1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

How many reloads from federal papers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by geeber, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geeber

geeber Member

I have a good many once fired paper feds from shooting in Florida this winter & spring. I came up with a real good load but I'm not sure how many times I can safely reload these cases. I'm sure there are some guys on here with experience using these cases.

Thanks,

Gary B.
  2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Examine the cases for pinholes around the brass head before reloading. Those with the pinholes hit the trash. In most cases somewhere around the 3rd to 4th loading.
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Shadow is right on. I have gotten 6 times on some but the key is to look at the hulls. They will either burn out ( pin holes) at the brass or split up the side. I have loaded even when they had pin holes if not to bad but they tend to seperate from the brass leaving the hull in the chamber. I dont shoot anything else
  4. geeber

geeber Member

That makes sense you guys, I'll probably let them hit the ground after the third reload. Thanks for the help.

Gary B.
  5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Three reloads seem about right!!
  6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

First reload fine, second one you're getting some confetti, and the third one I get pinholes and much confetti.
  7. geeber

geeber Member

The reason I was asking is, a while back I got some samples from Downrange for their 8 petal 12S3 replacement wad. I loaded some paper Feds up with a Federal 209A primer and 18 grains of 700X. I couldn't believe the breaks. It turned 16 yard targets into nothing but smoke. Well, at least the ones I hit. I have loaded old style AAs and STSs but never got breeaks like the paper fed.

Gary B.
  8. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

I also use 700X. Check even after the first reload for the start of little pin holes around the brass. Once you notice the start of pinholes(one or two small ones), load one more time and toss. You usually will toss after the 3rd reload. You may squeeze out 4 on a few hulls.

There is nothing better!

Jim
  9. jimsw

jimsw TS Member

Once. If you get confetti that is a sign paper is spalling off particularly around the glue joint. When that happens gas will jet past the wad and actually melt the side of the wad. I've seen it happen and recovered wads to prove it. I only load them once that is enough.
  10. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.