1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many states have state shoots for youth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

So was reading the post about the Nebraska state shoot and one member stated we were lucky in Nebraska to have such a program. I had thought most states did this but I must be mistaken. Are the alot of states that dont do this?

BTW, my 13 year old son was no record breaker by anymeans but shot his best yet and hit 80/100. You shoulda seen the smile on his face:) <------and that is what its all about.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Florida has both a youth state shoot and seperate Jr & Sub Jr reduced fees at the regular state shoot. At the state shoot Jr's & SJ's only pay the state & ata fees about $4 a day. Playing options is not allowed.

Eric

3. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

himark,

Your sons face is even gonna have a broader smile the more he shoots.And you wont be able to find a hat big enough to fit your head!!!!!!!Enjoy it.

Sandy Holehouse

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Minnesota has a youth shoot at our state shoot, and now we have a state high school championship. We are not near Nebraska yet, they have the model in our sport but it is only our second year for this event. The NTA has done a great job and you should tell them that, they probably could use the compliments.

Our state shoot youth day allows the kids to shoot up to 200 targets free. We pay their ATA membership and this year we'll give them the first 100 shells. This event has been growing 10% per year and last year we had 220 kids.

The HS shoot started last year. We had 141 kids and eight schools. We pay their targets, ATA membership, and a free lunch. They cover the shells. This year we are expecting more then 200 kids and as many as 12 schools. We hope to pass Nebraska some day in the size of our shoot.

Both of these are great programs and they cost us money. We spend more than $20,000 per year on these two programs. The money comes via donations and raffles. Speaking of raffles, we have one now for a Blaser combo gun. Tickets are $25 each and you can help the kids and get your chance for the gun by sending your check, made out to the MTA to Mark Zauhar, 18756 Knollwood Circle, Lakeville, Mn, 55044. Need not be present to win, we'll cover the shipping to your FFL.

Mark Zauhar, MTA President

5. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Iowa has an Invitational league through the months of March, April & May with a state shoot held in June. To qualify for the state shoot each shooter must paraticipate in at least 4 of the invitationals with two being "away" meets.

There are several hundred kids in the league with about 400 attending the state shoot last year. These are non registered targets. The regular meets consist of 25 - 16yd and 25 - 19yd targets. The state shoot then has 50 of each.

This is set up and administered by the DNR. Funding is all done by the teams and schools (where they're lucky). Teams in their 1st three years can apply for a grant from the Iowa SCTP program.

At our school, Winterset High School, trap is recognized as a letter sport and the school provides transportation.

Proud Coach!!!!

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

The Nebraska High School season starts in March. There are two major conferences the Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference and the Mid Nebraska Trapshooting Conference. The ECTC has more than 1,100 registered shooters. The league is split up into three divisions. There are six shoots starting in mid March. Three venues are used each week, one for each division. The MNTC has a few hundred shooters each week. The meet format for junior high is 50 16 yard targets. The meet format for senior high is 50 16 yard targets followed by 50 handicap targets. The yardage is determined by your 16 yard score. If you shoot 36 or under you shoot from 18 yards, over that you divide by 2 and round up. (i.e. a 44 will put you on the 22 yard line, a 47 will put you on the 24 yard line). Awards are given for team (squad) and for individual. The kids really like the team aspect of the sport. These are not registered targets and most of the shooters in the league do not shoot registered. Funding is done by the teams.

The state meet is hosted by Nebraska Game and Parks. This year there were 1,811 shooters. Junior high shoot 100 16 yard targets, senior high shoots 100 16 yard targets and 100 handicap. Yardage is determined as above. These are not registered targets. A lot of volunteer work from the NTA helps make this meet a go.

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

tachyon-- we have the great pleasure of participating in the SE conferance shoots and we brot 4 carloads of youth shooters to doniphan last weekend--- we LOVE it- great events and lots of kids with parent following!!--- now , here is my question-- as i sat around last friday nite watching the 16 yd shootoffs- i asked my self---HOW MANY OF THESE KIDS OR THEIR PARENTS WILL SHOOT THE REST OF THE YEAR?- IF THEY ASKED ABOUT "REGISTERED" SHOOTS---WHAT CUD I TELL THEM , ON BENEFITS??????

8. turmite

turmite Member

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission started a shotgun program for which this the forth season. It is not affilated with ATA or any other orginization, but it has begun to feed shooters into the AIM program here in Arkansas, and we currently have two shooters with the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

The AGFC invests well over $250,000 per year with insurance coverage for the coaches and students for 6 months included in that.

This year, we have 5140 students. I have to say that is pretty good growth from inception 4 years ago.

I personally have coached students ranging from those that have never handled a firearm to those that are seasoned hunters by the time they are 12! I have also coached a special needs student that was so fidegety on the line it nearly scared me, but after some time, he hit his first bird! That was last year. This year, during practice, he has hit a high of 15! Now you are talking a big grin for him and joy for me.

I wish every state in the nation would set up a program like this.

Mike

9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

The youth here in New Jersey are shooting each other up almost every day.

Same in Chicago

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In Illinois the AIM kids have their own "State Shoot." It happened out of necessity due to the fabulous success of the junior programs and the huge number of shooters.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Virginia has a State Shoot for all kids between the ages of 4 and 99. I will be there.

Pat Ireland

12. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Both of my Boys shot last week at the Cornhusker Shoot. They too didn't break any records but my 15 yr old shot an 82/100 at 16 and an 85/100 at 21, my 13 yr old shot an 81/100 at 16. Both were their season's best.

Let me say as a non-trap shooter myself, I could not be more pleased by this event as well as the entire trap season.

As a youth football and baseball Coach, I never measure the season's success by wins or losses, but rather by how many players come back the next year to play. Let's face it even if you go 0-12, but the players enjoy themselves enough to want to play again, the season was a success.

Both of my Boys will be back behind the trigger next year and I will certainly be behind them supporting them and their Coaches as much as I can.

I had one comment from a relative that lives in NY that with the rise in drive by shootings, the last thing that schools should do is support a gun sport.

I told my relative, that I find it very hard to believe that my Son will ever be able to swing a 34" unsingle shotgun out the window of a Honda in order to do a drive by.

Craig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Texas has two. One is thru the high schools called AG381 which is trap only. The other is thru the 4H shooting sports program. The 4H has 6 disciplines including trap. In trap alone there are 600 - 700 kids shooting.

14. trappypappy

trappypappy Member

The Alabama State Shoot has reduced rates for AIM kids. contact Ken Gordon, AIM director for the state at the above web site. June 3-6,2010

The older Kids enjoy it also! (me)

Trappypappy

15. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

In Wisconsin we have three State Shoots for the youth in Trap. The first is the Mayville High School Shoot with 650 expected next weekend. Second is our WI SCTP State shoot on June 19th and third is the WI AIM State Shoot held with the Wisconsin State Shoot on July 17th.

The WTA also has a Youth Development shoot at the WI State Shoot and also helps with the cost of our youth shooters ATA membership in their second year.

Gary DeSmidt

16. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

so--BLUERAVEN--answer me this--what wud motivate you and your family to continue shooting the rest of the year?? say---registered ATA events????

17. MJC1963

MJC1963 TS Member

Iowa
    also has a AIM state shoot this year july 10th @ big springs shooting range in Searsboro Iowa for the youth and these are registered ATA targets

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

All great programs and all to be applauded

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Here in Missouri we have an annual High School State Shoot sponsored by the Missouri Department of Conservation. Just had it a few weeks ago (April 24th) at Linn Creek and even though it poured rain all day, we had 687 kids shooting (originally had over 900 registered).

The numbers were down this year but no doubt the weather had a lot to do with that. Lots of really severe weather all around but the good Lord kept us out of that, just the rain.

Then there is the State SCTP and AIM shoots there in June.

With our local club, Ozark Shooters, our team has been sponsoring monthly High School Trap tournaments that run from October through the State Shoot. These have grown to where we now average between 80 and 100 kids from as many as 12 schools in Missouri and Arkansas with several traveling several hours to get there.

We will see what tomorrow brings as we are holding one of the AIM Regional Zone shoots there Saturday.

20. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to Gary's post on Youth shooting in Wisconsin.

This year, Tom Wondrash, coach of the Burlington High School Trap Team (and one of our State SCTP Advisors) worked together with several area schools to form a six-team conference.

We have over 200 young athletes in just our first year and have numerous schools looking to join for next year.

Several weeks ago, the Wilmot High school team shot a 124/125!

Check out the website at: http://www.sewisctpconference.com/

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.