's time to shoot and toss. But I have an almost unlimited supply of hulls. Mark

5. fuzzy-one

fuzzy-one TS Member

I'm in the same camp as Oregunner, four slashes and toss the Gun Clubs.

6. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Not all questions are a waste of time, i never thought of marking the hulls with a marker, i like it, also 2 JOE KUHN, made me laugh! "or looks so dirty it's embarrassing" me too especially on a red hull!

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use Joe Kuhn's method. I've tossed once fired hulls that were too blackened around the hull mouth. I have no counting method. I do a quick inspection as I fill my hull bin next to the loader. If it still looks good with no holes, tears or other issues, it gets loaded. Typically I load nothing but Remington STS and Nitro hulls. I would guess they get somewhere around 5-7 loadings before my quality control trash cans 'em. Lately I have been loading some Remington Gun Club hulls. With those I load 'em once and pitch 'em.

Of the 2-Pc AA hulls I have reloaded, I load 'em one time and toss 'em. I know that sounds wasteful but I have problems with the crimps to start with and trying to push another reload out of it is more than I care to mess with.

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I find that the red AAHS hulls will load about 4 or maybe 5 times before they start to split or look nasty. The grey ones will go 5-6. Not that I couldn't load them more times, just that when I get to that number, I toss them.

I have also noticed that the red AAHS hulls with the black line beneath the AA (the latest generation) seems to be a better hull than the last ones, the ones with just an AA on them. With those, I was lucky to get 3 loadings before many or most started to split. Some split on the first firing in their factory loading. Again, I "could" have loaded them longer, but ....

Bob

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There was a thread a few months back where the poster reported reloading AA's about 20 times. Personally I don't feel the need to keep them past about 5 loads.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Been told the variation in speed increases past about 4 or 5. No two shells shoot exactly alike. The differences are measured as variance. Why allow that variable to sneak in, that's the line of thinking.

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Don't see many red AA's around anymore - plenty of the gray. Extra-Lite with a Fed. primer and the AA reds stay clean thru 5 reloads. A split below the crimp line and toss. Gun clubs and Fiocchi, 5 times and toss.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I inspect my hulls each time I shoot. When I see a pin hole they go into the "load once more time box." Then I load them that last time for practice, 5 stand or sporting clays and trash them. I don't care if they look dirty.

13. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use AA hulls and reload them 6 times. Remember reading an article that said after 6 or 7 reloads, the variation in velocity had become unacceptable, probably because of the quality of the crimp. If the hull mouth begins to split before 6 reloadings, it is also tossed.

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'd be ashamed to admit how many times I reload hulls, but I feel around the case as I reload them, and I'm pretty fussy about dumping hulls look nasty or that show any signs of splitting. You don't have to look at them, really. You can feel a split.

And judging by the grimy crap I see on the ground at shoots, I'm not the only one. I haven't noticed a tangible difference in velocity with old hulls, but you may be right.

I keep telling myself to just start dumping hulls to work down my inventory. It's getting hard to close the garage door.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One now deceased shooter claims to have loaded an old style AA 47 times. The hull looked like it too!!

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Never, because of base wad issues. And yes, I've seen a base wad get lodged in a buddy's barrel. Good thing he was shooting an OU and has a habit of looking down his barrel when he loads another shell.

17. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I have loaded my batch of old style AA's both red and gray 6 times now. about to setup another run.

I actually put them into the washer in a laundry bag to clean them.

My reloads look nearly new.

I trash them when they show splits etc.

I see no reason why they shouldn't last as long as they last. We all trash bad hulls as they show up but putting an arbitrary number on the number of times thru the machine is pointless. If you want to toss them fine but I personally see no reason. I think reloading anything all comes down to confidence in what you are doing.

Also I would like to see some real Chrono data on variances in velocity. IF the hull is loaded correctly and the crimp is right then how is it going to change the velocity? Wad pressure and crimp would be the only two important variables with respect to how the shell goes off.

If it is really that critical then why reload at all? I don't think I will ever really be good enough to know the difference.

Randy

18. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I roll the mouth between my fingers as well; if it feels mushy, it goes out.

Remington Gun Clubs are indestructible ! Better than STS or anything else in my opinion

STS seem to burn at the mouth sooner than others

Federals I use 3 or 4 times until they look dirty at the mouth

19. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Nice Article Keller!

PS- I finally got around to cutting open some factory fresh AA SuperHandicaps and you were right, not a speck of glue to be found!

20. tburrey

tburrey Member

I'm with Joe Kuhn on this one. I've reloaded for over 40 yrs and now only load gun clubs and STS. I don't count just pitch them when they are cracked, pin holes at crimp, or have that worn dirty shot out look to them. No problem. Tom