1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many rounds of trap do you shoot per month?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Practice, probably 3 or 4 rounds of 16's, 1 of Hcap and ZERO dubs
    For Competition, including the LEague (50 Singles only) add another 100 of each if there is a local shoot....

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Practice- 20 rounds of singles, about 12 rounds of handicap, and 0 doubles as my club does not have a doubles trap.

Competition- On average, about 4 rounds of singles, 4 rounds of handicap and yet again, 0 doubles as I can't get any practice in on them.

That's about 1000 shells a month, and that's still pretty hard to keep up on reloading. Josh

3. bkt

bkt TS Member

I shoot about 800 rounds a month.
    Singles - 500
    Doubles - 200
    Handicap - 100

Always looking for a good reload combinations, if you have one to share

4. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

16-20 rounds of practice a month. And 4 rounds of singles competition and 4 rounds of Handicap competition a month.

-Mike

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

It varies so much month to month that any average is meaningless.

This past Sunday I shot one round of singles, one from 21 yards, and one from 27 yards. Wednesday night I went out but did not even take a gun. I just relieved a fellow Board member at the counter so he could go home early. The week before I was in Oregon on vacation without a gun, and got in five rounds of golf instead of shooting. A few weeks ago I shot all 1000 program targets at the Western Zone (400 singles, 400 handicap, 200 doubles), plus 100 nonregistered handicap the night before it started. A week or so before that there were 100 registered of each at Magna UT. A week or so before that 200 doubles, 200 singles, 300 handicap registered at Pocatello, next week 1100 registered at the Pocatello Gun Shoot.

Come fall it will be a lot more hunting, a lot less trap.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

About 12 rounds of prctice ...and... 30 to 35 rounds of competition.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

anywhere between 2 and 8 max

8. nothin but dust

nothin but dust TS Member

Practice:

Singles: Anywhere from 5 to 6 flats

Handicap: Same as singles

Doubles: About 3 flats

Compition:

Singles about 1200 targets

Handicap about 1000

doubles around 700

Josh dejong

9. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

30 to 35 rounds of practice from october through may. less in the summer and no competition june-september because of the heat -- health reasons. We shoot year-round in Louisiana.

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I normally shoot 9000 - 10,000 registered a year. As I get older I still shoot the same amount yearly but only in the warm half of the year.

Singles 600 reg. & 200 practice @ mo.
    Hdcp 500 " 200 " "
    Dbl. 400 " 200 " "

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

singles- around 10 rds./mo. - 0 hand. 0 doub.- WWAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down from last year. My oldest boy is 3 1/2, so I take him places now, and we had another boy back in May. Between work, side work, being a club director, kids, wife, and home maintinence, I have developed a severe lack of time. But it is well worth it. :)

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Registered so far this target year. 16 yd 2550 Handicaps 1950 Doubles 2400
    Thats about 36 25 bird rounds per month but some months are higher.
    Practice so far this year 16 yard 1100 Handicaps 225 doubles 650
    Thats about 8 25 bird rounds per month again some months more than others.

WHY

--- Chip King ---

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

About 30 -32 rounds per month, about 50/50 singles and handicap, maybe another 8 or so on doubles. This year I've also shot 3600 singles, 3500 caps and 800 doubles. I'll add a few hundred more at the Grand next week and then start all over for next year on the big 4 day Labor Day shoot we have. Every year I try to increase my totals by a few hundred, hoping to get to about 10,000 registered targets a year.

14. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Josh... are those 1200 registered singles, 1000 registered handicaps, and 700 registered doubles? You said competition not registered but I am assuming they were registered.

On top of that, 5-6 flats for practice.

All of this in one month?

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a combined +- 15,000 registered targets each year and there are very few weekends in the warm months that I am not shooting. I travel to Florida twice during the cold months and shoot.

But, so far this year, my total practice rounds have been 0. I have a key to the club and I could practice anytime I wished, but I don't. Anyone see a problem with this? I do.

Pat Ireland

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When I was shooting, I used to shoot at least 10 rounds of 25 on Saturday and sometimes though rarely the same on Sunday, that was besides the games (Oakleys and Protections)... I have shot registered when it was so hot (122 deg.) in Arizona that I was seeing two targets instead of only the one that was coming out of the house, so I shot in between them and did alright ... I do not shoot singles except on a very rare occasion or doubles ever, only handicap ... Now, I use the same money that I would use for shooting to feed my love for classic cars and when its all done, the finished car is my trophy ... The trophy thats sitting in the garage right now has a 472 cu in. (600 HP) Hemi under the hood of it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

I sure do Pat. Let me offer a suggestion if I might. Take 1 shooting buddy (or have them meet you there) and ONLY 2 boxes of shells to a practice session. Set up and shoot a round. Then relax, BS, solve all the worlds problems Etc. Then when the urge strikes shoot up the second box. Relax, BS, solve any problems you missed then clean up and go home.

This routine helps keep practice fun for me. If I have to practice alone I find a lot of excuses not to go. I have found that any more than just you and a single buddy starts to drive a "squad" mentality that takes the practice from fun to WORK plus it takes away the one on one conversations that help you relax and enjoy the day.

--- Chip King ---

18. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I try to shoot at least a flat of shells per weekend, except on shoot weekends, when it's an average of 600 birds.

Plus registered skeet

Plus 150 per week at league, 32 weeks per year.

I know I've gone through close to 40 bags of shot so far this year.

19. otnot

otnot Active Member

I shoot about 30-25 practice rounds a month and another 24 rounds of registered targets. If I had the money and the time JeffP does I would shoot as much as him. LOL

20. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Singles practice 8, singles registered 8

Handicap practice 8, handicap registered 8

Doubles registered 10

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

average rounds shot at trap competition

how many rounds in trap shooting

how many rounds to shoot a week to compete