1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How many reloads out of Federal Gold Medal ribbed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

How many times do you reload a Federal Gold Medal ribbed plastic hull
    (Turkey shoot loads)?

NOTE: I have been reloading STS and usually get 7 or 8 times.

Thaanks in advance. Bill

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

The OLD style with the high brass were good for several loads,The new style with shorter brass are junk in my opinion.I loaded some of these for the turkey shoot and a freind told me they might seperate from the brass and they did!!! 1& a 1/4 oz loads at 1250 fps.The paper hulls are my favorite!Be Carefull.

PJ

3. Bill Roberts

These are the ones with 1/2 inch of brass.

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

That sounds like the old style with the ribs,The new style is smooth .Go ahead and load 4 or 5 and give them a try.I used to load them alot back in the 80's and they loaded 6-7 times before the crimp got weak.Hot loads will wear them out faster.The Federal paper hull is the best for my turkey loads.The STS and Nitro's are also good.
    Someone else will chime in on this post I am sure there is someone that likes these hulls and they will give another view.PJ

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I get 6 or 7 reloads out of the ribbed ones with no trouble---The smoothies are good also but there has been some hipe about them separating from the brass---I never had that problem but have heard that some will separate---
    MYSTIC

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

15 is about normal for the older ribbed style hulls 10 for the newer smooth hulls.

Rock

Jim

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Federal had a board on the wall at Vandalia with 20 gold medal hulls, each one loaded once more than the one next to it.

20 times. The 20x hull had 8 separate fingers where the mouth used to be.

8-10 times is kid stuff for those hulls. They just might last as long as a Remington Premier.

HM

8. Bill Roberts

Thx guys!

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I've got some marked 1982 Grand that have 5 or 6 reloads so far. I load them on a PW800C. Still look good so far.

Age doesn't seem to affect them. I've kept them in a cool dry environment.

Reloaded the smooth hulls two times without any separation (1 OZ.) so far, but I look them over real good.

Ribbed hulls are back but it might be awhile before the smooth are exhausted.

Regards.....Gerald

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The new Federal Gold Medal plastics are now ribbed. I have some of the older ribbed Gold Medal hulls that have been reloaded many, many times. I discard them to the practice bucket when the crimp shows a torn petal.

I reload the smoothies also but they do not last as long as the older ribbed hulls.

As to turkey shoot hulls, whatever the hull, I reload only once fired and then discard. These hulls are used for money shoots and I don't want anything but once fired.

A few turkey shooters I know that do real well, prefer to reload the Estate or Wally World Federal ribbed plastic hull with the paper base wad. They only reload it once but they claim that the recoil is a little softer and that there is more room in the hull for shot. Some of these old boys load up to 2 ounces of shot and a reduced load of Alliant Herco. I will not quote the grains. They work up to these loads in strong actions (Kolar, etc.) so proceed at your own risk.

To summarize, for Federal ribbed hulls, IMO you should load a once fired once for games and discard after one round.

Ed Ward

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The old Ribbed ones usually went 7 or 8 loadings before they showed any signs of failure. Pin holes, mouth splits, etc started to appear after that. Sometimes a little before, depending on the load. Heavy loads seemed to wear them out sooner.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill..... Ed Ward, above, is right on the money. If you are using these once fired hulls just for turkey shoot loads, load them one time and then dump them. You are talking about either money or prizes on the line for that one shot, so use the best you can get. Don't compromise on your turkey shoot loads!! If you must keep them, reload them for practice, or doubles, but, not again for turkey loads. I like the ribbed GM or the Top Guns for my turkey shoot loads. I load them with 13/8oz of buffered #5 shot, RP12 wad, and lots of Herco... Same load in a Federal Paper hull but with more Herco..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Bill Roberts

Can you load the Wall Mart federals the same as the plastic Gold medal's once then chuck them? I'm loading 1 3/8oz, Powder is 4756, 30.5 with a red wad and federal 209A primer. (I'm talking about the ones that come in the 4-packs)

Thx Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many reloads out of gold medal hulls