1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many shotshells do you reload in one hour?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I just started reloading 12 GA shotshells with a MEC 600 Jr Mark 5 a few months ago. I wanted to see how many shells I can load in 1 hour - I loaded 148.

Just curious how many others can load in 1 hour with a single stage reloader.

How many can you load with a progressive reloader in 1 hour?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

400 with a progressive... 366 pacific

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Hornaday (Pacific) 366 progressive.

Alone over 400 pretty easily.

Two flats+ with my son helping.

SW

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

With a progressive many claim 500, but if you add boxing, casing, labeling, storing & shot/powder/primer filling and all that, something over a flat and a half is more like it.

Neil

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I use a Med 600 Jr. and can load a box in 5 minutes. Couldn't keep up that pace for an hour though.

Gne J

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil,
    I don't box or label my shells. They just go down a chute, into my bucket and off to the range so I do way over 500, even with filling the hoppers and the primer tray. Hydraulic PW 2000 elite.

Ed Yanchok

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

I load my shells in batches of 100.........9000G about 20 mins., Mec650 about half an hour, Mec600 about 45 mins......but I'm in no hurry.

Wayne

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

With the P/W 800+ and hull feeder setup correctly, you could load 500+ in an hour and not break a sweat. I am sure I have done that several times, and had a quart of ice tea while doing it. Boxing, final inspection and fancy labels obviously are not in that time period.

I think having used a Spolar twice now, you could easily hit 500+ with it as well. I don't see why you could not with just about any progressive. Electric might be a tad slower, but really, is not a quality shell reloaded to your favorite recipe count more than an extra hundred or so an hour???

Forgot to mention, hydraulic is in use on both of the above presses. Manual operation would probably be slower, and certainly not as consistent. I had two of the original AutoMate units, one Mec, one P/W and they were terrific, but probably a tad bit slower....which again is "so what".

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use a MEC Grabber and take it slow and easy. I don't like to reload in a hurry as I like to watch the primer fall and see the bar travel. I check the crimp and toss out bad crimps into a bucket of practice shells.

That said, I can usually load and box 500 in a morning or an afternoon. That works out to about 150 - 200 shells an hour. I recently loaded over 1000 shells in an afternoon and early evening. Afterwards, I was very tired and my back hurt.

I still have my old MEC Sizemaster 77 single stage tool. I could load fairly fast on it with the old Winchester AA hull. I could easily do 4 boxes an hour. However, when I reloaded Federal Papers, I slowed down to check the cases for pin holes and to align the creases in the crimp with the high points in the 6 point crimp.

Either MEC loaded a good shell.

Ed Ward

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Glenn, you have reached about the maxium output for your reloader!!! You will make some of the best loads on that machine. Sometimes simple is best. There can be alot more headaches with a progressive machine. Like if you make a mistake you make one in 6 shells at one time with a progressive. You run alot more shells at one sitting so if you do something wrong you have alot more bad shells to take apart to fix. It boils down to how many shells you shoot a week and how much spare time you have on your hands. Only you can answer that question. For most shooters who do not shoot over 150-200 shells a week a single stage loader is fine. I would rather have quality shells over quanity anyday. This is not to say that the progressive machines will not give you a good shell, because they will. But there are trade offs. Hope this helps you abit. If you have any more questions just PM me and will try to help you out more. Break-em all Jeff

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Just got done loading 500 in about 50 minutes on a PW 800C, pulling the lever by hand and filling hoppers and everything. Got in no hurry, changed the radio station many times, and drank a 6 pack while I did it. It took me a few thousand to get used to this machine though.

Mr. Mark

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Glenns, if you want to boost your throughput and lower your shell-to-shell deviation, do two separate 'batch' operations:

- with no powder and no shot, decap/resize and prime; bag your ready-to-fill hulls. These are the 'vibration' steps and are slow, plus rattle things.

- do the three-finger powder, wad, shot, crimp, crimp waltz.

It screws up a good 'count', but you can finish a couple hundred+ shells in a batch that way AND have more consistent loads.

Bob

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

couldnt sleep so gave it a whirl
    12:40 Went down stairs, unlocked powder/primers, filled primer tray, powder and shot bottle. got the hulls and wads out. cranked out 100 shells done at 1:04. I dont box either just put in large box as I load. so I say 250/hour on a 650. With large bottles and a good cup of joe I could probably up it to 300, no rush here though

14. glenns

glenns Member

goatskin - that is a great idea. I make the most mistakes:

1. forgetting to move the hull from primer to shot/wad station. Result - shot all over the reloader.

2. moving hull to shot/wad station and forgetting to move my right hand middle finger from the primer station (ouch - did it tonight).

15. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

little of both psycho, also do my best thinking while I'm reloading!

Mr. Mark

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You're welcome.

The idea was not original to me, but I disremember who I shamelessly and without attribution stole it from ... but he prolly stole it from somebody, too.

Yeah, not having powder and shot all over the place will be different, but I suspect you'll get used to it.

The bonus is the quality & consistency of your drops will skyrocket.

Bob

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

400 per hour.

Pacific 366

Curt

18. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

750-800 on my Dillon.

Ken Rucker

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

Wat more than I can shoot in a day.....366.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just to see how many I could load on my Dillon, I once loaded 100 in less than eight minutes. What's that per hour, about 750?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.