1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many shooters remember this in Vandalia

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shooting at Camp Troy for their evening 50 Bird shoot?

I personally won a lot of money at this shoot, we bought Strawberry Pies at the Restruant, and would eat them before or after the shoot.

I was on the first squad Post #1 my buddy was on post #5 and we broke the only 50 that night and split $3500, I bought a white Stetson Cowboy Hat and a Pair of Cowboy Boots and still have and wear them once in a while.

And loaded up on shooting supplies at Vandalia vendors, where prices were good.

Camp Troy had a daily 100 Bird Handicap Shoot and a Color TV was given away, I remember Dan Cheribeni winning one.

Rudy Manor had a Daily 100 bird Handicap and a nightly 50 Bird shoot both were short distances from Vandalia, Camp Troy to the north and Rudy Manor to the south.

At Camp Troy I remember this big guy from Michigan 300lbs + smoking targets and laughing as he smoked each one, he was shooting 1 1/4oz shot w/Herco he ran the first 40 and then the recoil got to him and he finished out of the money.

I was shooting New Red 7 1/2s AAs 1200 fps., They shot all kinds of shells, one popular one was Federal Pigeon 1 1/4oz shells.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Were the boots white also to match the Stetson? LOL. Mike.

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Gary, They swindled Vandalia away from us but they can't take our memories.
    Clyde Doll

4. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I thought this was going to be about the clubs on North Dixie.

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I remember it well. I shot a 98 and when I got back to the grand they were calling my name on the loud speaker to come to the handicap office.
    Don

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

Oh yeah, I remember Camp Troy. I think that last field had 4 hole targets and a couple of extra winds on the spring.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

My friend, Stanley Bystrek, won a Buick there one night and he too was called into classification the next morning for two yards. Shortly after that, they started shooting the shoots at one yard short of your ATA yardage to avoid that problem.

Ed Yanchok

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Had a lot of fun there but someone else left with the money.

(From the HOF) Robert Clyne,

Year Inducted: 2006
    State: OH

Robert and Roger Clyne of Troy, Ohio perfected the first electrically powered cocking and releasing mechanism for throwing clay targets that was successfully produced commercially—an invention that made possible for clubs to save time and money.

Patented in 1947, the Clyne Puller was first used at the Grand in 1948. Because it was attachment that could be installed on present traps, gun clubs could update their operatic with a minimum of expense. The Clyne Pull was used throughout the country and also Europe and South America.

"It's one of the things that changed trapshooting the most through the years," Dave Bohlender told Jim Morris of the Dayton Daily News. "There are several reasons why scores have improved, and it is one of them." Bohlender put the Clyne brothers' names in front of the Hall of Fame selection committee and for many years advocated their induction.

Bob Allen, 1982 Trapshooting Hall of Far enshrinee, once wrote an article on the hand pulled traps used in the past and said this about the Clyne Puller: "Prior to the Clyne Puller, traps we released by a mechanical pipe running through the ground to the trap and back to a pull station behind the firing line. Depending upon the physical strength and reflexes of the puller, the kind of pulls received was anything but consistent. The Clyne Puller did much improve this situation.

"The Clyne Puller was also a boon to the clubs as a labor saver. With the old mechanical puller, a separate scorekeeper was required now with the Clyne Puller the same person could score and pull. Thus the Clyne Puller was a great milestone in the trapshooting world."

Roger and Robert Clyne had a small machine shop and in the 1940s and 1950s ran the Camp Troy Gun Club, where the electric puller was first used. This club was also well known for its night shoots during the Grand.

In addition, Bob and his wife Katie cashier at the Grand along with other shoots in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Florida and in the West.

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Butch, I thought you would get a response about the clubs on North Dixie. Apparently not too many oldtimers on this thread. Tom

I spent a few evenings at Camp Troy up the Interstate to Troy. After dark shoots and a lot of excitement. This was part of the trip to the GRAND. As far as the North Dixie clubs, I take the fifth.

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

For years, I ate at the Vandalia grill, corner of Ohio 25 & US 40. I would then go up to Camp Troy. Like most I usually left my money. I was told the 2 west traps had international springs and threw 4 hole targets by a shooter that would have known. It was a blast, the card games were also pretty much wide open. You could win a lot of money but the club cooperated with the ATA and would notify them of big or repeat winners especially on the 100 target events. As I recall the high gun on the first 10 squads during the day also got a small color tv.

Rudy gun club was east of Vandalia, the first exit off of I 70 east of I 75 as I recall. They shot pretty much the same program as Camp Troy. They started shooting after the housing subdivision got built adjacent to Camp Troy. Rudy got involved with some shady stuff that involved the ATA and he got his ticket pulled which caused him to close.

Both clubs had some heavy drinking going on. A friend of mine from Indiana was shooting quite late at Troy and had been in the sauce. When he went from post 5 to 1 he tripped, crawled the rest of the way to post 1 and shot at his last 5 targets while on his knees. He ran the last 5 from the 27.

11. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

TjayE There were many years of shooting at Camp Troy Before the interstate was built. Interstate 75 was not completed in that area until almost 1960.

John Thompson I believe the restaurant you mentioned was called the Vandalia Cafeteria and it was owned by the Brusman family.

Dave

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Somebody should rent 4 traps at the far end of the line in Sparta and resurrect the good old days at Camp Troy.

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

The worst thing I remember about 2005, the "Last Grand" in Vandalia was the Gas station almost opposite the main entrance to the ATA. They raised the price of gas by .35/gal in one day. "Welcome Shooters". Larry Evans

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

how about the shucken shack, jay's or the place across from the grounds that had the really great chicken and pizza. It was in the corner of the shopping center and now long gone.

Big John Cantrell selling hats and Jack Poole selling guns.

motordoc

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Do you wear the hat and boots OUTSIDE?

16. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Motor doc. That was Bill Poole from Muncie, Ind. his wife Hazel is still alive and his son JR works for The NRA. I used to shoot with Bill and Hazel(she was a better shot) long before he got in the gun business.

I remember Big John, the last time I saw him he weighed about 130 lbs., down from 300 +. He had been riding a golf cart and had his leg hanging out and ran into a guy wire on a utility pole. The leg broke and never healed due to his being diabetic of which he was not aware. He was gone before the next year.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I swear they had 2-way radios between someone watching and the trap kid and he's put on a rubber target, if it looked like you were going to run them.

I could run every single target but the last one. I smack it and it changed directions, but never broke.

Even one of my customers a few years ago and I got into a discussion about this very subject and he was from Troy or close. He felt the same way as I have all these years.

WW

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

One night when we were there, my friend, Bernie Porzig, had a target come out and when he shot it, it broke in two and spun through the air like a bolo. The two pieces were held together by a piece of tape.

Ed Yanchok

19. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

As I remember, the 50 bird nightshoot was 25 16"s & 25 what you broke. Once I managed to break 46 straight. Ended up with 49 x 50 & must have paid $400.00 / $500.00 which was lots of money. This shoot lasted very late at night. They had a tin sign inside that had been shot with a .22 rifle & looked like an Indian head if I remember correctly. Wayne Downham / Camden, IN

20. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

many of those tin signs were made by the shooting gun or ammo reps. I have one signed by tom frye and there is one at my club made by ken berger. They are a work of art and done free hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clyne pullers

the vandalia cafeteria the brusman