1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many think Magic Eye Dots help scores ????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cec, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

I use Magic Eye Dots and think they help prevent crossover sighting thus helping my scores.

How many think they work and why? If not, why not?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I think it works very well, at least in my application. You're going to get a variety of opinions here. I like the Magic Dot because you can accurately place the dot to prevent the left eye (dominate eye) from seeing the barrel. I say accurately because it utilizes that circular guide for placement. Plus, it doesn't cover up a lot of the lens which helps with the seeing the target with both eyes when it emerges from the house.

Bryan

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

If your eyes compete for which one will be the master eye [like me] it is your ONLY option...........

GS

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Magic dots cost more than they are worth. Lightly frosted 3/4 inch wide frosted tape works great. SMOKIT

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought a copy of Bob Brister's book "Shotgunning the Art and Science" back in 1976 or 35 years ago. I'm sure Bob's suggestion of using a patch of scotch tape on the Off Eye lens was Not a new trick even back then. For me it works in the field shooting ducks and geese because nobody is keeping score but for trapshooting using the 'patch' essentially makes you a one eyed shooter and you must hold a low gun over the trap house. Most of the time, I can get by with the rib blinder concept while keeping both eyes open but I do use every other trick I can think of like a lower gun hold and a hold positioned to the right so that my left eye does not try to take control.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

They work.

Don

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use one on my off eye when shooting left to right crossers in skeet(high house 3,4,5). I'm right handed, left eye dominate, so I shoot lefty. My right eye wants to take over on those crossing targets. Same thing when pass shooting doves and ducks coming from the left. I don't have the problem when shooting trap.

I bought mine from Bob. They come in colors to match my shooting glasses lens.

8. steveziv

steveziv Member

They absolutely work, and made a big difference in my shooting when I added one 20 +/- years ago. I like the fact that Magic Dots have a close match to most lens colors. For whatever reason I found opaque tape less effective (possibly a little distracting?).

Anyway, if you want to use tape, or in my case make your magic dot a little smaller, you can get a clean round dot using a Fiskars Lever Punch. They can be found for 5 bucks or so at most craft/fabric stores.

9. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

I have used them in the past and they helped but started doing eye excersizes to strengthin my right eye and that helped. I still have dots with me when I shoot and have a blinder on the barrle that helps. If I find myself crossing I will put a dot on but havent had to use one in over a year now. But as far as helping or hurting my scores I know it helped them alot when I needed to use one.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dots work.

Curt

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Works for me. Think i suck now, you should have seen my scores before i got the dot. I'm using the actual Browning Dot but Avery makes clear colored round dots that work just as well for a much better savings except it doesn't come with the alignment tool.

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

They work for me.Jerry

13. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Is this a sales pitch or an honest question?

FRedmon

PS - I use tape like an opthamologist uses..

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Probably a sales pitch...but they ARE nice.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I first saw these dots at the Vandalia Grand quite a few years ago. They gave some out free.They vwere very inexpensive for a while and worked great for me. As they caught on, the price was raised out of sight. I have since used a small piece of Scotch matte finish invisible tape. I still see the target come out with both eyes.You have to keep both eyes open to reduce strain. Clyde

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm like a farm dog with a new collar, so they don't work for me. In fact, I'm going back to the BarraKuhna because the cross firing is chasing me like a hungry coyote.

I have a clear visual path to the top of the trap house even though I hold the gun even. And there's no bead/rib/bbl for the off eye to even attempt to use. It's all down and out of the way. Good eye is the one that gets the valuable information. End of story.

I've wondered about a ghost ring set up. I bet it would work too.

It's really fun to shoot.

joekuhn_2008_03036.jpg

17. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I haven't tried the dots, but probably will.

About the time I hot the big 6-0, my intermittent cross dominance came in with a vengeance.

I'm OK with my trap gun (BT-99, with my cheekbones & neck it shoots at 80/20 or so.)

Also OK with my wife's Br. Cynergy 28 ga. (also shoots high)

With my Citori skeet gun, I get buried behind the receiver and shoot about 50% of the crossing 3/4/5 stations from my left eye. Needless to say, they don't break very often.

Had to switch to low gun (so I can see the bird out of the house on the left) and magic tape on the left lens to shoot that gun.

Also thought of putting one of those clear reading glasses lenses (the ones you add to plano sunglasses to make them into "cheaters") Thought that might give me a chance to see a little bit with my left eye, but not have it take over randomly. Anybody tried that?

18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"I get buried behind the receiver and shoot about 50% of the crossing 3/4/5 stations from my left eye"

"Had to switch to low gun (so I can see the bird out of the house on the left) "

Duplicates my experience.

19. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

It was/is the only way I can shoot so it has helped my scores a lot!!!

I really feel that if I could learn to shoot with both eyes my scores would improve again but it's just not reality for me.

In the end, it would be much better to shoot with both eyes. As hard as I try, I can't do it so I settle for the dot. (well, scotch tape as the dot was too small and I always found a way to look around it.)

20. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

Being right eye dominate and shooting left hand, Magic dots are the answer for me. I like being able to closely match my lens colors and precisely positioning the dot along with the fact they leave no residue on my lens.

....Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.