1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Still Shoot Your First Gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

How many of you who have shot - say five years - are still shooting the gun you started with? I doubt it’s a very large percentage of shooters.

BB

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Me. My first gun was a model 12 from 1928. I still shooot it because I shoot it well.

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

Still shooting my 69' 870TC for almost 30 years, I sure have tried other guns and own serveral other trap models but I always come back to the Remington. I usually get in a slump, try all the little fixes, try another gun and everytime I go back to the ole Remington my average picks back up. This game is so much mental.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

My 1970 Browning Broadway has been my only trap gun for the past 40 years. Still shoots like new, ports and all. OTOH the only original parts are the receiver and the forearm.

Eric

5. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Been shooting my Ljutic Mono #66 for the last 32 years. Model 12 was my first gun and I still have it also.

6. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

I still have my first Remington 870 Wingmaster in the gun safe.
    Bought it in 1970 at Scheels Hardware in Fargo for $139.50

Wife is GONE, but I still got my first Remington 870 and I am keeping it.
    I shot trap with it for many years, hunted pheasants, grouse, deer
    ducks, geese and I do not think I have $25.00 of repairs into it either.

Now I do not want to stire up a hornets nest, just letting you
    know, some things you just have to keep

Birddog

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

1969 870tb, still my singles gun.

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My dad wouldn't shoot anything but his 1970 BT-99. Young pups, be wary of an old man shooting an old gun!

9. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

In 1995 I bought my first shotgun, a 12g 30" Browning Special Sporting in Golden Clays trim. Several years later I had Kolar tube it for 20, 28 & 410. A year or two later I had Wally at Medinah fit it with 12g eccentric chokes for trap and doubles. I could see going to a K-gun but this Browning keeps going flawlessly and with no repairs. I'm probably up to 75,000 rounds (shoot in the winter only). Oh well!

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

1 st gun? Are you crazy! What kind of trap shooter would do that? LOL

Chance McCall thanked this.
  11. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I'm not even on my first wife ,,,mx8Dave

Chance McCall thanked this.
  12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

still using a 686 receiver from 13 yrs. ago, different stock, barrels, gun case, trigger......

tony

13. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I still shoot my Krieghoff Mod 32 from 1968. It is probably the best $378.00 that my dad ever spent on me!! i wish he would have splurged the $900-1000 for the Crown grade but i was a snotty kid.

Replaced springs, one lower bbl hammer and that's all that's been done to it. Norbert H. gave it great care during the annual services. It has shot trap, sporting, and a couple of rounds of skeet. I found it difficult to wear the lace panties while skeet shooting.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

14. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I been shooting registered targets since 2002 Started with a Winchester 101XTR Pigeongrade. Still shoot it today. I have made A-25-B With it.
    The stock has a graco adj butt plate added to it. Broke only one 100 straight with. I don't shoot as much as I did 5 yrs ago.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

First shotgun.....Remington 11-48, 28 g. Still shoot it.

First Trap Gun...Savage Mod. 29 coverted to a Trap gun. Brother trims dead tree limbs with it.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You're kidding right?

Citori Trap, Mod 12, another Model 12, another Model 12, 682, Rem 1100, KS-5, another 1100, Perazzi MX-8, 391, Kolar, K-80, Seitz, Super X-1, another Seitz, another SuperX-1, MX 2000, another 391, and an Alfermann.

17. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I still shoot a BT-99 I bought with I was 15, although I did take a few years off from shooting.

Scott...much older than 15

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

still with my 1972 TB but, like Tiger, have had a few flings with 101s, BTs, Citoris, a Daly, a Cynergy and a couple of 1100 traps. Always go back to the one that I shoot without conscious effort.

Ten club championships, never out of top ten, a couple of other wins, a normal average of at least 95%, and more meat shoots/annies/buddies than I can keep track of.

I can cover the dining room table with patches...all but a few won with TB.

If I wanted to sandbag a while, I'd just buy another "trap" gun and shoot for a season but I won't.

TB and I are forever.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Setterman. You are a rookie. I cannot count them (or recall them all)

20. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

My first trap gun was not a trap gun but it was 12 cga,a $350 sile over under I broke my first 100 straight with it ,but it fell apart after 1 year of heavy shooting it rattled like a no 9 shot in an empty beer can,I saved up for a while and bought a BT 99 and am still shooting it 30 yrs later! nothing done to it yet other than a good cleaning it needs new springs but my local"gunsmith" couldnt get the stock off to replace them.BTW it outlasted 2 wives!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 870 first gun and still shooting